Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is beautiful here... 57 degrees sunny, some wind. I thought it would be a good day to go for a little stroll with the Chachi dog. This would be walk number two for him. He did okay on his first but had to be coaxed. I put his sweater on him and his little harness, and thought he would enjoy it. Nope, wrong...I had to practically drag him the whole way...he kept looking back towards the house. I thought dogs were supposed to like this.. I guess all conditions weren't optimal for the Chachi man.:(

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Don't give up, keep trying, little by little. Use plenty of praise and scrumptious treats if needed. Soon enough he will love walking so much you'll have to drag him home,lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't give up, keep trying, little by little. Use plenty of praise and scrumptious treats if needed. Soon enough he will love walking so much you'll have to drag him home,lol.
LOL Thanks LS. I will keep trying. I just thought since it was so pretty he would enjoy it. We will probably start camping, starting in March, so he better be used to it by then...cause he is gonna be a camping dog, and my walking buddy...hopefully, if he cooperates.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Poppy was like that too when we started walking her. She sometimes is the same if the weather is bad! She mostly loves it when we get to the fields and let her off the lead so she can have a run about :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Don't worry, he will start to walk soon on the leash just be patient and try to make it enjoyable, try using treats or his favourite toy to get him going rather than dragging him along because he may become fearful of walking
Although, I must also add that my 3 are SO lazy
As soon as they realize we are going out for a walk when I put their harnesses on without an exception this is what happens,
Prada runs and jumps in her carrier bag, or if it isn't on the floor any other bag that is within jumping distance
Gucci hops inside his dog bed
and Chanel just runs around and I have to catch her
But once we actually make it out the door, they are fine walking
LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry, he will start to walk soon on the leash just be patient and try to make it enjoyable, try using treats or his favourite toy to get him going rather than dragging him along because he may become fearful of walking
Although, I must also add that my 3 are SO lazy
As soon as they realize we are going out for a walk when I put their harnesses on without an exception this is what happens,
Prada runs and jumps in her carrier bag, or if it isn't on the floor any other bag that is within jumping distance
Gucci hops inside his dog bed
and Chanel just runs around and I have to catch her
But once we actually make it out the door, they are fine walking
LOL
This is SO funny! I think Chachi would feel right at home with your crew.
I fear Chachi is a lazy, slug dog. LOL

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Leash walking is not natural to dogs and takes time and energy for most dogs. Look up some you tube videos by Emily Larlham. She is awesome and uses clicker training and positive reinforcement methods. Her first dog Kiko is a cute chi mix and is featured in many of her videos. Dragging little Chachi along is only going to make things worse I'm afraid

·
Registered
86 Posts
hahah.. that reminds me of Susu when he was a pup. I would carry him away from the house and then I could put him down and he would very happily trot back home!! LOL It was months before he would walk away from home for some odd reason. But he would always walk wonderfully on the way home.. Quirkly little chis! lmao

·
Registered
50 Posts
That reminds me of the Dog Whisperer I watched yesterday. It was a Shih Tzu who wouldn't walk on a leash. He carried her out then let her walk home so her first walk she was just going home.

I haven't tried walking mine yet although the weather is gorgeous. I'm waiting for the harness to come in. I ordered it Friday so hopefully soon. We have a new dog park I want to try out too. My boxer is on restricted activity so I can't walk or dog park her although she would love it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That reminds me of the Dog Whisperer I watched yesterday. It was a Shih Tzu who wouldn't walk on a leash. He carried her out then let her walk home so her first walk she was just going home.

I haven't tried walking mine yet although the weather is gorgeous. I'm waiting for the harness to come in. I ordered it Friday so hopefully soon. We have a new dog park I want to try out too. My boxer is on restricted activity so I can't walk or dog park her although she would love it.
Yes, he likes going home better, than going away from home. I don't think he is afraid of the leash. I have gotten him used to it slowly. He just doesn't want to walk. LOL

I wish we had a dog park here, but we don't.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Diesel is that way, unless I take him along with Gracie and Pedro - they both love their walks. Diesel always seems to have a different agenda...He doesn't do well on leash for long outings. He's always pulling and trying to walk away from everyone else - it's hard for me to walk all three of them at once since they all seem to have different expectations from the walk - at times I wind up completely tied up by leashes. Diesel leans against the leash, like he's trying to escape. Not sure he's ever going to change, and he doesn't seem to be overly excited about being outside, while my other two love it as long as it isn't cold or snowy. They are all so different in personality!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chachi doesn't really pull on the leash when we are walking...he just stops walking and stands there, and looks at me. LOL. Then I will give him a tug and he will walk for a little bit and stop....like, "arent we done already". And no, he doesn't particularly like being outside either. He will have to get over that though...because we are campers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts