Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I fed the chi's large chunks of that bird that is smaller than a chicken (too lazy to get up and go to the fridge to see the package.)

Anyway, little Pepe could hardly breath and was barely crying for help. He got a big piece of meat stuck in his throat. I was thinking the worst thinking it was a bone. He finally passed it and then went after another HUGE hunk of meat. I can't believe he took it all in one huge hunk. How he managed to swallow it I don't know.

After this experience should I cut his meat up in little pieces?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, there is a learning curve with raw. Some dogs are gulpers. For them, they either need their food cut into tiny pieces or feed huge pieces (bigger than their head) so that they have to gnaw on the food and not just bolt it down. Using this technique, you do have to take it away after they have had a coupe of ounces which can make some dogs even more greedy and gulp more. If you are using cornish hens (small chickens), you can cut the bones up with scissors, or just bash it with a hammer until it is floppy.

Some people hold the meat/bone for them and let them chew it on their lap, but for some dogs, that makes them eat it even faster as they think you are going to take it away.

You can also get a grinder and grind their meats/bones/organs for them. I know that Mel (Mel's chis on here) does this with hers and it works well.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I don't reccomend holding the meat my finger almost got taken off by prada it was so bad it took like 4-6 months to heal the nail JUST started growing back even lol i forget the exact time line but it was a crazy bite

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
The same thing happened to my younger chi, Penny! She gulped a chunk of beef and ran around in circles for a bit, I lifted up her back legs and patted her on the back and it dislodged. It was sooo scary, her gums had turn sort of grey and I thought she was going into shock. Lesson learned, I now cut up her meat into small chunks or I hold onto bone-in meals that she eats. I know some people prefer to feed large, but this is just what works for me.

I am so glad Pepe is okay!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LOL Sherri--I remember that!! I have also been bitten though not quite so badly! So yeah...you have to be very careful when hand feeding!! Poor Marley didn't know what happened when he got me--he's like "oh sawwy I saught dat was da chicken". hahahaha I have had to teach a few of my pups how to chew properly & some just haven't learned & we've run into this same situation a few times too many. So a couple of my dogs have to be hand fed the larger pieces for dental purposes (we do grinds or premades most of the time).

I'm sorry this happened--it's definitely one of the hardest & most frustrating part of learning about your dogs & raw. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts