Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Gidget to the vet yesterday, and she was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori. She is in good spirits--no lethargy, seemingly no pain, but she will eat and several hours later (as much as 3-5 hours later) she will throw up. Not right after she eats, it is hours later. She has always had a sensitive stomach and has tended to throw up on a fairly regular basis no matter what she is fed. I would say she can't go a full month without throwing up at some point, but in the last few days it got to be once a day or so, and dark brown. I knew that meant blood in it. She was not dehydrated at all. She is on Amoxicillin, metronidazole, and Reglan. She is still eating her dehydrated Primal. I took the bag in for him to see what she is eating. He said if she were eating "crappy food" (his words) he would suggest looking into a food change and how her food could have played a part in this, but with her diet he didn't see a need for this.

We have completely stopped her green bean treats. He's not a fan of legumes and says that although we think of green beans as a vegetable, they are actually a legume, and some animals have issues with legumes. If that's the case, better safe than sorry. We will stick to meat treats.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience, I would love to hear them. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi Tina, sorry to hear Gidget is under the weather, I am a Nurse and I often treat patients for HP, they all usually do well on triple therapy. It sounds like your Vet has it covered and you should start to see some improvement pretty soon. Sending healing thoughts to Gidget. xx

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'm sending good thoughts to little Gidget! Poor thing, stomach issues are the worst.

I have never been a fan of the green bean thing, for the legume reason and because they are so hard for a lot of dogs to digest- but I guess they work for weight loss for some dogs so I try to keep my mouth shut about it. You are always better off with less treats but a single meat (like boiled chicken or the S&C carnivore crunch) in my opinion with stomach issues.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh poor little thing,i hope she gets better.Have you tried splitting the meals up so she has a little at a time to give her stomach time to digest before her next feed ?

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
HI tina! Sorry to hear Gidget isn't feeling well! I see patients with H. Pylori all the time here and it goes away with antibiotics and usually a ppi (proton pump inhibitor) but this may different for dogs. Humans gets clarithromycin, amoxicillin and protonix or omeprazole. I am praying for a speedy recovery and I don't want you to worry too much, she will be fine after once she gets all her meds!

Thinking of u both! Hugs!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tina, sorry to hear Gidget is under the weather, I am a Nurse and I often treat patients for HP, they all usually do well on triple therapy. It sounds like your Vet has it covered and you should start to see some improvement pretty soon. Sending healing thoughts to Gidget. xx
Thank you, Lisa! I always feel so good about my vet, but it makes me feel even better to hear this from someone in the field.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sending good thoughts to little Gidget! Poor thing, stomach issues are the worst.

I have never been a fan of the green bean thing, for the legume reason and because they are so hard for a lot of dogs to digest- but I guess they work for weight loss for some dogs so I try to keep my mouth shut about it. You are always better off with less treats but a single meat (like boiled chicken or the S&C carnivore crunch) in my opinion with stomach issues.
Thanks, Annie. I never saw green beans that way until he pointed that out to me. I am always concerned with Lulu's weight as she can verge toward 6 lbs very easily. I always thought green beans were a harmless way to fill her up. No more green beans!! For Gidget for sure, but not for Lulu either. I have decided meat treats only and our Primal.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So sorry to hear this Tina. Will Gidget always have this illness or can she get better? I really hope she starts feeling herself again soon. Xoxo Meoshia

Thank you, Meoshia. I hope she will be completely healed. From what I have read on the internet it can be rather hard to get over but it is not known whether it is because it renews after dormancy or because the animal re-infects from an outside source. But that may also be one particular strain of helicobacter.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI tina! Sorry to hear Gidget isn't feeling well! I see patients with H. Pylori all the time here and it goes away with antibiotics and usually a ppi (proton pump inhibitor) but this may different for dogs. Humans gets clarithromycin, amoxicillin and protonix or omeprazole. I am praying for a speedy recovery and I don't want you to worry too much, she will be fine after once she gets all her meds!

Thinking of u both! Hugs!!

Thank you, doll! I appreciate those words of wisdom! It helps my feelings. When they are throwing up, at this point after every meal, you worry until it stops. The funny thing is you think it has stopped because the vomiting doesn't happen for hours after she eats. Looking forward to several days from now, and our little Gidget-girl being on the mend. :)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh poor little thing,i hope she gets better.Have you tried splitting the meals up so she has a little at a time to give her stomach time to digest before her next feed ?
Tina, I'm so sorry to hear that Gidget is having gastro issues. It sure sounds like you are on top of it all, we send healing thoughts and prayers to sweet Gidget. Give her extra hugs and kisses from us girls!
Thanks so much, Michele and Debby, for your kind words and thoughts. It means a lot!! Yes, we have tried several small meals--it didn't help. From what the vet explained it is the gastric juices backing up into her duodenum and even her stomach among other issues. Right now she gets 2 regular meals a day and at least 1 to 2 snack meals.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I am sorry about this, and glad to know that she isn't in any pain. Hopefully her little body responds quickly to the meds and that she can start making progress within in the coming months and be on her way to a full recovery. I'm kinda curious to know if the green beans play a role in this, or if there will be a noticeable difference in her condition now that you've eliminated green beans from her diet. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated 😘

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We only stopped the green beans Sunday. The doctor believes they certainly don't help, but probably aren't the cause. He is just not a fan of green beans, especially every day.

Debby, I know you had seen what I fed the girls and thought about starting to add green beans...DONT! At least not everyday, long term. Just not a good idea. I agree with Annie.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
We only stopped the green beans Sunday. The doctor believes they certainly don't help, but probably aren't the cause. He is just not a fan of green beans, especially every day.

Debby, I know you had seen what I fed the girls and thought about starting to add green beans...DONT! At least not everyday, long term. Just not a good idea. I agree with Annie.
We are always learning more aren't we Tina. Thanks for the heads up...I had given them a few but Lily was the only one that would eat them. Of course she is the one that eats every blade of grass, seeds and garbage that she can grab.
I'm hoping this issue is resolved easily for Gidget!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh no Tina! Poor Lulu. Have you ever tried ACV for the stomach issues? Are you giving a probiotic since she's on antibiotics? Please let me know how she's doing. Hope she gets better soon.
Oh, thanks, Lisa. It's actually Gidget that's ill. No I haven't tried anything else. I know it's terrible, but I guess since it's so sporadic and nothing about her ever changes except the occasional throw up that doesn't seem to slow her down, I never thought about giving her anything to combat it before. I may give her some yogurt, but I'm afraid to do anything stronger like a probiotic since I'm already dealing with a very ill gut, but thank you so very much for helping me think of everything. It's so hard to think of all possibilities when you are worried about your little one. I'm really thankful for all of you who offer help. :D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yogurt may help down the road as the antibiotics will kill off GOOD stuff in the intestines. Is this treatment as long as it is in humans? I can recall three weeks of meds.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yogurt may help down the road as the antibiotics will kill off GOOD stuff in the intestines. Is this treatment as long as it is in humans? I can recall three weeks of meds.
Yes, She's is to be on antibiotic for 3 weeks, metronidazole for 2 weeks for sure maybe 3, and Reglan for sure 2 weeks maybe 3. He wants to hear back from me in 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts