Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have cat like chihuahuas, but Draco seems to like hunting for "stuff" Last summer we had a few field mice that liked our wild flowers. More than once, Draco would catch and kill one. He would not eat it though, just throw it around like a cat until I noticed and took it away. Last evening I got home and hubby said "Guess what Dra did today" Seeing as it is freezing outside and there are no mice, I had no clue.
He killed a sparrow and "ATE" the head...it totally freaked me out. I guess he was outside and came in with the bird and was eating it by his dog door. Hubby saw him hunching over something and figured it was a stick or some other garden trash that he brought in. Then Dra started throwing it around and Gary saw that it was a bird with no head. He got it away from him and threw it away. A couple of hours later Draco threw up feathers and crap...I can only imagine. Is it common for these dogs to be little killers...I was used to this behavior with cats, but am surprised by Draco actually catching and eating a bird.
Needless to say, no kissing was allowed from him last night. ewwwwwwww

·
Registered
497 Posts
hmm, have you been feeding him raw or is this just something he has started doing? Has he always had "terrier-like" behaviour? Some chis will hunt small creatures. but to play with them is another thing lol.

I think if you let him out in the yard you should keep an eye on him because he could try to eat the wrong thing.

i caught shivers just reading about your pup eating the bird head. What were chihuahuas originally bred for? Hunting rats?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
LOL!! OH my!!! that would be a shocker, wouldn't it. Finding a headless bird!! YUCK. I would worry most about mites and parasites from outdoor wildlife. But Draco is probably just fine and mighty proud of himself for being a mighty hunter. :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, have you been feeding him raw or is this just something he has started doing? Has he always had "terrier-like" behaviour? Some chis will hunt small creatures. but to play with them is another thing lol.

I think if you let him out in the yard you should keep an eye on him because he could try to eat the wrong thing.

i caught shivers just reading about your pup eating the bird head. What were chihuahuas originally bred for? Hunting rats?
I feed him the Natures Variety Medallions...they are a processed form of raw. He does get some fresh raw meat a couple of times a week, but mostly the medallions. He is a well fed dog, so it is not as if he was hungry. I hope he doesn't go after a rabbit or squirrel, it would be a tussle to be sure, for now he just chases them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would love to see a chi hunting something. I've never seen one stalk and creep up on something and pounce.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!! OH my!!! that would be a shocker, wouldn't it. Finding a headless bird!! YUCK. I would worry most about mites and parasites from outdoor wildlife. But Draco is probably just fine and mighty proud of himself for being a mighty hunter. :)
I am hoping that he got most of it out of his system by throwing up...we have tons of birds around here with a healthy population of pidgeons, which are notorius for carrying parasites. I guess I should speak to his vet about prevention...do you suppose the heartworm medicine protects him from other parasites?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am hoping that he got most of it out of his system by throwing up...we have tons of birds around here with a healthy population of pidgeons, which are notorius for carrying parasites. I guess I should speak to his vet about prevention...do you suppose the heartworm medicine protects him from other parasites?
I would be more concerned if he had eaten the body of the bird. I don't think there are any parasites in the head, they are mostly in the "guts". I know that some heartworm meds do protect against different worms, so he's probably covered. I am still laughing at the visual though of the headless bird and the mighty hunter Draco!!! :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I was going to say possible he found a dead one. I've ever seen a dog, let alone a small one, sneak up on a sparrow!
While I'm sure I would be disgusted if my dogs did that if he did catch it I'm impressed! Haha. Pretty amazing.

And, if that isn't a testament for how dogs should be eating then nothing is. Even a "frail little thing" like a chihuahua wants to hunt his dinner ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know that the chihuahusa history isnt really clear but the chi wiki says they hunted in packs. So i know they had to hunt small prey... like birds, small rabbits, rats, fowl etc. If we think about it chis are known to be courageous barkers that will run up to anything and puff its chest out. That trait would be useful in a dog that hunts. They are pretty fast to be so small; a chi can out run a shih tzu in a heartbeat from what ive seen.

But at the same time everything i read says that chihuahuas were bred to be companions. Idk lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
holy moly. thats crazy, a headless bird....i wouldve taken a pic! awesome memory lmao. dexter likes to pounce on his toys and balls and outside hes mostly just sniffing around. i oftenn get worried when hes chewing on something outside evver since he got tapeworms before i really dont want him doing it again lol. why cant wild animals cleanup after themselves hahaha :( oh draco u might hunter, should be proud!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Wow...what a great little hunter you have there! About as far as my pups have gone is to find bugs during the summer & playing with them. LOL I could never imagine them stalking, killing & eating a life bird/rodent though nature is nature so who knows! I'm quite impressed if Dra in fact did hunt that sparrow down -wowza! I'd run it by the vet when you see them next. Though come to think of it I don't see where it's much different than my pups hunting down poo of gosh knows what wild animal & eating it. Bleck!! If there is poo around they'll hunt THAT down & either roll all through it or eat it. Now that's EW. LOL

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Today we took Brody on a walk to a pond with canada geese. There was poop everywhere. I tried to watch him, but he stopped and before I could stop him - he had slurped up a huge mouthful of goose poo!! GROSS!!!! I think I'd rather him eat a bird head than that!!! Such a naughty boy. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Today we took Brody on a walk to a pond with canada geese. There was poop everywhere. I tried to watch him, but he stopped and before I could stop him - he had slurped up a huge mouthful of goose poo!! GROSS!!!! I think I'd rather him eat a bird head than that!!! Such a naughty boy. ;)
There is something in that goose poop that they love... when we go by the lake, I have to constantly be on top of them or they'd eat every piece we pass. Blech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts