Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So remember how I had strep throat? Ya that didn't turn out to well. I ended up not reacting to the anti-biotics and getting an abscess : (

So went to the dr today and had to go for an ER to get it removed and OMG that was so so SO painful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

Bijoux has been such a dream while i've been laid up she just sits on my chest and cuddles me -instead of the other way around. She's been such an amazing good girl. It's been so nice having her while i've been bed bound.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Omg! You poor thing
Hope you have a speedy recovery and isn't it great when our dogs are always on our side?
Whenever I get ill, they always come sit by my side too and give me cuddles

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it wasn't fun but I am feeling much better. I can drink again. On a funny note I lost 10 lbs in 7 days lol I like the number i'm seeing too bad the moment I eat again It will go up ;p

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So sorry you went through that! Awful!

Did you know that dogs can be carriers of strep? They are asymptomatic, but can give it to us. Or they can contract it from us and carry it and then reinfect humans. There's been lots of research on it...

One abstract: Recurrent pharyngitis in family of four. Househ... [Postgrad Med. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

Since you went through such a rough time, I'd recommend having Bijoux and your other dogs swabbed for strep at the vet. If they don't have it, you can chalk it up to just one of those things. But if one of them is a carrier, you could become reinfected and go through this again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the tip I'll have her tested I live with my 70 year old grandmother so I really don't want her to catch it.

If she is a carrier how will they treat her anti-biotics?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, they will just eradicate the strep with antibiotics. Bijoux is probably NOT a carrier, and you could choose to wait. However, sometimes the family dog ends up being a carrier and recurrent strep keeps getting passed around until they discover the culprit! You might contact your vet and see what he suggests as far as the swab test.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
P.S. Be sure and change your toothbrush!! Strep can re-infect if you use the same toothbrush you did when you had the infection. Nasty bacteria. ;)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
a tonsillar abcess is really a medical emergency. Are they going to take your tonsils out later? I hope you are able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Good your pup is so sympathtic! Sue

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey everyone

I am feeling 90% I'm in no pain and besides being sleepy and a bit weak from not eating and barely drinking for a week I'm doing well. I'll even be returning to my job tomorrow I'm sick and tired of being bed bound ;p

Bijoux is still just as much of a dream as before and as i'm getting up and moving she is getting more and more spunky. it's funny it's like she's matching her energy levels to mine.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Oh no Kelsey!! Im so sorry you had to go through that! But, I'm so glad you are feeling much better. It is so nice that Bijoux has been your buddy and is sticking by you every step of the way! Makes recovery that much better, doesn't it?! Maybe you should definitely get her checked to see if she has strep, so then you'll know for sure! Don't want you to have to get surgery again! Ah!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts