Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I can almost confidently say that our tummy troubles are a memory. I just really have one that cannot tolerate processed foods and she was showing side effects of medication.

So. That brings up the issue I am dreading most. Spay time. I hate thinking that I just got her stable and it is time to spay and potentially upset things again. However, she is 6 months old tomorrow.

Both girls will be spayed together (my nerves, their recovery and time off work all at once). Ruby will be 6 months mid April. The girls are both close to 3 pounds so I am okay given that they are not wees. A 1.5-2.0 pounder would worry me even more!

If you were me, would you plan spay end of April, beginning of May, hold off given her issues a couple more months?

I understand the benefits of spay before first heat so am inclined to get this scheduled but those who helped me through the tummy issues can understand my trepidation.

I am pleased that the Vet uses gas on the little patients and not injection anesthesia. Once they stop breathing the gas, they start waking up. I will not be able to offer her soft dog food or the like. She will either get some ZP ground up into a mushy broth or her classic chicken, pedialyte, pumpkin concoction.

I'd love your thoughts. Just thinking about it makes me want anesthesia!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
I know how scary it is. Neither Tango for his neuter, nor Jazz for her spay, had hit 3 pounds at that point, and it was pretty nerve wracking, even without the tummy issues that yours have.

But honestly, I don't think there's any point in waiting. They're stable right now, and waiting isn't going to get them any more so. If it were me, I'd just get it done and have it over with. Jazz was very, very sick when I rescued her, and it took quite some time for her to recover after we were confident she was going to make it. And spays are more invasive that neuters so I was extra nervous getting her done because she'd been so sick and was still so small, though had become very healthy under the care of my vet and my own TLC. She did GREAT! So did Tango.

You know if it's the right time or not. Underneath your nervousness and anxiety is the knowledge that they're either healthy enough, or they're not. And if they are, don't wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
I also say get it done as soon as you like. And you don't have to offer soft food after a spay, mine eat their kibble the day they came back from the vets. (My vet keeps them over night.) So just feed them their ZP and it should be just fine.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top