Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet suggests Revolution brand for fleas. Just curious what others use. I read that it prevents ear mites, which I have been told is something chi's are prone to. Also good for heartworm. My concern is ticks. I live in an area where deer ticks are a problem, in addition to dog ticks. Anyone know anything about this?

· Registered
3,235 Posts
Here is home made recipe for Flea/Tick Treatment

2 lemons
1 pkg fresh Rosemary
1 tsp chopped Garlic
1 Tbsp whole cloves
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 dropper Neem seed oil

Slice lemon very thin and add all ingredients to a mason jar or similar. Cover with boiling water over and steep for 6 to 8 hours. again store refrigerator. you can reuse ingredients and make 2nd batch.

You can put little in spray bottle or put some on a cotton balls and rub all over but spray works better. some pets are afraid of spray bottle. work real good, even on out side animals like coats and such.

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Since my chi is reallyallergic to fleas, her Dermatologist put her on Comfortis. I'm always nervous about these flea/tick medications as they can be deadly. So far, so good--the Comfortis has been good for her. It's very exspensive tho; about $10 a pill, but as long as it's doing what it's supposed to, I'm fine. She's supposed to take 1 pill once a month, but to save money, I've been able to get away without giving her a pill for the winter months. I'll probably start giving them to her in April.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is expensive. I don't give my dog the Revolution in the winter either. He spends most of his time indoors in the winter, just outside to do his business and he darts right back in the house and under the blankets! Summer is a different story, he loves to be outside in the summer and absolutely hates air conditioning.

· Registered
311 Posts
I live in PA ~ heavy flea and tick area. My one cat is permitted Revolution as she doesn't like to go any further than the food bowl ~ for the ones that do go outside Revolution is not an option because it will not deter the ticks.

I haven't figured out what I am going to do with the pup. We had a rescue kitty who came to us infested, I mean totally infested so I did treat her initially, then got her on schedule with the rest of the cats and treated the pup. They are all to redone the 10th. The winter we have had was not harsh enough to kill anything ~ very odd for our location so the cats will definitely get their treatment the 10th. I need to settle on something for the pup. She loves the outdoors, so I am going to have to use something at some point, but want minimal chemicals on her. Seeing what Lyme disease did to my Dad's rescue now best buddy ~ I would never want to see another animal go through that. So I need to get my ducks in a row in short order. Definitely make a choice to combat the ticks because it's just heartbreaking when they get LD.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in PA ~ heavy flea and tick area. My one cat is permitted Revolution as she doesn't like to go any further than the food bowl ~ for the ones that do go outside Revolution is not an option because it will not deter the ticks. QUOTE]

I'm thinking of switching to Frontline in the spring. My brother's cocker spaniel got lymes. So sad.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
I use the bayer k-advantage/advantix...I buy the large bottle on line then dose it for a chi. He gets it about once a month or every six weeks in the warm months. So far nothing has bitten him. We live in New England and lyme is deadly here. I did have Rico get a lyme vaccine too. He is out at the beach and likes to hike in the woods.

Rosemary oil is a great repeallant too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.