Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to switch my girls to THK. I am unsure which one to buy though. Bailey has a sensetive tummy and defenitly need one that will be good for trying to control weight. Any suggestions on which one would be best? Also, if I make too much at one time can I refrigerate it for the next meal?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My Midgie has severe food & environmental allergies & I started her on the Preference because I could add the meat I wanted her to have. She's allergic to turkey, so I add boiled or cooked chicken, or a whole can of Wild Caught Alaskan Pink Salmon, or Steak pieces that I buy discounted from the store. I bring water to barely a boil (1 1/2) cups water & add 1 Cup Preference. You don't want to add the food if the water's too hot as this will continue to cook the food. Then I add my meat & mix. Before I add my meat, I let the food sit & soak up the water about 10 min., then I add meat & mix. I divide the food up 1/2 cup which makes about 3 servings. You have to be careful not to let this food sit out too long. It contains alfalfa which can grow some kind of fungus & cause Listeria so if your chi doesn't eat all of the serving, pick it up. Since your trying to manage weight control, you may want to give a little less. I feed Midgie one serving at breakfast & one at supper. This morning I mixed in Steak with 1 scrambled egg & a couple pinches of Nupro. She gobbled it up. She's been on the Preference for over a month. I only make 1 batch at a time & at feeding time, I just take out of fridge & feed her right from fridge. I don't even heat it & she's o.k. with that. Since I'm almost done with the 10 lb box of Preference, I ordered her some Force for the times I don't have meat to mix in & she loves it. You don't have to always add meat to the Preference, but she definitely likes it better. You'll just have to read the labels of the different foods to see which would suit Bailey best.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, going to go to the store and pick some up to add to tonight's dinner. Hopefully they like it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that my local pet store has THK in stock. Just ran out and grabbed the Keen and Thrive. I am going to make a batch for dinner and mix it with their wellness kibble(once its gone not going to buy anymore). I am guessing will still have enough for the morning meal as well. Hoping I make it right and they eat it!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think you made great choices to start with :) We love the Keen and it's super affordable, I use it as a staple here :) I am going to try the one with beef next and just be sure to add in my own beef as I don't know why it isn't the first ingredient on it. But I think switching everyone off of poultry for a month or so will be good!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Sounds like you've already got things sorted but I'd also recommend Thrive for sensitive dogs. Force and Embark are also excellent choices. Keen is also a great choice and even my sensitive dogs do very well on Keen. My dogs do best on Force though.

As for keeping THK, it really should be used up the day it's made but if you do end up with leftovers you'll want to refrigerate it and use it up the next day.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the great advice. The girls loved Keen. I did mix it with their dry food so it would not be so much on their tummies but even my picky LC Oreo licked the bowl clean. It seems that I put a little more of water than food so hope to possibly mix each amount individually so I can control how much they get. Should I be feeding the same amount I was feeding of wellness?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You feed according to weight. For reference, my Chi Daisy is 5.5#, she gets 1/8 cup (2 TBSP) per meal. The measurements are taken when the food is dry (before you add water).
Ditto.

The box of HK says for dogs up to 10 lbs:
1/4 cup for less active dogs
1 cup for more active dogs

My two chi girls get 1/6 cup of dry measured HK each with an additional 1-2 tbsp of meat or canned food added daily and they weigh 6.5 lbs and 7 lbs. If I decide not to mix any meat or canned food to their HK then I up their portions to 1/4 cup.

Truthfully, for the average chihuahua under 7 lbs I'd say a good starting point would be 1/4 cup of dry measured HK daily and then tweak the amount as needed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! The measurements help so much. I think this morning I fed too much because they left some in their dishes. Hopefully I will have it down within a few days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts