Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted photos of my babies lately. I wanted to let everyone know that on Tuesday this week our household made the switch to raw feeding. It's been interesting so far. We haven't had any problems and they seem to be enjoying it. Here's some photos of them eating.

And a video

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Great pics!
It looks like they are enjoying it. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
LOL! Babs is so delicate with her meal and Lovee is just NOMNOMNOM! So cute. :D

To the poster who asked "Is it better": Yes. Dogs were made by God to eat meat (and they CAN have fruit/veg, they just don't NEED to - - no dairy though, bad for them). Kibble and canned food are cooked meat, how many wild dogs/coyotes/foxes do you know who cook thier meals first? ;) Commercial pet foods have only been around less than 100 years, and are often the causes of many of the diseases our pets face today (diabetes, obesity, tooth decay, and I'm fairly convinced that they can cause higher rates of cancer). There is a growing movement of carnivore owners who are realizing that their pets will benefit from a natural diet and less processed meals.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In just the few short days, I of course have not noticed much difference in coat, poop etc. However, they like eating time. Babs will actually do spinnies as she's waiting. The only other thing she does spinnies for is when we come home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I feed my dogs raw as well. Little Seti took to it quicker than my danes did. The only thing I've found so far that he won't eat is liver. He picks it out and places it on the floor, then continues eating. His favorites are big fat chicken wings. If you haven't noticed a difference in the poop, you will soon. Before, I couldn't believe such a small dog could make such a big poop. Now, it's just the size of a pair of dice and it's gone in a couple of days.

We'll never go back!

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're so lucky. My Chi is soooo finicky with his raw...i have to rip it up into little bite sized pieces...and DEPENDING on the texture, and meat, the mix..he MIGHT eat it. AUGHHHHHHH.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've been so tempted to do this. I even gave Boo part of a cornish gamehen (bones and all), and he devoured it. Just two days ago, I was cooking a brisket and I cut little strips from it before cooking and gave it to the girls. They snapped it up like it was candy.

But during my vet visit, I asked the doc about raw feeding and he was adamant that I not do it.

I don't know...maybe I'll use it as a supplement. I just don't have the courage to switch over completely...yet.

Great vid btw, and great pictures too. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raw is actually better for their teeth. The crunching of the bones cleans their teeth better than we can with all our little tools. The girl I work with, said her sheps breath doesn't smell at all now. They've been feeding her raw for about a year now. It also strengthens the teeth and jaws. Kind of like weight bearing exercise keeps us from loosing calcium.

Don't let your vet scare you from raw. Some of the top breeders of working, show and competition dogs feed raw. People have experienced lack of allergies, fresh breath, no doggy odor, shinier/softer coats, less pain with arthritis, smaller/firmer poop that turns white and disappears on its own and just making their dog happy/excited. I'm not saying it's the case in your vet, but alot of vets sell dog food, therefore they do not want to encourage raw. Also, the vets are trained in diet/nutrition. They're informed by the dog food makers/sellers of "what's good" for your dog. Do some online research, you'll find some very interesting information on raw feeding your pets from people who just love their animals.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Awesome..they look like they are really enjoying it!

PS Lovee has grown up so much! Very pretty girls you have

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I have a really crazy question -- I've always wondered about HOW you feed raw. We all know that raw meat is very dangerous to humans, and we even have to use anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners on our counters after cutting raw pork and chicken. Not to mention that raw meat is bloody. So WHERE do you feed your dogs raw meat? I know that Holly doesn't sit in one place and hold her head over a plate or bowl when eating her kibble, so I just envision her dragging a bloody, raw piece of meat across my floor! Do you put them in cages to eat or how does that work?

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the teeth thing. It's very interesting.
I never thought about giving Chico raw food tell now.

I have a really crazy question -- I've always wondered about HOW you feed raw. We all know that raw meat is very dangerous to humans, and we even have to use anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners on our counters after cutting raw pork and chicken. Not to mention that raw meat is bloody. So WHERE do you feed your dogs raw meat? I know that Holly doesn't sit in one place and hold her head over a plate or bowl when eating her kibble, so I just envision her dragging a bloody, raw piece of meat across my floor! Do you put them in cages to eat or how does that work?
Chico also does that when eating.
Excellent question that I also want to know.

And in traveling to holiday what do you do?

·
Registered
923 Posts
We put them in their crates with washable towels, or "food blankets/beds". All washable. Eating outside it an option as well. Raw meat really isn't THAT deadly to people... I have been feeding raw for over a year now and we never use antibacterial this or that, just regular soap and hot water. Nobody has gotten sick or died. ;) I am pretty convinced that raw meat actually isn't that deadly, just that scare factor people use has made it this bigbadthing. Otherwise, I'd be dead by now. I've even gotten raw blood in my mouth by accident whilst cutting organ meat... still not dead!

On holidays, we take a tiny cooler with ice, and keep their meals in that. It's pretty easy. ;)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lovee is a nine pound Chi. She stands quite a bit taller than Babs. I'm actually hoping that when her coat comes in, her legs will look shorter. She kind of looks off balance.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since it's nice out, I feed mine outside but I still use their indoor dishes. It's kind of like a doggy picnic. Babs especially loves to run off with her food. I don't know exactly what I will do when it gets to cold to feed them outside. But truly, we are only supposed to feed them a small amount (1.5 - 3% of body weight) so they should be finishing everything you feed them. So, they shouldn't be "hiding" any.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was wondering how many times a day do you feed them and how much per dog??? I am going to do some research today when I have time but I am going to change over too. Are there any raw meat you shouldn't feed them? I'm guess as long as it's fresh and raw it's ok? I live in the country and the grocery store sells all kinds of strange animal parts (pigs feet & ears, tripe, turkey & chicken feet, ox tails, etc). Thanks, Theresa

1 - 20 of 27 Posts