Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( On sunday we always go to my husbands grandma's house and toby usually goes with us to play with two other dogs there. I was asked not to bring him today because the new baby of the family was going to be there. I came home to check on him and he has thrown up like 4 times all around the carpet. It was mostly carrots, because I have been mixing raw carrots with his food lately. He really likes them. Anyway so I did some training work with him with treats and a few minutes after he threw that up. Do you think he could have eaten to many raw carrots and that has upset his stomach? He never throws up and he doesn't want to play ball which is unusual. What do you guys think? I am freaking out because I watch a lot of emergency vets on animal planet and I am thinking he has an obstructed bowl. :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would say carrots aren't the problem. He is used to eating them from what you say. All 3 of our chi's love carrots and the kids have given them quite a few and they have never gotten sick. I'd say he just has an upset tummy, like we get every now and then. If he is still vomiting tomorrow, give your vet a call.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I agree with Trixiesmom. Milo occasionally has bouts with nausea and diarrhea every now and then. I think they can come down with things just like we do.

As far as Dramamine goes.... I have no idea. Our vet has on occasion recommended that we give Milo Children's Kaopectate to quell nausea and diarrhea. I know it has worked well for Milo. Hope Toby recovers soon!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
kao for children is fine, i wouldnt use dramamine though, its easy to od a tiny dog on it.
id keep an eye on him
dont feed him for a good 12 hours (he should be fine watch for hypoglycemia a lil nutrical or sugar would be fine but no food for 12 hours) make sure he has plenty to drink, vomiting and diahrrea causes dehydration quickly (you can add some pedialite to keep the blood sugar up and avoid dehydration)
and if hes still being sick tomorrow have the vet take a look!

feel better pup!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
toby hasn't thrown up and he has ate a little bit. I did take him to my grandmas and he played with the other dogs. He seems fine except when I came home and opened my car door he jump and fell right on the cement on his head. It made a horrible sound and I feel like crying. I'm so scared it hurt him. He seems ok, but I'm still worried. thanks for the advice guys, it always helps getting advice from others with chihuahuas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh my gosh! I would feel like crying too! Poor little guy...keep up posted on how he's doing.

Dannie

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Message from one overprotctive chi lover to another. Try not to worry all of our dogs get the odd bout of this. Usually only lasts one day and its over. We are all too overprotective of our chis. Only worry if it lasts more than one day then off to the vets just in case. x

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
mad dog woman said:
Message from one overprotctive chi lover to another. Try not to worry all of our dogs get the odd bout of this. Usually only lasts one day and its over. We are all too overprotective of our chis. Only worry if it lasts more than one day then off to the vets just in case. x
Well said! I agree.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes for some reason my sister informed me yesterday that toby was just a dog!! She was joking of corse because she knows how much he means to me, but she said I need to stop worrying about him so much. He is doing fine now.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I woke up the other morning to Carl puking in my bed. 3 times. And twice on my bedroom floor.
:)

But he was fine after that- running around like nothing was wrong.
Glad Toby's feeling better :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Glad he's feeling better. He's not just a dog though he's your baby as all mine are my babies. Makes me sick to my stomach if one of mine is ill or hurts itself I wish I wasn't so sensitive to them but hay thats what makes me who I am and I'm not too proud to admit I'm just a big old softy. Oh and by the way my partner is worse than me if thats possible what a pair, x x

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Katie 18 said:
I woke up the other morning to Carl puking in my bed. 3 times. And twice on my bedroom floor.
:)

But he was fine after that- running around like nothing was wrong.
Glad Toby's feeling better :)
Ernie did that to me the other night... yuck. But like Carl, he was fine by morn.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lucy vomited 3 times yesterday morning...and it's so unnerving. I couldn't imagine why she was sick. I guess they just get upset tummies sometimes. I felt so bad for Lucy because the third time she got sick, she wretched so hard her back feet came up off the floor:(
Anyway she ate last night and seems fine today.
Glad Toby is better too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts