Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a really bad thunder storm the other night and Ivy was absolutely terrified. She was shaking, whimpering and peeing everywhere everytime she heard the thunder. We could do nothing at all that seemed to pacify her and I was nearly in tears as I felt so sorry for her being so scared. She wasn't her normal self for ages afterwards. I know fireworks will probably have the same effect too. Does anyone have any good distraction techniques or ways to pacify her?

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Bella starts getting scared when she senses the weather is gonna get bad. Then if it rains or thunders she shakes and runs to the hallway.I usually take her upstairs and let her under the covers she'll stay there all day if I let her.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Mine bark a lot too,they hate the noise, NOT looking forward to firework night!!!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm a huge thunderstorm lover so luckily they don't bother Diego in the least! I've taken him storm chasing a few times and he isn't even phased by them. I think dogs pick up on human emotions, so if they feel like you're nervous they will be too. Maybe just playing with them and having fun to get their mind off it would help. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
My guys don't mind thunder or lightening either ( good thing because we get some tremendous storms here!) But what I use if they get upset about something is " Rescue remedy" I buy it at the health food store. I just give them a bit in the eye dropper and it helps them stay calm. People can even use it. It's all natural too which is really nice.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
my moms oldest dog muphin is a nervous wreck with storms and fireworks. well, actually she's almost completely deaf now so fireworks don't bother her. however, she is able to sense a storm coming sue to the pressure changes in the environment so she can anticipate it coming and soon as she does she is shaking and afraid. using noise and trying to drown out the sounds won't help (for fireworks yes not for a storm though) muphin just has to ride it out, she's too old for drugs and stuff. my tasha bird had to have ace cause she was a basket case with the noises and pressure changes. she was so bad that her stress anxiety would kick inot high gear and she'd have high blood pressure. the ace helped a lot, also when i put her on clomicalm the intensity of the stress anxiety wouldn't be as severe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All I can say is play music or the TV very loud and try to comfort them. My dogs did ok this 4th of July and didn't seem to care about the fireworks at all. It was Shorty's first experience with fireworks because he wasn't a year old yet, and he actually acted like he wanted to take on those loud noises. I swear, if a mountian lion jumped in my backyard Shorty would try to kill it. Sorry I can't be of more help, but my doggies are oblivious to thunderstorms and fireworks. Hope your baby is ok next time! ♥Kim

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Thanks for that Sheryl as it happens it's storming really bad right now & thundering like crazy. I found it really intersting it said they may associate other things that are going on during the storm & become afraid of them all the time. I've noticed that when the satellite clicks of ffor a minute Bella kinda gets freaked out because the satellite usually goes out when it storms bad.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That is interesting... I read that article or one similar to it when I first got OmaKitty and she was afraid of her own shadow. It took me about 2 years plus a year of "kitty psychotherapy" with a behaviorist to get her to a point where she seems content and not afraid - at least in the house.

Every room in our house has what I call an "Oma Safe Box". It's a simple but complex design I created where, essentially, there's a cardboard box nailed to the wall then taped up. I cut a small hole in the side of the box so when she looks out, she can't be "seen" from straight ahead. When something frightens her, she will run to a box or into the closet in our bedroom where she's got her own little condo I made for her to hide in.

I'm well aware of how much you worry when you have a fearful animal. The one thing I learned from the behaviorist which I've used all through Cooper's training and dealing with OmaKitty's outbursts is "ignorance is bliss". If they don't see you freaking out about them freaking out, they'll most likely stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts