Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is an issue :cry:
Pupa is throwing up ALL THE TIME in the car :cry:
If the trip is longer than 15 mins - she will...
If we take her somewhere I am stuffed with plastic bags (now I am actually managing quite well to "catch" her throw up in a plastic bag :D )
the thing is she is really enyoing the beach, the walks, but she is REALLY suffering in the car! Vet told us that she is just "car sick"...
will it stop ever? she is 7 months now... and she's always been like that...
my poor baby, we really want to take her with us everywhere, but I feel bad for her suffering in the car :(
may summer come we will be using the bike (scooter) and I'll try to take her in the bag with us... I've seen people doing it :)
does anybody else have this problem? how do you deal?
I was sure before that dogs are just found of cars :?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:( I feel your pain..Stinky does that sometimes especially when the trip is really long..what I do is not feed him..not even a scrap at least 1 hr before we leave and he will manage to be ok...but if we even feed him a small treat..he pukes it right out.. :shock:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, then you know how if feels :cry:
Pupa will just stay on my hands, putting her head on my shoulder and looking at me so sad...I understand her a lot, cos as a baby I was throwing up in the cars, buses myself :D
we dont feed her long before the trip, but she still throws up ANYTHING that is in her stomach (even liquid :shock: )

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:( poor baby, she must really feel awful..have you tried playing with her during the ride..maybe the motion of staying put all the way makes her be more aware of the movements of the car and that is what usually makes ME sick.. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice :wave:
we've tried different things - holding her on my lap, holding her in my arms and looking through the window, just putting the towel on the back seat and putting her there, opening the windown, closing the windows :D
I am thinking maybe to take somehting "chewie" in the car - just for her to chew on, not to eat...don't know...
last time on the beach she was running like crazy, really happy, managed to steal some of our picnick sandwich and obvously trew that up in the car and then another time, we even had to pull over and give her some time to "come around"

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: ouch! I know what you mean..Stinky stole my fries and we were taking the bus..is not fun when you gotta pick puked fries off the seat :D I'm pretty sure somebody will think of something we haven't! :wink: Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
They have a pet calm that eases the stress of certain things like travel, grooming etc. Try that I have been using it on Bindi when we do her nails, it doesnt stop her from freaking but I can definately get her attention and tell her to CALM down way more easy than not on it! :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
We have also perscribed car sickness medication (for people) and dosed it so that dogs can take it. My brother has to do it with his mini dachshund because if the trip is longer then 10min he will get sick.

Maybe you can try asking the vet about that also

·
Registered
518 Posts
My vet said it is car sickness and they grow out of it. My last two dogs, Doodle and Dumping, were litter mates. Doodle had fun in the car, but Dumpy could throw up just from looking at the car. The vet said she'd eventually grow out of it. About the time I got really good at catching it in a baggy, she outgrew it. I think she was about 8 months old at that time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kemo's mamma - sorry I didnt understand well - "pet calm" is a treat? medicine?
Angel5218 - can I just buy this medicine in any pharmacy or have to ask the vet first? kinda like the idea :wink:
Frasier's Mommy - I can compete with anybody about "catching it in a baggy" :D Will hope she will eventually have fun - cos I love having her around!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Dolgad said:
Kemo's mamma - sorry I didnt understand well - "pet calm" is a treat? medicine?
Angel5218 - can I just buy this medicine in any pharmacy or have to ask the vet first? kinda like the idea :wink:
Frasier's Mommy - I can compete with anybody about "catching it in a baggy" :D Will hope she will eventually have fun - cos I love having her around!
Sorry it is a holistic medicine you can buy at pet stores :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sadie's car seat has completely cured Sadie. Before she used to get sick all the time in the car but now she's only thrown up once and we take her everywhere. It prevents them from running around and it allows them to look outside while the car's in motion. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I agree that this is something that dogs can grow out of.
The actual medicine you can buy at the store...its called Dramamine.
You will NEED to ask your vet first before buying it to make sure he agrees that this will work for your dog. If he agrees he will tell you what type of Dramamine to get and how much to give. NEVER give any meds to your dog without first consulting a vet. (sorry, this isnt to say you would ever do that :wink: )
I know my vet gave this as an option for me but I would definately ask your vet and do what he suggests.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kemo's mamma - thank you! will try to look it up :wink:

ilovesadie - car seat? ehhh...like for the babies? or there are special car seats for dogs? :roll:

Angel5218 - thanks for the name! I will definetely ask my vet :wink: I am always asking the vet about everythings to the point that he might start charging me for the phone calls :D just a joke!
thanks for the advice! :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
LOL thats okay! I also annoy my vet sometimes but I dont care...I want to make sure I am doing everything right and he assures me that I should call him with any questions...lol!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Lady has issues when riding in car. she also gets sick and is a year + Daytona and Sturgis on the other hand love riding. I have tried everything. I then took her carrier put it on the floor in back or seat so she couldnt see out, she did get sick. but that was just once going to destination. the trip home she handled well. Now we do drive to fla. I couldnt stand her heaving anymore. the vet gave me a sedative. I havent used it yet lol. After awhile i slowly moved the cover off the carrier so she could see me i would tell her what a good girl she was and its oky. Again the first 15 minutes she got sick. she has since comeout of her carrier on her own and will eat without incident. Soemtimes its the initial getting into the car she will get sick after that now she is doing much better and no Sedatives :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
There are special ones for dogs.
http://www.pettails.com/petcarseats.html

Sadie has the Lookout II. My mom got it for her because she said it was too dangerous driving with her and worrying about her throwing up all over the car. It's much safer for both of us. Just think, you wear a seat belt when you drive...why shouldn't our pets? If you get in an accident, your poor pup will go flying and that's a risk I definitely don't want to take.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is something called Rescue Remedy by Bach Flower Remedies. It can be used for humans or animals and is available in health food stores. It helps relieve stress and tension associated with going to the vet, taking a car ride, etc. You can put it in their water or put a drop on their paws and it will be absorbed that way too. That might be worth a try. Also, I know ginger is good for upset tummies in humans but i know someone who gives it to their dogs too for carsickness. She uses these chewable ginger wafers by a brand called Solaray (it's called Ginger Trips) and can also be found in health food stores.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am sorry your poor furbabies have problems in the car. Gadget has been riding in the car since he was 3 weeks old and he love it.. He has never had a problem with throwing up. I know when I fly I have to take something for the flight or I will get sick.. I don't throw up I just feel like my insides are bouncing upside down.. I took drememine onc e and it made me sick... I think I had somekind of reaction to it.. My docotr finally gave me something for it and it worked. Can't remeber what it was... I decided flying wasn't for me so I stopped flying.

Good luck with your pups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts