Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this little white chi and I want him so bad! He's from the number one chi kennel in Australia (for about 4 years running) and they almost never have puppies For sale but they have a little white smooth coat available. I did not plan on getting another chi, its not for the sake of getting another dog, it's because I don't want to go past the opportunity of getting such a quality puppy (he is on limited reg and a neuter contract though, no showing).

I find 2 so easy to manage and I'm worried a 3rd will make life difficult, hubby is not keen for this reason but he said get him if I want him (he has a race car so he really can't say anything). Those of you with a trio, how do you manage it? Is it difficult to walk 3 at a time? Have you had issues with being out and about and not having enough hands to control 3 dogs? I have such a good little pair and I don't want to make our lives more difficult but I would love to get this perfect little guy, just don't know what to do:(

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
I have 3 ,2 chis- 1 Sheltie i never take mine out together 2 is easy but with 3 is hard so i either do 2 walks or hubby comes with me.Also a lot of hotels ,holiday places here in uk only take 2 so that can be hard finding one for 3.

· Registered
130 Posts
I have 3, there is a big difference between 2 and 3, if I am out alone with them I have 2 on a double lead in 1 hand and the other in the other hand, so it is manageable. 2 are definitely easier, but I wouldn't change them for the world! I sometimes wonder if 4 would be better as 1 is always left out when they are playing!

· Registered
4,175 Posts
We seem to do well with 3.

I do not take them on walks alone but I do take them other places. Yesterday they went for a nail trim and weigh in and I took them by myself. I carry them in a snuggle sack. Or the little one gets carried in a sling and the other two in the sack or walked. Or hubby walks two and I have one or I walk two and he has one (not as often).

Mine all play well together. They sort of rotate who does what with who. My little one is wild and crazy so she and Ruby wrestle more because Ruby is more physical. She will choose to snuggle more with Hope. You have seen videos of them running and chasing.

They get annoyed with each other just as any group would do even if they were human 3 year olds. Sometimes someone insists on a toy that one has, etc.

I do not find 3 harder than 2 but we do not walk as often as most here. We do take them to a lot of car shows and car events. They walk some, get carried some but I, by myself, do not venture out a ton with all 3.

· Premium Member
6,745 Posts
I didnt find 3 any harder than 2...... but i found 5 much harder than 3 initially, although i dont walk all 5 together on my own...(the pups mainly have individual walks still as part of their daily training) the older 3 i take out together on my own and they walk great together

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Hmm 'tis a hard one ... my 3 all adore each other & no-one is every left out of play and they all protect each other (and me) from friend's larger unruly pups. I have a triple coupler that I intend to walk them on as a trio so I always have one hand free - for defence purposes - yes, call me paranoid but I can't help it. with the couple I can snatch all 3 up at once & hurl them into their pram & then deal with the marauder :)

I took all 3 to a massive dog beach with 100's of other dogs everywhere and although I was petrified to start with, due to their very limited training, they had relatively good recall & when I ventured down to the water I had all 3 on separate leads which was fine.

I say go for it, you won't regret it. The only thing that worries me with 2, 3 or more that are only weeks/months apart in age is that they'll all probably get old/sick & start to depart around the same time, so instead of one heartbreak it'll be 3.

· Registered
1,144 Posts
I have 3 - 2 Chis and Pedro is half Chi, half Cairn terrier. When I had to take them outside on a leash, it wasn't easy. It would be 5 a.m. and I would wind up rapped up in leashes, trying to untangle myself. (I used those retractable ones for potty breaks.) Walking them was more difficult with a new pup in the mix who had his own idea of which direction we were going in. The two older ones were always great about knowing how to keep from getting tangled up, but it was just those two for a couple of years before Diesel came along.

Now we have a fenced in yard, so they can run free, and they get enough excercise that I don't worry about walking them so much anymore. I do have to watch for birds of prey with Diesel. He's just 2 lbs and 12 oz, so he looks pretty tasty to some of the hawks around here.

I don't travel in the car with all three. I only take one at a time, and they take turns on who gets to go. Pedro is my best boy in the car - he uses it for an extra nap. Gracie and Diesel are both a bit more needy, and are constantly whining to get in my lap.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons 3 would be more trouble than 2, really. Mine are all best of friends. Pedro is very protective over Gracie and Diesel, but he leaves most of the rougher play to them. He joins in now and then, but he's never been much for rough housing, and those two get pretty crazy.

I would do it. It's an opportunity I'd have a hard time passing up. It will be an adjustment but in no time you'll feel like it's always been this way!

· Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm gonna be honest; I have 9 at my house now. The only difference I noticed- believe it or not, was between 8 and 9. 8 was simple. Truly. But 8 became crazy! I just had a dog returned to me... Cruizer, a min-pin Chihuahua mix (or maybe shiba inu??) who was bullying their older Great Dane. So sad. But he's hyper here; he and Tequila have been romping in the yard for over an HOUR sometimes. Seriously. Crazy energy everywhere between them.

· Registered
10,029 Posts
to me it sounds like your not going to be satisfied unless you get that puppy or one like it. so , i think you should get that white puppy :) .
thats how i was until i got Latte. now my family is complete, and i dont look anymore.
i dont regret for a second getting my 3rd dog ( Peyton, my yorkie ) and dont regret getting my 4th ( Latte ).
my girls have a big back yard to run around in so i dont take them for walks much.
i've only had Latte for 3 months now and have not taken all 4 out together. but before i got Latte, i would take my 3 dogs out together. i can manage the 3 on leashes with no problem ( the leashes do get twisted sometimes, but i can manage it).

· Registered
725 Posts
I have 3 dogs they are not all Chis but they are all small TC is a Pappilion he's 4 lbs, he is 9years old, Penelope is a Shih-tzu X Min Pin she weighs 6 lbs she will be a year old at the end of June. Then I have Charlie Chi he is the baby he's 12 weeks old he weighs about 1 1/2 lbs I got Charlie basicly so Penelope would have someone to play with TC is getting older and he still likes to play fetch everyday he's not big on having an annoying puppy around so getting Charlie has been wonderful TC finally gets the peace and quiet he needs and Penelope has an energenic little pup to play with life is wonderful having 3 was defiantly the best thing I ever did .I can finally take down the baby gates because now Penelope plays with the pup instead of driving TC crazy. I don't have to separate them anymore.

· Registered
1,018 Posts
I have 3 dogs, 2 chis and 1 shar-pei. I just got sophia, my second chi two months ago. I don't deem it any more difficult to have a 3rd. Just as long as you. Have time to train it. For me its all about routine. I have all my girls on the same schedule. They eat together, exercise together, all get bathed the same day (unless one gets extra dirty for some reason of course and needs a bathe) and this has worked well for us. I do plan to get a 4th in the future.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I knew i shouldn't come to CP asking to be talked out of getting another Chi!

I only have a small courtyard so I like to walk my dogs as often as possible, it's good for me and they love it. The 2 I have now are pretty good coz they've had so much practice. Axle sometimes ignores me when he's off leash in the dog park because he sees a bird to chase but apart from that they are well behaved.

I'm also a little worried about Chloe being left out. Axle loves every dog he meets (he played with a great big husky at the park yesterday, so funny to see) and Chloe only likes Axle. I'm worried the two boys would be rough housing all the time and little Chloe would be left out. She does get pretty wild and crazy wrestling with Ax but in general she's more of a snuggler than a real playful dog.

I will call the breeder today to get some further info, he may not even still be available and she may not ship (he's in Brisbane, about 20 hrs away from me) or he may be ridiculously expensive coz he's from such a great kennel (but I paid $1,200 for Chloe so he couldn't be that much more). I will report back.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sarah, you know...I really like you, so I'm going to do this for you. You go ahead and get another chihuahua....I will come pick Axle up and bring him home with me and Miya. I know, everybody's happy!!
Thank's Tiffany, you're so helpful! I wonder if Ax would even notice the difference between Chloe an Miya? I definitely think Miya would love a bro but unfortunately Ax is very attached to his mama and although he would love to visit you I think he knows his place in life is right on my lap!

· Registered
5,191 Posts
Wait a minute! She was worried about Chloe feeling left out with the boys playing together, so I think I'll just take little Miss Chloe off your hands, Sarah! Lulu's a snuggler too, so they can just both snuggle on my lap. LOL Then the boys can romp and play, and it will solve your 2 or 3 dilemma.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.