Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gatsby isn't putting on weight it seems... his bloodwork and everything was normal and he isn't acting sick at all. His appetite is just average- we were letting him free feed on Infinia but all he does is eat enough to maintain his current weight. We'd kinda hoped he'd put on a few pounds but it doesn't seem to be happening.
Any suggestions on foods that are *easy* on a sensitive stomach, but can be added to his diet to bulk him up? He seems to get loose poops pretty easily with changes to his meals so we're trying to find something that's enticing enough that he'll WANT to eat enough of it, but not something that's going to cause digestive trouble...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
what is he eating now ? i owned a pit bull yrs ago that was the same , the only way we could get him to put on weight was to feed him raw chicken mince :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you free feed the kibble? Sometimes that creates a picky eater. They just graze instead of eating a full meal.

Could you try a topper on his kibble? Something yummy like a scrambled egg, some diced meat, or canned food? Mix it all together with the kibble so that he will eat the kibble as well as the topper. Sometimes they get smart to that though and end up just licking off the good stuff and leaving the kibble behind. If that's the case - you could do an extra meal of canned.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
A couple questions, is he neutered? Un-neutered male dogs have faster metabolisms than neutered ones.
Do you free feed (i.e. leave his food out all the time)? I've found that makes for picky eaters, it is best to limit what he is eating to like 15 mins per feeding then if he doesn't eat he goes hungry till his next meal. This worked wonders for my pomeranian who came to me finicky. He LOVED eating Wellness Core mixed with a little canned food. Also using cooked chicken sometimes help picky eaters. Have you ever considered raw feeding? None of my dogs miss a meal nowadays :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You could also try adding a little olive oil or fish oil to his dry meals. That will help him get some extra calories and will give his coat a boost of shine. Reese gets a squirt of fish oil on his meals and he loves it, so maybe it would have the added effect of getting Gatsby more excited about his food too.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is still free feeding on the Infinia that I mentioned... so far its the only food that doesnt give him loose stool.
I'd love to switch all 3 onto raw some day but I'm so much of a type A person I need to do a lot of research before I'm comfortable balancing it out; I hear of so many cases of people raw feeding but that don't really know what theyre doing... TBH I'd be more comfortable finding someone I trusted to make out a weekly meal plan and then give it to me to follow.. eventually I'm sure I could progress to substituting more variety but I'm really just someone who needs an outline to follow first. Not gonna lie, to me the whole bone to organ to meat ratio overwhelms me.. even with prey model I'm hesitant to do it since I wouldn't know what weights or measurements to use for their weight, and it just seems odd to balance a meal out over weeks and months I just wouldn't know how to plan it. I've looked into it all a lot but I just don't think I'm ready.. ha.. it's the joy of having OCD, I need more structure.
And yeah, he's neutered BUT only as of about 2 weeks now. He just had his staples taken out last week, so hopefully now his metabolism will be in our favor.
I'll have to look into the fish oil.. his coat is still fairly dull since we've had him so maybe that'd help in that catagory too.
I'll try some of the other suggestions too; we'll see which one doesn't upset his tummy lol. Thanks again everyone!!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would stop free feeding, and start schedule feeding. That will really change the way he eats. A good high premium, grain free canned food will probably get his mouth to watering also. Just mix it with his kibble. Now that he's neutered you'll find that his metabolism won't be as fast, so that will help too. :) If he’s a young pup (under 9 months old), his weight/shape will start changing soon. Sometime you don’t really see them start filling out until over a year old.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Go real slow adding in the canned, or anything else. That will help keep his tummy from getting upset. On a very sensitive tummy I recommend adding new things in over 2 weeks time.

Any pics of the lil guy?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were told he was a year when we got him; but he's had at least 4 other homes before us... and the vet I work for guessed his age closer to 2 judging by dentition.

Got lots of pics of him, if you go through some of my previous posts I've put up updates from the night we got him... this ones one of the most recent but it doesn't show his weight too well due to his angle lol...

Picked up his food this morning and offered it just as a meal today, wouldn't eat it but he was fine to eat the girl's Evo when sprinkled on top. Last time we tried him on it he got some loose poops... but he's since been dewormed so hopefully that was just causing it as I'd rather have all 3 on Evo anyway.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would stop free feeding, and start schedule feeding. That will really change the way he eats. A good high premium, grain free canned food will probably get his mouth to watering also. Just mix it with his kibble. Now that he's neutered you'll find that his metabolism won't be as fast, so that will help too. :) If he’s a young pup (under 9 months old), his weight/shape will start changing soon. Sometime you don’t really see them start filling out until over a year old.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well once again everyones advice has proven quite helpful. I've since just been giving him 4 meals/day; and each time he's eaten the entire serving we give him. No doubt this'll help with his potty schedule too... thanks again my reliable chi people! =D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I find feeding ad-lib not to be much help with some dogs, the reason being that as the food is there as and when they want it they tend to jsut eat what they need and nothing more.

When the food is given at pacific times they eat more as they don't know when they will get there next feed. You can start by giving the right amount of food at each meal time and gradually add more over the following days.

This means the stomach isn't suddenly overloaded which can make a dog sick but helps the stomach get used to larger meals gradually and thus the dog starts gaining weight.

I do laugh though as I have Jake on a diet after being advised by my vet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts