Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my chi puppy, zoey, has thrown up 3 times today. she woke up and was fine all morning-- running, playing, eating-- and then she took a nap for about an hour. when she woke up she was acting strange and i knew she was going to throw up. she did. 2 times. and then she acted fine. she began running around and playing again for about 15 minutes and then threw up again. :( i don't know what to do. our vet's office is closed during the weekends....

should i take away her food? she was born in april, so she's still a puppy and i know she needs food about every 4 hours. should i just give her water and nutristat instead of the food? help..... i'm worried about my baby.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Do you have an emergency vet in your area? Try calling information on the phone.
How about Petsmart? I think there vet is open on Saturday.
If the throwing up doesn't stop I would at least call a vet and ask what they recommend you should do.
Welcome to the board and good luck!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been looking in the yellow pages for an emergency vet and i dont think we have one here. i live in a small college town. all of the vets that are here are only open till noon on saturdays... we dont have a petsmart either! :cry:

we woke her up and she started playing again.... she seems fine- but i'll keep watching her. hopefully she just ate too much this morning or is reacting funny to the antibiotics (she has been on them since tuesday)

thanks for the welcome to the board!!! ive never had a chi before so i'll take all the advice i can get!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
How old is she?
Why is she taking antibiotics?
What is the medicine?
Have you tried calling your vets office? Sometimes they will leave an emergency number for you to call or the number to an emergency clinic.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WELCOME first and foremost! :wave:

Kemo has thrown up before a time or two. One time he threw up 5x's w/in a short period of time and he was fine after that. you never know if they ate a bug or something that does not agree w/them. If its hot that may be something too. I would keep water there because he may want to drink if he is losing too much fluids. What color is the puke? Food you can make him a scrambled egg/boiled chicken or something bland later. BUT of course if he keeps it up he has to be seen. make sure you get an emergency place established heaven forbid there may be another emergency. Your reg vet should have a back up to guide you.
It coudl be the antibiotics, if its cephalexin (?) that has bad reactions to it.
Keep us posted, I will check back later..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zoey was born on april 23, so she's still a baby... she's on antibiotics (she has a respiratory infection.) the vet said that her lungs sound congested. she has also been doing what i hope is reverse sneezing. ive been researching it and am hoping that it isnt collapsing trachea. (the reason i think its reverse sneezing is that when i get her to swallow during an attack, she immediately stops) she does it very often.... multiple times a day. is that something to worry about?

she managed to eat a few pieces of food about an hour ago and has not thrown up again. even after running and playing a bit.

my boyfriend called the vet and he said that the machine said that they are closed. i wonder if he listened to see if they left an emergency number. i will call and listen to the message. on monday i will be hunting for an emergency animal hospital. hopefully i will be able to find one!!!

again, thanks for the welcome!! :D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I always thought that the reverse sneeze was a collapsing trachea - not sure though ?

I hope your little zoey is fine , I think if she has eaten since and hasnt thrown up again she will be fine, just make sure you find an emergency vet as you never know if you may need it again in the future (hopefully you wont)

anyway good luck with your baby she sure looks helthy in the pic and so pretty :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
colleen13 said:
here's a picture of little zoey :)
aw she looks like my Kemo......the collapsing trachea is as you may know a chi trait, unless its frequent then dont worry. Kemo has spurts where he will do it for days and then not again for weeks.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You might want to give her some nutracal too if she is not eating her normal amount.
My chi Sandy did the reverse sneezing for a while after I got her and she seems to have grown out of it. Mention it to your vet if you haven't already. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it is not getting any worse. It could have something to do with the respiratory infection too, maybe it will go away when her infection clears.
Watch to see if the vomiting reacurs after you give her the medicine, I don't know how many times a day she is getting it. But if it happens after the medicine you might want to see if your vet can give you a different one.
And difinatly if she continues to vomit get in touch with the vet on Monday!
Good Luck she sure is a Q-T-Pie!
We don't want anything to happen to her!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is the difference between nutristat and nutrical? we dont have any nutrical here but i definitely can run to the store and buy some....

she gets her antibiotics 2x a day- morning and night. she doesn't seem to get sick soon after getting it. today was the only day she's thrown up and it was at least an hour after taking her medicine, so i hope she only ate too much this morning. it was very odd how right after she woke up she got sick. im hoping that the reverse sneezing has to do with the respiratory infection. she does it multiple times during the day. she is sleeping on my lap right now and in the past 20 minutes she's done it at least 4 times. i really need to ask my vet what that's all about! i only hope it isnt a collapsing trachea. i dont really know how to distinguish between the two, but i will ask my vet at her appt on tuesday!

she is quite a character. very bossy. haha, but we love her :lol:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o geez, what if that reverse sneezing is actually kennel cough!!? i did read that at the end of the coughing, the dog usually brings up a white foamy substance if suffering from kennel cough... zoey doesnt do that. she just makes the noise and then goes on w/ whatever she was doing! it doesn't even phase her....

ok, so maybe i'm being an overly nervous mommy... :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
NutraStat and NutraCal are probably the same thing.
The NutraCal box says it's a "high calorie palatable dietary supplement".
It's got all kinds of Vitamins and minerals in it. It's in a tube that you squeeze out, it's just so she doesn't get hypo glycemic.
Hope she feels better now.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Kiwi got sick yesterday for the first time and throw-up 6 times in 15 mins and had dieara. I can tell you what the doctor told me. They told me to take her food and water away and to only give her ice cubes. They told me after they throw up they try to fill there tummys back up with food and water which make there stomach irritated and they will throw up again. The doctor only gave me medicine for the diarrhea and not the vomiting. I did what they said and she feels better today. I hope this might help. But if it is more serious please do not solely relieve on my info. and contact a 24hr vet. Hope she feels better

·
Registered
763 Posts
First nutrical and nutristat are basically the same thing.If your dog keeps vomitting take away the food, but keepa small amount of the water and you can even put some sugar in the water so she dont have a low blood sugar attack. Take it easy with the nutri- stuff as that can cause diarrhea if overused. You can also give your dog kaeopectate, about 1/4 tsp. That should help her.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zoey has not thrown up again since this morning. i think she is feeling better! i really don't know what that was all about, but thanks for all your help everyone! i got tons of useful advice and REALLY appreciate it.

i didnt know that nutri-stat can cause diarrhea if overused- definitely something i need to remember! how long should she be on nutri-stat? i heard that since she is so tiny and prone to hypoglycemia, she needs to be on it till she gains a good amount of weight. she weighs under 2 lbs still....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vomiting can also be caused when dogs eat grass, something that they do deliberately to clean their stomachs. Also one time i caught Jazz eating loose hair from the ground, and after a while she vomited twice taking the hair out.

Now if she's energetic and seems fine then you shouldn't worry about it, just make a call to the vet and let him know.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks everybody for your help!!! zoey is feeling MUCH better today........ no more throwing up! :) she does worry me when she does silly things like throw up, so its good to know you guys are here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts