Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see all these great pictures, messages and videos of Chihuahuas! :) As we don’t know any other people who also own a Chihuahua, it can be rather lonely out there…not anymore now we have found this great forum! We just want to post three youtube-videos of our Chihuahua Meeru who currently is 10 months old and a daily source of joy to us. We hope we are not overdoing it or/and breaking a forum rule by posting three videos instead of pictures (if so sorry and we will learn fast!). We hope you will enjoy these videos as we have certainly enjoyed everything we have seen sofar on this forum. The first youtube video is of Meeru doing some tricks, the second one is of our little fellow doing some basic agility in the garden (+/- 6 months) and the last one is a long video when he was still a sweet chubby little Chihuahua. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is so cute! My chihuahuas do agility too :)
Thank you! I don't think there are a lot of chihuahuas that do agility but i could be mistaken. I would love to see a vid or picture of your chihuahuas doing agility. How often do you practice? Have they ever participated in an agility competition? :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Thank you! I don't think there are a lot of chihuahuas that do agility but i could be mistaken. I would love to see a vid or picture of your chihuahuas doing agility. How often do you practice? Have they ever participated in an agility competition? :)

I don't have any videos or photos, but I will try to get some. We practice 1 day a week right now at a local agility club. Lion is in drop in classes and Penny is still in her beginner classes. I don't think Lion will ever compete.. He is nervous of strangers and new surroundings.. Penny is the star of her class though, so I think I will compete with her next year sometime when she is old enough. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm happy if Finn doesn't lift his leg in the wrong place! Meeru is amazing.
So funny. Please don't assume we don't have to deal with the lifting-his-leg-in-wrong-place-issue...:). In particular in places where lots of other dogs come (e.g. the pet shop...) we need to keep a very close eye on Meeru...if you have found a permanent solution for this issue, please let us know! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have any videos or photos, but I will try to get some. We practice 1 day a week right now at a local agility club. Lion is in drop in classes and Penny is still in her beginner classes. I don't think Lion will ever compete.. He is nervous of strangers and new surroundings.. Penny is the star of her class though, so I think I will compete with her next year sometime when she is old enough. :)
Would be great to see some videos or photos. Really good that despite Lion's nervousness of new surroundings you do agility with him. I am sure Lion will feel more at ease as time progresses (just like the Lion in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz :) ). I remember Meeru's first puppy class...he didn't feel like playing with any of the dogs. Now he get's all excited when it is time to see his buddies again. Keep me posted on Penny's progress. Would be great if she could actually compete! Amazing right? Meeru doesn't compete either as he is still too young.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Learning a new trick

♥ Marabou ♥;873839 said:
Do you have any tips for teaching puppy tricks? I would love to know how you taught Meeru! :)
Great question and great opportunity to write down a learning process I normally don’t consciously think about.

Quick comment upfront: English is not our native language (we live in The Netherlands) so apologies for all the spelling errors and incorrect sentences! :)

First of all, the basics needs to be right: socialization of the dog from the very start (exposing the dog to all sorts of experiences) and obviously the basic Cesar Milan stuff such as being the pack leader etc . :)

Obviously you can go to puppy classes where professional dog trainers can teach you far more and far better than I ever can. The puppy classes certainly guided me in the right direction. So I can only describe what works for me and Meeru. I hope it will be of some use to you and your dog.

I listed a number of random things you can do to learn your dog a new trick. This is by no means the right way or the only way. It just works for us.

• Start with the easy stuff. Basically anything that he does normally, spontaneously, naturally such as “lay” and “sit”.
• Let’s assume you want to teach him how to (“lay”). You can do two things:
• You can either wait until your dog performs spontaneously that behavior (“lay”)
• Or you can guide him with a very small piece of a treat to perform that position (“lay”). I need to emphasize small piece, it basically a mini-mini-reward that the dog can lick of your finger to perform that behaviour (“lay”). For example move the treat in your hand down to the floor and the dog will probably follow your hand to the ground and hopefully lay or partially lay.
• The moment the dog displays that desired behavior (“lay”) even if it is incomplete or only partially performed be as enthusiastic as you can be! Celebrate the moment! Meeru for example responds quite well on a very happy high-pitch voice.
• Give him that very small piece of treat accompanied with lots of praise, happiness and joy. :)
• Once the dog has made the first step towards the desired behavior, make it a little bit more challenging and reward primarily any new progress.
• I have a preference for hand movements in combination with a simple verbal command that reinforces that the movement. E.g. point to the ground if you want him to lay, but feel free to use your own hand movement. It needs to feel natural to you.
• Celebrate every single step towards the desired behavior no matter how small it is.
• Never ever get frustrated, impatience or disappointed. If you are not having fun the dog will not have fun. And fun and is the key ingredient.
• If the dog doesn’t make progress during the short training session mix it up with something the dog can do well. Basically create an opportunity for praise.
• Keep the training session short and positive.
• Ignore all unwanted behavior during the learning process. Focus on the positive and what does go well. Don’t punish or correct during the learning process.
• Always end on a positive note (playing, praising, fooling around). Never end with failure or disappointment.
• We only “train” a couple of times a week for a short period . “Train” is not really the right word, because it should be “just having fun with the dog”. It normally takes Meeru 10 to max 30 minutes to learn a new trick.
• And then repeat the trick regularly in various circumstances/surroundings on various days. Key thing: have fun with it!

Please feel free to suggest a new trick for Meeru and we will try to film the learning process for you. Meeru loves a challenge! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts