Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local dog food place the other day and saw that they had samples of THK. I picked up a couple since I had heard such great things about it on here. I got Embark and Keen. Tonight I thought I'd fix one of them and split it between the 4 dogs to see if they liked it. I'm not sure which one I did first but I followed the directions to add 1.25-1.5 cups of water (I added 1.25). The package said it would look like soup but give it 5-10 minutes to rehydrate. I waited 10 minutes but it still just looked like greenish/brownish soup. No substance to it at all. So I threw it out and tried the second sample. That one said to add 1-1.25 cups of water but I just added 0.5 It also looked like soup but it did solidify somewhat after a few minutes. It was still kind of a nasty greenish color though.

Did I do something wrong? :confused: I have to admit that I'm really glad that I didn't buy a box because I would probably return it based on tonight's experiment. :(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You threw it out? LOL. I bet your puppers wouldn't have minded. ;) It takes some time to get to know how much water to add to get to the consistency you like but usually the dogs aren't quite so particular. We served it so its a stuffing like consistency. The longer you let it set the firmer it gets. But I've accidentally added too much water so it was served more soupy & it still got gobbled down. :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It does look gross prepared, and the smell I find sickening too just because its similar to human food, but not. It got mixed reactions in our house, one cat liked it, one didnt, one chi liked it (Miley) one did not (Reese). Seems silly not to have let them try it though to see what your crew thought! I use a little less water than suggested, so its sort of like oatmeal consistency.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I bet your pups wouldn't have minded at all, mine think it's the best thing they've ever had.

I too serve mine at a "stuffing like" consistency, but I have served it like soup/watered down.

I'll admit i'm the biggest skeptic there was about feeding watery/soft food but you wont regret it, I would've thought I traded in my two Chi's for a couple of rabbits as little as they poop now.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Also, did you add warm water? I used cold water the first time by accident & it didn't thicken up like I thought it would. Maybe that had something to do with it? But I usually did a 1:1 THK/water ratio & it was ok consistency.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
when i serve dexter his keen i use warm water but when my mom does it she boils it completely so it turns into soup...LOL~ im not sure which one he likes as if it's too "stuffing" lookin he just takes it and thrwos it down 1 by 1 on the floor and just eats the chicken but when its too soup based he waits for a while and eats it...or sometimes he just wont eat it at all!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw you should have let them try it. They may have loved it. I use fairly equal parts water and THK mix, a little bit more water though. I feed 1/8 cup at each serving. I let it hydrate for 10 minutes which makes it oatmeal like. I use Force, Embark, and Zeal. I should say that the first time I made it neither Pip or Roo would touch it, but now they go completely nuts for it and gobble it down. :)

when i serve dexter his keen i use warm water but when my mom does it she boils it completely so it turns into soup...LOL~ im not sure which one he likes as if it's too "stuffing" lookin he just takes it and thrwos it down 1 by 1 on the floor and just eats the chicken but when its too soup based he waits for a while and eats it...or sometimes he just wont eat it at all!
I would not let your Mom use boiling water as it will effect the vitamin content, you don't want to "cook" it. It's best to use warm water, as you mentioned you do. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
if you like the concept, you could try Sojos complete. It looks like real food when you mix it up and is recognizable as to what it is . You do the same add water type thing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did let them try the second batch I made (I put that in my first post). They liked it okay I guess. They are all enthusiastic about anything food related. I didn't want them to eat the first batch because it just didn't look right. I didn't think it would be greenish colored water. I did use warm water when I made it. I guess I did expect it to look more like stuffing or oatmeal in consistency.

I feel it's just not palatable enough to me to make me want to fix it every day. Plus I would have to feed so much more of it than their regular food that it puts it really far out of my price range. Oh well, I guess I could use it as a treat on occasion.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I feed my two 1/8C. twice a day so 1/2 total, it's not that much compared to their kibble in my case which I was feeding 1C. between the two of them daily.

Just my experience, mine really enjoy it so as yucky as I think it looks I'm for it haha.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I didn't look at the feeding guidelines til I got home with the samples. According to the package I'll be feeding the border collies 3 cups a day so that's 9 cups a day and maybe a 1/2 cup for Lilo. I normally only feed the border collies 6 cups a day and Lilo 1/2. It just seems like I would be feeding them a heck of a lot and then they are pooping less?

I'm sure mine would enjoy it... they will eat anything that doesn't eat them first (Lilo too!)!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yep mine are the same way, if it's on the floor it's fair game.

And yes, I can attest that the poop is significantly less. The whole reason I switched to THK is because Godric is downright intolerant to kibble. He's had the runs ever since I got him on every kibble we tried and now it's little and hard no problems and it's been less than a week.

From what I understand it's just that their little bodies can process so much of it that less comes out, and his pee is clear which I know from a human perspective if it's clear you're generally well hydrated so that's good.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use 1:1 water. We also serve it more like a stuffing unless my husband makes it :D then it's anyone's guess what it will look like :coolwink: by the fuzz stills eats it.

I like THK and more importantly, the girls do. One huge benefit (to me at least) is that they don't have "that smell" that kibble fed doggies have. I can't describe it but as soon as hubby feeds any kind of kibble/canned dog food, I can tell right away by the way the girls smell. I know, I'm strange.

If you have more samples, give it a go one more time with less water.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I did let them try the second batch I made (I put that in my first post).
Oh, good! (I dont see that anywhere in your first post) It can be kind of an acquired taste, or texture rather so maybe theyll like it better after a few more samples :) Like others said, I think the THK prep directions call for a little more water than necessary, I adjusted to a 1:1 ratio too. I started a thread on addins for THK, and got a lot of great suggestions. I know you dont need to add anything, but it does sort of seem like a soup that only has broth without something added in. I needed something soft for my cats to eat, so I got a 4lb box, but like you Im glad I only got samples for the dogs, Id rather do it as an occasional change up in their norm rather than a daily food. Reese wasnt very impressed with it anyway, although likely he would have come around if Id been persistent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts