Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know how she did it but she's torn one of her nails on her back foot clean off! Right off so there's just a tiny stump of her bloody flesh.

She did it last night and it bled a lot but I cleaned it up and it eventually stopped. She was distressed last night and cuddled up by by neck and I had to soothe her to sleep.

Today she's been absolutely fine running around like nothing happened. But just now she got up on the bed and did her little digging routine to get settled and yelped out in pain. Obviously that agravated it. I had a look and it's not bleeding but she yelps if I touch her foot. I expect that's just because it's so raw.

My vet isn't open till Monday and it's not really an emergency. She's going in Monday for her booster so I'll get him to check it then just in case of infection. I'm thinking she may need antibiotics just in case.

Do you think it's ok to wait till Monday when they open?

I guess there's not much you can really do for it now other than keep it clean and dry. I could bandage it up but the air getting to it would heal it up better I think.

I had my big toenail come off once and by god that HURT! Poor Tillie must be in agony :-(

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Awww. Poor thing. Gonzo once ripped off his dew claw nail. It healed just fine by itself. Of course he doesn't walk on a dew claw, but I think by licking it, she can keep it clean enough. I am not a fan of giving medicine if it is not needed, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Dazy has done the same thing....Took her to the vets and they gave her a quick shot of an antibiotic and said just to not let her go outside for a few days until it healed. They did not put anything on it as they will just lick it off. Just keep it clean, I washed it the first day when it happened in tiny amount of mild baby shampoo and warm water, dryed it real good and just left it be. No outside because of the dirt..etc...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ow Ow Ow :(
poor Tillie!
why do they have these accidents at the weekends when the regular vets are unavailable?
i hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ouch! Gosh that must hurt. I think youre right, theres very little they can do for her at the vets other than clean it up and maybe give you some pain meds or antibiotics. We were at the dog park this week and there was a mastiff who had torn her nail a few days earlier and he said all the vet did was trim it down for her and they just had to wait for it to fall off. Another person added that she worked as a vet tech and if it wasnt healing properly to bring her back in as they will remove the nail under local anesthetic so it doesnt continue to cause problems. It sounds like Tillies nail is completely gone anyway, so I bet some meds is the best they can do to help. Poor little girl, ouch ouch ouch!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ouch! Poor thing! Is she limping at all? If you see any redness/irritation/pus/warmth/swelling or other signs of infection - then get her right in. But I would guess it would heal up just fine, although it will be sore!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Vavavavava! Whoah, *shudder*, Taco never got into that kind of mess, but maybe you should bandage it up, once I bumped my toe on a wall and I ripped alot of skin clean off, but I bandaged it up, and a week later it's almost healed.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww the wee soul!
That must have been well sore at the time!
She should be fine till you see the vet on Monday then since she isnt screaming in pain all the time, bless her.
Get well soon Tillie. x

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. She's ok today again after irritating it last night she had a good sleep and nw she's fine. Walking around like nothing happened.

She's got the vet tomorrow anyway for a booster so I'll get him to take a look. The nail is completely gone so I suppose that's better than having some hanging there.

I have no idea how she did it and can't find the nail anywhere. She was fine one minute then the next minute there was blood everywhere!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts