Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the pet store over the week end picking up some food and the nice lady there noticed I was reading the THK boxes and offered me a few samples.
She gave me a sample of Force and Verve so I was kinda excited to try it out since its much cheaper than ZP. So I got home and mixed it up according to the directions and let them have it I was really optimistic at this point. Well Peebo walks up to it sniffs it takes a lick and walks away so I was like ok may its just new and he isn't used to the texture or smell so I gave it to Princess she basically did the same thing but she took a good mouthful and than for lack of a better phrase spit it out all over the floor!
I left it on the floor for a bit to see if they would come back and eat it but a funny thing happened, our cat Ash who hates all food and baths loved it! He ate the whole bowl and was looking for more so I guess for my family THK bombed with the dogs but my cat seems to love it so I will look into getting some for him.
I still have a bag left of the Verve so I might give that a try tonight and see if I have some luck.
Does anyone have an issue with your little ones NOT eating THK? If so how did you get them to eat? are mine spoiled? seems like a good food great list of ingredients and its reasonably priced compared to ZP.

Dean

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I had issues at first. Both of mine turned their nose up at it the first time. The second time Roo tasted a bit, but didn't want any more. Pip still wouldn't try it. I think it was the texture possibly that they were unsure about. Now they absolutely LOVE it. They run around and vibrate with excitement while they're waiting for it. Go figure. :lol: So... I would persist for a bit before you decide it's a definite no go. :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Poor peebo and princess! Lol yea takes a bit of them getting used to it. My bfs cat loved cat prowl. Dex doesnt mind his thk at times...he eats it with friedup chicken breasts though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm I might give that a try maybe some chicken would make it more appealing or some M&M's! j/k I am off in a few minutes so lets see how it goes its funny because Peebo eats anything I have never seen him turn down food.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I wouldn't make the whole sample up, maybe just try a spoon full and see how it goes. Then the next day the same etc.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes. :) Equal parts usually works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My two went bananas over it when I brought it home, they just love ANYTHING I give them and i've never seen either one say no to any food yet. Vegetables etc. you name it, they'll eat it if I give it.

That being said, i've heard it takes getting used to for some.

I just got my friend started on it for his cats and they both adore it, it took one of them a couple tries of mixed in kibble but after that he was on the bandwagon.

ZP is great, but expensive so if it can be a transition for you to THK that's great, we can all afford to save a little money here and there.

Best of luck, I don't use them often but mix ins I use are: ground turkey, scrambled eggs and occasionally red meats.

edit* I also fed embark during the samples and I feed Keen regularly.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mine ate it from the start. BUT, if you don't "cook" it right, they will look at it and walk away. This is only my two chis, my terrors will eat it as soup or dry if they could.

I do add extra items- meat, organs. eggs, tripe, pumpkin.

Verve is my dogs least favorite. I think Zeal is their favorite.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am constantly amazed at all the different names you guys post on here for pet foods, it all seems so foreign to me! I have never seen any of them in Australia!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My picky eater ate it at first then had a phase where she did not like it, now she gobbles it up whenever it's put down :)

The key I've learned is she eats what I want her to eat, or she doesn't eat. Since I stopped catering to her, she has become a much better eater over time. It's taken patience, as I MADE her a picky eater as a puppy by mixing and chemisting all sorts of concoctions trying to get her to eat (I didn't know any better!). But now she's pretty good. I don't worry if she skips a meal or two, even though she is only 3.5 lbs, she is healthy and strong and if she's not hungry, she doesn't have to eat.

I think THK is a great product, esp. if you are willing to mix in things like meats, cottage cheeses, etc. and its just so much gentler on their systems than kibble is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok tried it again last night I mixed some chicken in it and.... They ate the chicken and left the THK! But its cool this time I only used a spoonful so I still have a lot left over so I will try it again tonight. I made one at a 1:1 ratio and the other at 1:1.5
Oh and I have to point out they are not picky they will pretty much eat anything I caught Peebo eating some aluminum foil before lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ok tried it again last night I mixed some chicken in it and.... They ate the chicken and left the THK! But its cool this time I only used a spoonful so I still have a lot left over so I will try it again tonight. I made one at a 1:1 ratio and the other at 1:1.5
Oh and I have to point out they are not picky they will pretty much eat anything I caught Peebo eating some aluminum foil before lol
sparkly poopies!!!

let them get a little hungry, it won't hurt them, and even on THK's website they say some dogs just take longer to adjust :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yeah, I agree, let them get a bit hungry. As I mentioned before, it took mine a bit, but they both love it now so who knows, maybe yours would too. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahaha sparkly poopies!!!
Yes that is my plan I only fed them half this morning of what I usually feed them.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
All three of my dogs were hesitant to eat Honest Kitchen at first too. It took about a week for them to really eat it like they would any other kibble or canned food. Once they realized that it was all they were getting they gave in. Now they gobble their HK like there's no tomorrow and boy you should hear all the whining, jumping and barking my pack does while waiting for their HK to rehydrate now.

I don't feed HK exclusively, I mix things in on a daily basis and rotate between different add ins as well as HK formulas. As far as HK formulas I feed mostly Keen, Force and Verve. However my dogs love all the formulas equally. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts