Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about my retirement years if I live to see them, and if Lord willing I get to do so before I am 90. We have no children, well none together my husband has 2 but since we have only seen them maybe 5 times since they grew up and got their own lives I really don't see us being occupied with grandchildren. We are pretty much homebodies so I don't think we will be buying a Winnebago and traveling cross country. I thought I might be interested in breeding or maybe getting involved in some kind of rescue operation, gotta have something to spend that 401K on right? I honestly know nothing about either nor do I know anyone who does. I can Google the day away but I thought I could weed through some of the crap if any of you that do know whats what could point me in the direction of GOOD information. I am just 39 so nothing is happening any time soon but I thought it would be nice to have something to look forward to. Don't blast me I'm just wanting to read.:)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
There are some here who breed and also some very involved in rescue so I think you will get some good information, links and resources. Sounds like a fun way to spend retirement. Unlike my human kids, my chis do not back chat and they have never asked for money, they just love me and are happy to see and be with me! haha!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are looking for an income, forget breeding. I have been raising poodles for about 7 yrs and if I could go back, I would have never got into it. I live alone and am a groomer and was looking for something to add to my income. The way I raise my dogs (in house) and feed my dogs, I am way in the hole, not to mention that I am very particular about who adopts (purchases) one of my babies. Im tired of worrying about the life of my babies after they leave me. I am having most of my females spayed and only breed my friends females to my males. Hoping to be completely out of it within a couple more years. IF I can get my poodle debt down to a small roar.

Rescue would be wonderful if you just want something to do.

pam in TX

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no not looking for an income I am not one of the fortunate people who get to do what they love for a living, matter of fact about the only thing I love about my job is that it comes with a paycheck. I really don't want the one bright side to retirement being the fact that I don't have to go to work. My mom is kinda in that rut and while she is happy I just don't think I would be.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I started rescuing dogs afer I shattered my ankle and can no longer work as a nurse. It's very rewarding. I was so bored just sitting around and I could no longer do what I loved, doing photography for local rock bands. I am not a non-profit because looking at what I need to become one, it says you need three officers on the board and I don't know three people that would want to be involved. And I would have to come up with a financial plan and I don't do numbers. At all. I call my operation a sanctuary because most of the dogs will be with me for life. Most of mine have physical or emotional problems. The ones that I think can be re-homed and do well I find homes for. So far I have found homes for 4 dogs and possibly one more. It's great that you would be thinking of this this far in advance, I sorta fell into it and didn't really plan it well. It's working well now, but it was a little bumpy a couple of times. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure it it would be an option or considered, but I think getting involved in agility would be fun. It could be a golden years opportunity and if you got into casually prior to retirement at the point of retirement you could assist others in training theirs for agility. That would keep you around a variety of little ones that you could assist, always being something different. I am not shying you away from breeding, I just know it's something I couldn't do ~ as soon as something took a left with Mom or the pups I would be shattered ~ I know it's so dang stressful finding a good home for animals we have found that needed help, that we couldn't keep. I would think the stress of doing that for one you watch being conceived, helped birth and raised would be more than my ticker could handle. I think for the person who could handle it and handle it responsibly it would be so rewarding.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure it it would be an option or considered, but I think getting involved in agility would be fun. It could be a golden years opportunity and if you got into casually prior to retirement at the point of retirement you could assist others in training theirs for agility. That would keep you around a variety of little ones that you could assist, always being something different. I am not shying you away from breeding, I just know it's something I couldn't do ~ as soon as something took a left with Mom or the pups I would be shattered ~ I know it's so dang stressful finding a good home for animals we have found that needed help, that we couldn't keep. I would think the stress of doing that for one you watch being conceived, helped birth and raised would be more than my ticker could handle. I think for the person who could handle it and handle it responsibly it would be so rewarding.
Hadn't thought of agility I will have to add that to my Google list..lol. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the down sides of breeding but I think it has the potential to be one of those rewarding things that makes the risks worth while but I don't know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started rescuing dogs afer I shattered my ankle and can no longer work as a nurse. It's very rewarding. I was so bored just sitting around and I could no longer do what I loved, doing photography for local rock bands. I am not a non-profit because looking at what I need to become one, it says you need three officers on the board and I don't know three people that would want to be involved. And I would have to come up with a financial plan and I don't do numbers. At all. I call my operation a sanctuary because most of the dogs will be with me for life. Most of mine have physical or emotional problems. The ones that I think can be re-homed and do well I find homes for. So far I have found homes for 4 dogs and possibly one more. It's great that you would be thinking of this this far in advance, I sorta fell into it and didn't really plan it well. It's working well now, but it was a little bumpy a couple of times. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
My husband teases me endlessly when ever I mention I want to run a rescue someday he says no you want to be a hoarder someday. I have no intention in telling him that he has the potential of being correct. Honestly I have no problem with re-homing but I have only done it once and I knew exactly who I was going to give the dog to...it was just a matter of making them realize that was their dog...lol.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I dont think I could go into breeding, Id worry too much and then not want to part with the babies!!LOL
My retirement plan involves having a houseful of little rescue dogs. Preferably oldies and ex puppy farmers!:D

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How exciting for you to be planning your future. If breeding is something you really want to do than go for it. Do the research, talk to other breeders, find out how much a breeder spends and gets for this whole process.
If I was in your position, this is just my opinion, there are so many homeless pets needing good homes. I'm not saying to adopt them, but to help these animals in what ever way they need help like socialization and then you could try to place them in good, loving homes. I don't believe the shelters are doing all they can for these animals, as their plates are full and so many are being euthenized to make room for more.
So many back-yard breeders are adding to this problem. When you think about how much some of these breeders are charging for one animal, you could take care of 3 animals.
Just a thought and my opinion not meant to steer you in one direction, but I believe that you are looking for something that's more rewarding than profitable. Sounds like you are a very smart, caring person that would find means to help many animals.

p.s. By the way, nice to see a fellow Tennessean.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
making a Bucket List will help open you up to things you hadn't considered much before.
at 39, it's really not possible to predict what you will want in 30 years, or what the world
will be like. i've been retired (early) for a while now and i am still discovering new and
exciting interests... just started quilting a year ago and that has really turned into something
major in my life! you just never know...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts