Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on buying my first chi? im thinking of maye buying one at the begining of summer so it will have time to settle in and i can have time to train it before i go back to university in october?
also does anyone have an opinion whether males or females make better pets?
i want to learn as much as i can before bringing him/her home!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
One thing you will find is that most people here agree it is best not to get a puppy under 10 weeks ( 12 is even better ) so it has time to learn things from Mom and be a healthy baby. Be sure to research if you are buying from a breeder. I don't think everyone will agree on male or female . It is just a preference Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have a male and a female. I don't think anyone can say one is better than the other - it has more to do with the temperment of the parents as well as how they are brought up. I have one of each and they are equally good dogs. I know it won't help your decision-making at all but I think you should keep your options open regarding the sex of the dog. You'll know the right one when you see it. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you do plan on buying from a breeder make sure they breed for the health of the dog not for the money. And make sure they make you sign a spay or neutering contract that way you have to get your baby fixed. And she/he will be more healthy. If you are just interested in getting a Chi you can also try to adopt one for www.petfinder.com or at your local rescue or shetler. What ever you chose please do not buy from a pet store or a back yard breeder. Good Luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would also say that 12 to 14 weeks is a good age and anything below that is probably too young. Males/females doesn't really matter if you don't have yor preferences. Sometimes males are more active and stubborn, but it is not a rule. I also paid attention if the eyes were clear and coat smooth, ears without irritation, no bumps or skin problems and so on. i also saw how my Richie was playing with other dogs aroung- he was active, but not aggressive, but on the other hand also not submissive. You can also check how the dog reacts to noise and strangers- he should not get in panic and have an attack :lol: I personally don't know why not to buy from a pet store- all our dogs came from a pet store. Of course, you'll have to watch out that he has necessary papers, vaccination done and was kept in good conditions there

Richie's mom

·
Registered
277 Posts
Since you have some time to search, I would start early by contacting the AKC breeder referral representative for Chihuahuas. They will give a list of names and phone numbers of people in your area. Some of the information will be outdated but often the people you call, if they don't have any puppies or are no longer breeding, will refer you to someone else who does. You've got to be patient doing it this way because these are usually responsible show breeders you are contacting and if they have a litter often they will be holding back puppies to see if they will turn out. They also will not sell a pet puppy to anyone so be prepared to be asked questions about your lifesyle and past pet history.

Finding a breeder who shows is in my opinion the best way to ensure you will be getting a healthy pup. These people breed for comformation and temperment. Their reputations are on the line with the puppies they produce so they take it very seriously. They mostly sell on a spay/neutur contract, with health guarantee, genetic & health testing done. They will also usually stand behind their puppies for a lifetime, meaning if for any reason it doesn't work out they will take the pup back and rehome it. Of course, each will be different and have different standards, its up to you to find someone your comfortable with.

Contrary to popular belief, you absolutely do not have to spend a fortune to afford a pet puppy from a show breeder. I've seen them sell for half of what is asked for a poorly breed pet store puppy. Many times the only reason these puppies don't have a show career is because of a poor topline or bad bite. The breeders aren't in it for the money, what they make in profit if any gets funneled back into their show/breeding programs. So, get your referrals and start calling around and asking lots of questions and about prices. I bet you'll be plesently surprised and might find the little one you've been looking for. Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, you absolutely do not have to spend a fortune to afford a pet puppy from a show breeder. I've seen them sell for half of what is asked for a poorly breed pet store puppy. Many times the only reason these puppies don't have a show career is because of a poor topline or bad bite. The breeders aren't in it for the money, what they make in profit if any gets funneled back into their show/breeding programs
That is how I got Frasier. He came from a show breeder. I only wanted a pet. Frasier is a BIG boy with a long body - he's gonna go close to 7 lbs. when he's full grown. :shock: Chihuahuas are disqualified from serious shows if they go over 6 lbs. It was obvious the breeder had no interest in him once she knew he was too big. He didn't get his shots on time and was never wormed. He was tossed out back into a climate controlled kennel instead of being in the house with the high dollar dogs. But, I know he was well cared for up until she realized how big he would be because she thought she had a winning show dog. She obviously was not in it for the money. I paid a fourth of what her show dogs sell for. Frasier is happy and I am happy. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fraiser's Mommy- Your story with Frasier sounds a lot like mine with Princeton! He was put in a climate controlled kennel when she realized he would be too big to show and when he didn't sell w/in 2 weeks of her figuring that out. She was a very nice lady, but it broke my heart that he wasn't kept inside with her "teacups" (as she was calling them, not me). I ended up getting him @ 6 months (thankfully, he did get all of his shots and wormings) and I would guess him to weigh around 5 lbs? He has his first appointment with my vet this Saturday (I've had him for just a few weeks) and I will know his exact weight then. I also paid a very cheap price- $100... I think it was a pretty good decision on my part for my first Chi.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Big&Small said:
Fraiser's Mommy- Your story with Frasier sounds a lot like mine with Princeton! He was put in a climate controlled kennel when she realized he would be too big to show and when he didn't sell w/in 2 weeks of her figuring that out. She was a very nice lady, but it broke my heart that he wasn't kept inside with her "teacups" (as she was calling them, not me). I ended up getting him @ 6 months (thankfully, he did get all of his shots and wormings) and I would guess him to weigh around 5 lbs? He has his first appointment with my vet this Saturday (I've had him for just a few weeks) and I will know his exact weight then. I also paid a very cheap price- $100... I think it was a pretty good decision on my part for my first Chi.
omg u only paid that much? :shock:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup! Haha.. you read right. I paid 100 cash for a 6 month old, registered Chi. :) He is such a lover (to me.. and the short girls in my household). He just has some (sad to me) little habits b/c he wasn't around people that much (I'm guessing)... but we're working on making him more friendly. :) I think it was great to get a Chi that needed someone for my 1st one. That way, if I ever get another..I've got some experience, because this dog has definitely given me some challenges. I'd also feel more comfortable getting a younger Chi and "picking it out" moreso that I did with Princeton.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts