Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescue chi, Muppet, is 9 months old and had been making a lotttttt of progress with his separation anxiety since we got him 4 months ago until we moved to a new apt last week.

He'd gotten to the point where he'd whine a bit in his pen before we went to work when he knew we could hear us and as soon as we left he'd sleep til we got home (I peeped with the webcam a few times, haha), but in the new place he barks and cries up a storm whenever he can't see me (even if my bf is still home!) and won't even eat unless I'm right there beside him.

Does anyone have tips about making your chi comfortable in a new apt? I leave him for about 4-6 hrs/day (while I'm at work) in the kitchen with talk radio on, give him rescue remedy, a shirt with my scent, his favorite cave bed and toys and a kong filled with frozen treats but he ignores all of it and won't even eat his meals or treats (verrrrrrrry unusual for him) until I come back. I'm scared our new neighbors might complain about the racket and ask us to get rid of him :(. Does anyone have any tips for getting your chis comfortable in new homes after a move? I was thinking about trying an anxiety wrap - does anyone have any experience with those? Thanks!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You're already doing anything I'd suggest -- so he may just have to take some time to "get over it" which does not at all help with your concern of him bothering the neighbors :(

I have tried a thundershirt (Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment) and do find it beneficial but not for the type of behaviors your dog is exhibiting so I can't speak for its effectiveness in that situation. It does help my shy little one be more comfortable when we have people over but it's by no means a miracle worker. It can't hurt to try though, ya know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice! yea, i think i might try a thunder shirt, just to see if it helps him stay even a little bit calmer! $30 or so seems worth it for sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts