Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know Tillie is my first smooth haired chi. It's cold here now and she's been shivering just sitting there on the sofa. I have loads of little tops for chi's so I put one on her. The thing is she hates anything like that. She's so nervous even outting a collar on her made her wet herself.

I had a right job to get it on her because she was so upset and peeing all over. But I persisted and got it on. I feel bad about putting it on her though.

It's not for fashion reasons, it's only to keep her a bit warmer. lola and Cookie don't wear anything and don't need to because they're long haired.

Do you think it's worth leaving it on her to get used to or not?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i would put it on her for short periods of time that way she will get used to them :) , we are all scared of the unknown im sure she will warm up to them once she realizes they keep her warm :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have the same issue with Louie shivering although he isn't scared of clothes you can tell he doesn't like it.
I normally throw a blanket over him when he's sleeping which he snuggles up in that keeps him nice and toasty but I have ordered him a little hoody.

Maybe give her treats when the top is about so she learns not to fear it? Maybe place it over her and give her a treat so she can get used to the feel of it and progress from there? X

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing works with Tillie. I don't know what her previous owners did but she's a nervous wreck with everything.

I'll leave it on now I've managed to get it on her. I gave her loads of love and treats afterwards. Hopefully she'll realise when it's off it's cold and get used to it.

She's lying there looking miserable as sin lol but at least she's not shivering anymore.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Dahlia loves to get dresed as it means going "Bye-Bye".
She gets all hyper excited.
Now I gotta teach her it means "staying warm"!!
Yes let her practice wearing it but watch her.
They can get all tangled up in them.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Just make sure to tell her when you're getting ready to put something on her in an excited voice--This is Tillies, this is Tillies sweater! Chis love to know something is theirs & it will take a little time, but she'll get used to it. If you know she pees all over when trying to dress her, maybe take her outside or try putting it on her in the tub. After it's on, brag on her--Oh, you look so cute; what a cute Tillie!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Prada used to be sooo scared of putting the shirt over the head part she used to scream and sometimes poo LOL!. We kept doing it though and now she is used to it and we have no problems.
Just keep up with it and eventually it will be a piece of cake. Patience is key.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prada used to be sooo scared of putting the shirt over the head part she used to scream and sometimes poo LOL!. We kept doing it though and now she is used to it and we have no problems.
Just keep up with it and eventually it will be a piece of cake. Patience is key.
thanks that's encouraging. It's only for the cold weather just to keep her warm.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
When daisy came home we had snow on the ground ad she use to try tonattack me when was putting a sock on her what I did was put a treat on in the hole of the neck so she had to put er head through the hole to get the treat so it became more of a game and then I'd give her another treat as I was pulling each leg through it took a couole of tries and now she pops her ears back and puts her head through assign as her top comes out

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I first got Bailey it was winter and when I put a jumper on him he used to run along almost pulling himself along by grabbing hold of the neck of the jumper so I used to play with him i.e. chuck a toy and he would fetch it and he would forget about the jumper and gradually he just got used to wearing a jumper. Every now and then he does it for a couple of minutes but not very often, I think he knows its for his own good. Persevere and see how it goes, maybe a little at a time until your chi gets used to wearing something.

Joy xx

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's getting cold in east Tennessee and Lavender loves to snuggle under a blanket. I have sweaters and a jacket for her and she seems to get along fine with wearing them. I don't put them on her in the house, just let her snuggle under a blanket if she wants to, and put them on her when we go outside. I've turned the electric blanket on at night the last few nights and she loves that and snuggles up under it. I missed her yesterday and went looking for her and found her under a blanket with just her tail sticking out. Funny girl!

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awww marie, i feel your pain. Paige sounds exatly the same as Tilly. Shes still petrified of everything. I know Ive only had her since wednesday but progress is VERY slow!

I hope Tilly gets better x
awww the poor soul. Is she a pup or rescue? Sorry I haven't been on here much to read what everyone's been doing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Ziva hated wearing shirts/sweaters and first and would do whatever she could to get them off, now I think she's realized they keep her warm so she's leaving them on more & more, I just started by leaving them on her all the time, (didn't give her a choice).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE

I found a top she loves. Yay!!!!!!!!

It's a juicy one I bought ages back for Lola but I don't dress Lola now she has more of a coat. It's a size large so baggy on Tillie but she prefers it less restrictive on her body. She lest me put it on and is happy in it. Her posture is totally normal and she's not sulking lol.

So now she's a bit warmer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts