Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the 1,000 questions in this raw section, i'm trying to get my guys on to their new routine and i'm just a bit anxious about it.

Axle is doing great on raw. He gets so excited at meal times. He puts his little feet up on the cabinets to get (about 4 inches) closer to the food as soon as he smells that its been taken out of the fridge and he walks around the kitchen on his back legs if he thinks i'm taking too long getting his dinner. He eats everything, he especially loves kidneys for some reason, and my only issue with him is chalky poop.

Chloe is not doing so well :( She has been on chicken for weeks and is fine on it but she won't eat the organs (even lightly cooked) and she keeps throwing up whenever I give her beef, even if its only a little and its mixed with something else. I know red meat is really important in their diet so im a bit worried she's not keeping it down. She is a real gulper of food. i'm feeding chicken thigh fillets that she has to chew a bit as I cut them into little chunks. The beef is mince, got it on sale at the supermarket really cheap and I though it would be an easy way to introduce them to it. Could it be that she can gulp the mince and that's what makes her throw up? I gave her the meat off a freezer burnt lamb chop in little chunks and she kept that down so maybe thats it. She's back on just chicken for now. I will go to the market this week and get some non minced beef and see how she goes but any advice in the mean time would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think you are on the right track... try a whole piece of beef rather than the minced. Maybe she is just gobbling it down too fast and that's why its' coming back up. I've never had a gulper, so I'm trying to think of other tricks to slow them down.... I think there's a special bowl you can get and you smush the meat into the bottom and they have to eat around little pegs and that slows them down. You could stuff a kong and freeze so it takes her awhile to get it out. You could feed semi frozen.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I tried for MONTHS to get Mari to tolerate beef but she would always vomit it up if more than .2oz mixed with something else. It got to the point where she wouldn't just vomit it up...she'd vomit 6-7 times after. :( So I guess some dogs just don't tolerate certain meats. Saying that...she can tolerate say the Surf n Turf Stella & Chewy's patties though I will say she looked like crap for a day after. Didn't make her vomit though. I try to avoid beef for her because of that.

I'd try to mix it in chicken in just a small amount but if she continues to vomit I'd mark it as something she's not able to eat. Good luck!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have you tried ground beef at room temp? A little tripe or yogurt mixed in might help with the digestion too. I have ALWAYS had a gulper in my crew. IMO using ground meats help as does smearing it around the plate or bowl. A lump will just add to a big gulp. I really mash my gulpers into the bottom of a very shallow bowl where he has to almost lick it up. He gets plenty of chewing from his bully sticks, cow ears, tripe sticks, bison cartilage etc... ;) so I really don't worry bout the ground food ( btw, I even grind my chicken necks). They all get a piece of Cornish hen out on the dock every other week too for chewing etc...
Good luck, hope there isn't a food allergy here and just some adjusting to a new food. And if it is, it's not the end of the world...beef is great, but not the end all!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She was ok on lamb so if the beef in bigger chunks doesn't work out I will just have to make lamb and possibly kangaroo her main sources of red meat. A bit more $$$ for me but she's my princess so no matter :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I too have one that just can't eat red meat unfortunately :( She throws it right back up. Then she looks awful for the next 12-24 hours. I can give her venison or lamb ziwipeak when the others have red meat and she does fine with those. She wouldn't even eat beef now if I gave it to her because she remembers it makes her feel sick.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubby and I are having fillet steak tonight so I will cut off a little chunk for Chloe and watch her closely. Last think I want is for her to keep it down but then feel miserable because of it.

Tkanks for all the advice everyone!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How did she do with the steak? Sometimes it's just a case of learning your dog. I'd completely forgotten that both Kristi and Heather have dogs that can't do beef. Luckily there are other sources of meat, but beef is such a good one nutritionally that I'd want to make sure it's a real sensitivity before I completely cut it out. I'm curious how she did last night.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No go. She licked it, played with it, tore bits off it but I couldn't get her to actually eat it. Axle was happy though, he got a 2nd portion of steak which he thoroughly enjoyed.

On a positive note though I ended up giving Chloe about a 1/4 of a chicken neck and 1/2 an egg and her poop was very balanced this morning (she's usually pretty runny after egg) so at least we had a win there. I will make up a bag of teeny bits of neck and wing tip that I can just throw in with other stuff when I think there is a risk of the runs.

I will get her some lamb and kangaroo when I go shopping tomorrow, I know she can keep both of those down. I guess beef just isn't her thing.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I don't know why some can't do red meat and it really stinks because it IS really the best 'available' nutritional meat out there; but if they can't, they can't. I feel the Ziwi is a balanced trade-off, at least for us, because I can't get any other types of red meat readily here. I would just do as Tracy suggested and be sure she truely is sensitive to it, and if the answer is yes, then no big deal there ARE good alternatives.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sounds like she's getting an aversion to the beef. Mari also won't eat it...like Kristi said...I think they remember how it makes them feel. Mari also can't do bison. She could do goat for a while but then started to vomit that up. Same for rabbit. The only red meat she's been able to eat long term w/o it making her sick is pork. She was able to do all the poultries ok (quail, chicken, turkey, duck, etc).

But yeah...every dog is different. Hopefully you're able to find a lot of other red meats she can eat ok! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts