Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Chloe recently worked out how to get on the couch. She couldn't get down at first but I've been teaching her to jump off at a certain spot where she lands on a rug so she doesn't slip on the hardwood floor and she has been doing it fine, I even saw her do it twice all by herself last night.

You may have also read that because of her reflux condition as of yesterday Chloe has been on new food and new medication as of yesterday.

Well this morning I was woken up at 5am by an allmighty hollering comming from my husband. He had gone to sit on the couch to eat his cereal and found it covered in poop! It's lucky he is actually awake and functioning at that hour and saw it, if it was me I probably would have sat in it before I realized. Disgusting runny poop had been scooted and walked all around the couch and the cushions and the throw! Thank goodness the couch is leather is all I can say! Miss Chloe had got up onto the couch in the night and forgotten how to get down. If she had been on ZP she would have done a tiny hard little nugget that would have been picked up, the couch wiped down and the whole thing forgotten about in 5 seconds. But because she is on gross Eukanuba canned food the vet made me give her she made an ungodly smelling mess that took me about a half hour to scrub out of the grain of the leather. Axle also jumped on the couch and stepped in the mess and then tracked it all over the floor and Chloe had it all over her back end and her feet so they both had to have a wash and I had to mop the floor as well. The entire cleansing process took an hour and a half!

I've decided to put her back on ZP and not do the medication for a few days until her tummy settles as this is the second explosive dhiarreah episode from her this week (the other one was just on the wooden floor so no biggie) and then if she's looking refluxy again I will do the Carafate but still feed her ZP.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but I am so sorry Chloe is not well. I really hope she gets over this really quickly. I can only imagine how she much have felt being trapped on the couch and pooping in a way that she instinctively knew wasn't right. God love her. :(

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor thing! How embarrassing for MS Chloe. Hope she feels better!
And her mother hasn't helped by telling everybody has she?!?!? Poor sweetie pie, she knew she did something bad. I really thought she had the hang of jumping down when I saw her do it last night but obviously not! She might sleep in the laundry tonight if she's still not right in the tummy, just to avoid any more epic cleanups.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Poor babe!

I'm glad you took her off that Euka Yucky stuff. Definitely the right decision.

Hope baby Chloe feels better soon. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad you took her off that Euka Yucky stuff. Definitely the right decision.
Its just dissappointing when that's the kind of advice you get from your vet. They really should know better! I wanted to do what was best for Chloe so I tried it but after that reaction i'm certainly not going to keep it up.

I've heard over and over again how they get next to no training on nutrition and have the bad stuff pushed on them by the big manufacturers but I still shake my head when the vet recommends that stuff for a dog with a sensitive stomach, hasn't heard of ZiwiPeak and asks with concern if she's on an all meat diet?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Its just dissappointing when that's the kind of advice you get from your vet. They really should know better! I wanted to do what was best for Chloe so I tried it but after that reaction i'm certainly not going to keep it up.

I've heard over and over again how they get next to no training on nutrition and have the bad stuff pushed on them by the big manufacturers but I still shake my head when the vet recommends that stuff for a dog with a sensitive stomach, hasn't heard of ZiwiPeak and asks with concern if she's on an all meat diet?
Eukanuba is better then what my vet reccomends.

"Purina Dog Chow, Iams and Science Diet are the best foods on the market!"

Direct quote. Yeah, right. :foxes15:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sarah...I would never tell you how to manage Chloes condition but...it concerns me that you are going to withhold her meds...GERD causes ulceration anywhere from the esophagus to the anus...and they are very painful do to the " stomach juices " laying on the open wounds....please reconsider about giving her the meds....the food certainly is something you must decide on, and I know with Bella it was trail and error as to what works best for her....hugs to Chloe...

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
And her mother hasn't helped by telling everybody has she?!?!? Poor sweetie pie, she knew she did something bad. I really thought she had the hang of jumping down when I saw her do it last night but obviously not! She might sleep in the laundry tonight if she's still not right in the tummy, just to avoid any more epic cleanups.
Mom's can be so embarassing! Geez I thought I trained her better than that. :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sarah...I would never tell you how to manage Chloes condition but...it concerns me that you are going to withhold her meds...GERD causes ulceration anywhere from the esophagus to the anus...and they are very painful do to the " stomach juices " laying on the open wounds....please reconsider about giving her the meds....the food certainly is something you must decide on, and I know with Bella it was trail and error as to what works best for her....hugs to Chloe...
I just wanted to get her stools to firm back up again which they did after 2 meals of ZP so I gave her the Carafate again this morning. I guess I will see when I get home tonight if it was that or the Eukanuba that caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a *strange* suspicion that it was the nasty crap in a can, Sarah! Please let us know.
She had the runs on Friday though when she was on ZP and her other medication. She has finished her antibiotics and the vet wanted to change the motility drug for the Carafate and change the diet. Not sure if it's anything in particular or just too much change at once for someone with a sensitive little tum. Process of elimination required to find out firstly what is giving her the runs and then what her actual GI issue is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.