Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that my baby is going to be very small. She is 8 weeks and is 1LB 1oz. She charts out to be be 3-3.5 LBS, but I know that may not be accurate. She appears to be very healthy, active, totally fine, just in a very petite package. The breeder is terrific, and I have no qualms about anything, as far as her honesty or care being given to her dogs. She will not commit to a age/date when I will be able to get her, so I am not afraid of getting her too soon. She is totally all about what is best for the puppy. I am going to visit her in 10 days, as she had her first shot yesterday. I guess I am just nervous about her being so very teeny tiny! I think I have heard too much about the mythical teacup being a runt, and real small chi's being unhealthy. SO.....

That's where you guys come in.... Please, those of you who are experienced with tiny chis, I need reasurance that just because she is tiny, it does not automatically mean that she will come with health issues. My logical brain tells me that if she is healthy, being small should well, just be being small! But, my worry brain tells me, why waste a good worry!! LOL!

We do not have any children around, and the only dog she may be tussling with is another Chi (my grandpuppie) who is about 6.5 LBs. They are half siblings, actually. Same mom/breeder.

I contacted this breeder long before the puppies were born, and this pup has been "mine" since birth. I am not reconsidering that decision at all, just need a little reassurance from the wise folks out there.

Thanks so much!! (Sorry so long!)

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
:( sadly all I can say to u is with the little ones they take a lot of extra work I had a very tiny boy Nemo I think he might have been under a 1lb at 8 weeks and I lost him in an accident but that was a complete fluke. Stitch was 18oz at 8 weeks and sadly with this little guy I've been down the vet constantly but I think it's more my luck with my dogs :( Nemo was perfectly healthy eventhough he was the smallest chi I'd ever seen he never had any problems medically :) just take extra care of them and be prepared for anything also if u have a tiny chi I recommend having a very good vet with chi experience. Please dont worry mosty little ones have no problems at all they're the same as the bigger chi's just in a smaller package but the first few weeks watch them like a hawk. My little boy Nemo died from a knock to his open fontanella, but both my boys also have particularly large soft spots.

Sarah

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
well i wouldnt worry too much, 3.5lb wouldnt be shockingly tiny if you think some chis dont actualy make it to 2lb, shell probably be fairly sturdy. Also she might actualy outgrow the prediction, was she from a large litter? and how big were the parents and other siblings?
mia
x

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She was from a litter of 6, but only 2 survived. They were too small, between 1 oz to 3.5 oz. She was the largest a 3.5. The other guy who made it is now 3 oz larger than my little gal. He also seems healthy, just very small.

Both mom and dad are 5 LBish I think. Dad may be a little smaller than mom, but does not strike you as a "small" chi. Very nice, sweet dogs, both of them. Obviously healthy. First litter for this new daddy.

Nemo's mom: I think I have a pretty good vet scoped out. My daughter conducted interviews, toured their facilities, the whole nine yards prior to making her selection of a vet for my grandpuppie. She has been pleased, so I think I will follow suit. He has a pretty large Chi patient panel.
I am sorry that you lost Nemo. I have read lots of your posts since I joined this group, and have wondered what happened. So tragic!

·
Registered
106 Posts
little one's

My little Chassis is only 2.7 lbs. and she will be 2 in December. She has been healthy from the start. Her mom delivered 3 pups, we lost the little male after four days. He was very small and having breathing problems.
The only problem Chassis has had was a reaction to her shots. So just be careful about that. Good luck, and can't wait to see pic's

Beth, Smidgen & Chassis

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker weighed 1.2 pounds at eight weeks. He is over 8 pounds now, full-grown, although he is about a pound over his ideal weight. :) Sometimes the charts are off a good bit.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Fynn was only 1 and 1/2 ounces when she was born and is now 3 and 1/2lb, her siblings were all mummified.Got Rosie as a rescue at 2lb-6ozs she now weighs 3 and 1/2lb the same as Fynn, and are nearly 5 and 6 years old

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella weighs 3 1/2 lbs at 30 months of age...she is very healthy..no health issues at all. she was spayed at 13 months and had an uneventful recovery...we have a 20 lb terri-poo who is scared to death of Bella as she is very spunky...it sounds like you have a breeder you are comfortable with and who is more concerned about keeping the little chi with it's mom until she feels it is strong enough to go home with you.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
there was a 22 year old chi that weighed roughly 2 1/2 pounds when i worked at the animal hospital. he was healthy his whole life except for his teeth (the owners didn't believe in brushing or anything) so at 22 (or 25 i forgot which one he was there were 2 chi's over 20 one was the tinier one) he only had 2 teeth left. but i say as long as they are well cared for you have as much a chance of having a tinier chi be as healthy and live as long as a 5 pound chi.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella had been kept by her breeder but Bev knew when she was so small at 12 months she could never be bred, so that's when Bella came into my life...I would have had her spayed before her first heat if she had been with me...Bev also is a great breeder...very knowledgable and compassionate and her chi's health come first.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
there was a 22 year old chi that weighed roughly 2 1/2 pounds when i worked at the animal hospital. he was healthy his whole life except for his teeth (the owners didn't believe in brushing or anything) so at 22 (or 25 i forgot which one he was there were 2 chi's over 20 one was the tinier one) he only had 2 teeth left. but i say as long as they are well cared for you have as much a chance of having a tinier chi be as healthy and live as long as a 5 pound chi.
I love stories about age 20+ chi's. :wave: :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh dont worry! my chi is about 3.5 lbs and he is perfect!! i mean, i cant say i wont have any health problems but i do know that the standard for the breed is 2-6 lbs (i just recently read this in a book) which i was surprised to see 2 lbs cuz i thought that surely a 2 lb chi would have problems but apparently not b/c it is part of hte official breed standard

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bonnie was exactly 1 lb at 8 weeks old. now at 4 months she weighs 2 pounds. i'm told she'll be somewhere between 3 and 4 pounds full grown. She has been perfectly healthy thus far...she didn't even have a reaction to any of her shots, other than a sore leg. for that i gave her a little bit of baby aspirin and she was fine.

There are some things your vet will probably want to consider though...Bonnie had to wait a couple weeks to get her first shot because she was too small. we had to wait to get the rabies too. I was also told that smaller pups have a harder time regulating their body temperature, so take extra steps to keep the pup warm. i got a little cuddle toy that had a microwavable insert to put in her bed at night. that worked really well. But as long as you trust the breeder I wouldn't let the pups size deter you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts