Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of these sweet sisters? My husband likes one girl, I like the other!

If we decide to go see them we would have our choice of the 2 (and YES-you enablers-we would just take 1!).

Thoughts? Thank you!!

Tia

Trixie

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I don't really care for either,...are they from the same breeder? They are cute but I think their muzzles will be longer than you want, and they look like they are blues? There are so many problems with blues that I just hesitate to recommend them to anyone. No one WANTS their dog to lose all its fur, but it seems to be more and more common lately with the blues. Even blue show chihuahuas are allowed, per standard, to have a more "scanty" coat. Just puts me off, I guess :-/

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah they aren't going to be cute or typey like Hope will be as an adult...I know a lot of people have blues without problems, but I know a lot more that have problems w/ them. I will say it is truely worthwhile to wait for a breeder you are comfortable with to have a litter, especially when you are talking about a family pet :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I don't like either

Both are quite big they're going to have long muzzles and look undershot already see how you can see all their bottom lip in both photos? Bad mouths can cause a lot of problems

I also don't like the colour I too am not a fan of this blue/Liliac/purple/green lol breeding any blue I had would have to be bred properly (like any dog) because when itsdone badly you get bald dogs not nice

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Roo is a blue and has a lot of problems with alopecia. They are cute, but I agree on passing on them.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Aww poor ninja he's a bald blue but I think he's the cutest guy ever haha but I agree with the others I do actually love blues but yes alopecia is big I have 1 with and 1 without

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I mean, it's not like you would love the puppy any less. But, it's just good to be aware of issues and problems that can occur.

Where do you live/where are you looking for a chi pup?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are in the Kansas City area. We are willing to drive 3 hours each way.

We found an amazing breeder who has dogs who have won every show I have heard of and is taking one to Westminster in February. She is in our area code. I have noticed other folks with dogs from her charge (given the formal name of the dog). I inquired about 2, one a puppy and one a 1 year old. She emailed right back to say that the one year old was taken and she had not updated her site. She then suggested another dog (long coat, but we want short). She has not emailed back after I inquired again about the puppy. My guess is that she likely would not fancy our buying one of her championship puppies to have as a lap baby! haha! The pup she has is twice the price we paid for Hope.

Our breeder sent an email today and my husband (who is a sweet, mild mannered guy) is really unhappy. On Saturday we asked if the other puppies could be cleared from the room so that we could see Hope and her sister interact alone. We also told her not to be surprised if we called later that night or the next day and asked to come back to get her.

She indicated in the email that an hour after we left a young girl called, wanted to buy her and came right away to collect her. He does not believe that one has a puppy for 16 weeks with no interest and then someone calls an hour after we are there. I do. I also reminded him that it is a business. Second pup to one family is at a discount. It is unfortunate that they did not call and ask us to decide and come right then or the girl could have her, but they had no obligation or deposit to do so.

Again, I believe that everything happens for a reason so I am not upset today. We will find another girl. I am not worried. Just had the day off today and had time to look around and inquire.

Here is the picture of the dog we think the fancy breeder/show lady may not want us to ruin!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lady with the pretty black pup emailed back. Here is her answer:

HI KAREN, LET ME THINK ABOUT IT FOR A DAY OR SO. I KNOW SHE DOESNT CARE IF SHE IS SHOWN AND THAT SHE WILL GET A GREAT LIFE WITH YOU. I'LL LET YOU KNOW IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. SHE IS GORGEOUS ENOUGH TO BE SHOWN BUT I ALSO LOVE FINDING GREAT PET HOMES.

·
Registered
152 Posts
She's very pretty! To my inexperienced eye she looks much better than the other 2 you posted.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think you made a good decision by passing on those first two girls. They look like they are going to have long snouts as adults, and aren't typey.

We've been lucky with Tucker's coat. I very, very rarely see blues with nice coats, though.

The third girl (the black/white one) is very, very adorable. :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She will be a very nice adult. Keep in mind, many, many breeders sell off their black ones to pet homes because they don't show as well, their "expression" gets lost in the ring, sort of like it's hard to photograph a black dog's face? Can you PM me the breeder's site? I think I know who she is.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
She will be a very nice adult. Keep in mind, many, many breeders sell off their black ones to pet homes because they don't show as well, their "expression" gets lost in the ring, sort of like it's hard to photograph a black dog's face? Can you PM me the breeder's site? I think I know who she is.
Before getting our Border Collie, I was very interested in a little black/white LC chi male for the same reason. He had an all black face, and the breeder felt he would have complications finishing due to being black/white.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, ma'am.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts