Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today is Tiko's turn for pics. He's my blind old man that had such a hard life before I got him, we think he lived his first 11 to 13 years in a wire cage. He was most probably used because of his small size even though he is not to standard in any way. His front leg is crooked like it may have been broken before, he has scars all over his face and ears from rubbing on the cage walls and he has bilat LP. But he's as healthy as can be now and next month will go in to see about his awful teeth. He is not a friendly dog, was never socialized and only I can touch him or pick him up, but he is very loving and affectionate to me. He's just going to be loved on and spoiled for as long as he has left.
(yes, I know, he's going in to get his nails done, everything got off tract last month with everything that went on, the puppies and then me getting deathly ill, so I am behind a bit getting nails done)

Sleeping on my bed

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Aw. Poor thing. Im glad he has you now so the rest of his day can be happy. It makes me so sad that people can treat animals in this way. Do you mind me asking what happened with the puppies? When I was 10 we got a Chi from a breeder and later found out that she was pregnant. I remember the place being dark, filled with cages and mess everywhere. It smelled bad and although it was day time all the curtains were closed. She told us she was called thumbalina but she didn't know her name or anything. She was an adult and I chose her instead of a puppy. When we got her back she started getting bigger and we realised that she was pregnant. We took her to the vet and prepared for the birth but she ended up having 6 puppies, all premature, no fur and having trouble breathing. We took them to the vets and wrapped them up in cotton wool and foil to keep the heat in, fed them frequently by pipette but they all only lasted less than 24 hours. She became very protective of us and the house after that. I was absolutely distraught. My mum thought it might have been because the male was too big so she tried mating her a while later with a breeders advice and very very small stud but the same thing happened again. I was a bit traumatised by it at the time. It still makes me very sad to think about it to this day. I hope you don't mind me sharing...I thought it might help you to know that someone has been through a similar experience. Hope you're better these days. What you do for these dogs is wonderful.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your story, so sad. I lost Abby's puppies at four months to parvo. She was given to my daughter because her owner didn't want her anymore and didn't tell us she was pregnant.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Thank you for your story, so sad. I lost Abby's puppies at four months to parvo. She was given to my daughter because her owner didn't want her anymore and didn't tell us she was pregnant.
Aw. That's so sad. It must have been even more devastating having had the time to get to know them. I don't think I'd ever choose to breed because of that experience. Looking back I can't believe how clueless my mum was when deciding to breed her. We were lucky to not have lost her as well. She died 9 years ago when I didn't have a digital camera or anything and I'm sad now that I don't have any photos of her. She looked very similar to Mylo with her black and tan colouring and little tan eyebrows.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww I have dogs too that I never got pictures of and I am sad. She sounds lovely.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pam, I'm all choked up .... what a dear, dear old soul he is.
Thank you. He has simple needs and seems quite content...as long as the other dogs don't run over him while he's sleeping when they are playing. lol But I have a sheepskin on the lower shelf next to me and he curls up there, out of the way. He doesn't seem in pain most of the time, when it's cold and he seems a little stiff or ouchy, I have some Metacam anti-inflamatory for him to make him feel better. It amazes me that he can love a human after what he must have went through.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Tico looks like a wonderful little guy. I am so happy that he can live out the rest of his days in peace and happiness with you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad Tico is with you. What a wonderful little guy.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hard not to cry at his story.......well, and I'm losing the battle apparently, because I have tears running down my cheeks as I type.

You're a good and wonderful person. I'm so very glad Tico found you. I am thrilled beyond words that this old man gets to live out the rest of his days surrounded by comfort and love. Good job!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i still remember the day he turned up on your door step and i honestly thought he wouldnt have been in this world for this long , its just amazing :) , so glad he has got to experience a life a dog really deserves and know love not just a wire cage

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have never heard his story before either! He is so handsome! I now have a special place in my heart for him. What a brave and strong boy he is. Just as Twiggy, he's lucky to have you too. If only his life wasn't so rough before. But, I am so happy that he has such a loving and forever home to spend hopefully MANY MANY more years in! :D

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Reading his story mad me cry...Pam you are an angel...he is living out his golden years feeling what real love feels like, he doesn't need any eyes to see and feel that from you....seeing him makes me want to just give him a big hug...hope you will give him one from me !

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, he can be stubborn sometimes, but I love him so much. And Kathleen, of course I will give him a hug from you.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Pam, I have adored Tiko for a while--since I caught his story once before. I look for him in your scolling siggy. He loves you because he knows you love him. You are more special then I have words for. I also type this through tears.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What amazing thing you have done giving this lil guy a place to retire and live out the rest of his life in a healthy happy enviroment. How can people be so cruel I'll never know. I have to say he is a handsome fellow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm so happy to see that this little guy gets to live out his days in a happy and safe environment. You have a very big heart, and I'm sure he needs all that love to make up for the years of neglect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts