Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive only been signed up for this site for like 2 days and i seems to be obsessed with asking you guys questions already.....i hope you dont get sick of me!! lol.....anyways took my puppy to get her second deworming and my breeder told me she uses drontal and she finds it works great...so when i went there i told the vet thats what was suggested for me to use by the breeder...and instead the vet came out with revolution......my puppy is just over 12 weeks old and im wondering what everyones thoughts are on this particular product!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Is it for worms or heart worm preventative?

As a heartworm preventative because I live in the south with mosquito-breeding heaven, I use Iverheart Plus once a month starting at 4 months all year long.

It's relatively inexpensive, about $40 a year, I haven't had any negative side effects with my pups. But all dogs are different.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the breeder told me to use drontal cause it did a really good job of flushing her of worms and she was dewormed at 8 weeks so it was time for her to have a second dose.........but everything i have heard about revlolution after i started researching is that its mainly for fleas and heartworms...and it doesnt even properly protect from them.....and the entire point was to deworm her....so im kind of concerned.....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Drontal is a pretty powerful dewormer (takes care of all worms rounds, hooks, whips, tapes), I work for a Vet and we normally only deworm puppies with Pyrantel Pamoate (Strongid T) which takes care of rounds, hooks, whips. I would only use Drontal if your puppy has had fleas. For Heartworms & Preventing other worms we recommend Interceptor or Heartgard (or one of the generics). Revolution isn't as effective as the other medications IMO. I use Interceptor for Zoey and give every 45 days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I personally wouldnt use Drontal on my chi unless I knew forsure she had tapes and needed it. Its a strong de-wormer and why put those chemical in your pup if she doesnt need it??! I have acctually never seen a breeder used Drontal on such young pups before, or at least in my area at my clinic we dont reccomend it to our clients at that age unless we know its needed.....

I use Stongid T on my 5 year old chi, and may start her on Interceptor in our hotter months to prevent heartworm since we have postive heartworm dogs in Kamloops now..... Interceptor comes in a very small dose for suitable for chis and only costs about $32 a year :) I perfer Interceptor to Revolution to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts