Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a very small little guy called Charlie.
He's 4.5 months old and weighs 400grams. He's a bit of a naughty boy sometimes and we are still trying to get him to go toilet outside, but at least he sits on command.

I'm looking at getting him some female company in the near future. Had a look at a little girl today, she was 2 months old and already the same size as Charlie.

I'm curious if anyone knows what are the chances that his pups will also be his size?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
400g is 14oz (I always have to google to figure it out :lol: ) That is really small but yeah, no such thing as a "teacup"!

He is a cutie for sure!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
She just means there is a lot more to breeding than having cute pups. You can possibly kill your bitch when you dont know what you are doing when it comes to Chihuahuas. Standard means what the ideal AKC Chihuahua should look like, temperament it should have, etc... You should only breed to better the breed not to just add more puppies into the world when there are so many that homeless as it is :-(

Is your pup AKC registered? Does your breeder show? Do you know the lines of your pup? Are the lines healthy and have good temperaments? Did your breeder health test? When you breed do you know what you are breeding and can you add to it in a good way instead of a bad way?

Please take a look at the link I provided earlier :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What a tiny boy..:) and just adorable~ Only one of the many chi babies who have shared our home remained super tiny, Rio, and we lost him at age 13..Now our smallest, Snow, is just over 4 pounds at 15 months old; and Neko at 4.5 pounds at 7 years old. Welcome to the group.. Deb

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Breeders should be knowledgeable about the breed. Anyone who knows even the basics about chihuahuas knows, for one, there is no such thing as a teacup. Most people also will know that a very small male often cannot breed on his own. Are you prepared to collect semen and artificially inseminate your bitch? Will the puppies be registered? Is Charlie registered? Are you prepared to pay $1000 for a c-section possibly lose your bitch, have puppies die, etc??

·
Registered
455 Posts
He is a lovely little dog, and he will be a wonderful companion but breading chihuahuas is notoriously difficult and so it is best left to the experienced. Even then for those with decades of experience and knowledge the worst can happen, if you think it won't happen to you think again, my new girl has big fat C-section scar down her belly and I only have to look at that to be put off ever wanting to breed myself!

If you would like another dog to be a companion to him thats fine, but if you get a girl you will have to make sure you spay and neuter.

To answer your original question about if a small dog would have small puppies when bred here is a diagram and explaination, it shows how two medium dogs can have a range of sized puppies, depending on what they carry in their genes, so if you were wanting to breed because your dog is small, so you could get small puppies- well it doesn't really work like that.

Also it doesn't work that if you bred your very small dog to a bitch of similar size you would be more likely to get small pups, because a bitch that size wouldn't be able to be bred, she would be too small and her pelvis be literally to small to give birth to puppies.

GENETICS OF SIZE & COAT -

Here is a link to explain it

I hope that you feel I have been helpful as to explaining why its best not to breed, and not feel like I am having a go at you, because lets face it- we arent born with this knowlege we all have to learn it from somewhere! If you werent brough up around the knowledge and this is your first dog you have to learn somehow! I didn't know when I first wanted a dog about the do's and don'ts of breading and why you should or should'nt breed. At least you have come and asked questions instead of breeding without a thought then trying to ask questions later when it is going badly wrong. There is so much you can learn on here and there are loads of chihuahua books on amazon second hand to help you build up your general chihuahua knowledge and then you will understand why your Charlie is best kept as your baby, not a dad. For now I would just say enjoy and appreciate him as a pet xxx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Before even considering breeding Charlie, you would need to do the basic health tests to check for genetic problems. At the very minimum, you would need his eyes, heart, and patellas (knees) certified. Since he is so small, I would also have a complete blood profile including a fasting bile acid test to check his liver. Some dogs ARE genetically small. But some are small because they have something WRONG with them and they don't grow because of that.

Breeding is a huge responsibility. If you are going to do it, go into it with your eyes open and do it right and responsibly.

As Kristi pointed out, many of the tiny males are unable to mount a bitch and perform adequately, so these small dogs have their semen manually collected and then it is artificially inseminated into the bitch. This is also something you would want to explore and find out more about before even considering breeding him. Your vet can collect him for a sample and then see if he has an adequate sperm count. Many of the tinies are deficient in testosterone and don't have the drive nor the ability to reproduce.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am sorry I am unable to use your name, but I don't know it at this time. I'm pretty certain this will be the last posting I make on Chi People, as I will be a very unpopular lady after this one. ;)

My name is Deb and we live in the US. Hubby and I have 9 chi babies and adore the breed.

I have been on this forum for a while, but still find myself surprised at some of the comments which are made to new members, often before a "hello, welcome to the group." I have always found that people are much more open to listening to the opinions and comments of others after having established a friendship or some foundation that opens the lines of communication. Since little Charlie is only a bit over 4 months old, I think there is ample time for considering the pro and cons of breeding.

Your little Charlie is precious, and we did have one who was a tiny also for 13 years. When we lost him, my heart was broken, but I was so thankful he shared our life and home for such a long time.

I know some of the remarks made by others must have stabbed your heart.. they certainly would have hurt me. I am not a breeder even though I have raised 2 chi litters over the 20 years we have lived with and loved these little guys. Had I shared these breedings with this forum, I am certain that I, too, would have been quickly criticized. I am sorry you have been hurt, there are much more productive and kind ways of expressing opinions ~~and good "timing" is of utmost importance.

Feel free to contact me if you ever feel like "talking" chis with a friend and fellow chi-addict.. I have sent you a PM with my email address.
Blessings, Deb

1 - 20 of 38 Posts