Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would help my Mo gain some weight? He is eating Pure Gold dog food, but he never eats good and is always full of energy. To me he looks lanky, he is almost 5 months old and weighs 2lbs 10oz, which I hear is good, but I would like him to put some more "meat on his bones". Any thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
He's still growing, so he's probably looking lanky from being in the middle of a growth spurt. As long as he's not showing rib/hip/or spine bones, he's probably okay.
However, if he IS showing bone, you can always make up a batch of satin balls and give him a little bit with each meal...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yes, lanky is pretty normal for five months. As long as he is healthy I wouldn't worry - he will fill out later. He's busy growing skeletal frame right now.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It's hard to know whether that is a good weight or not because Chis vary so much in size. But you do want to make sure that he's around the kind of weight that he should be. Google chihuahua growth chart and you can check if he's following the chart well or not. You want to be careful not to over feed as it will put pressure on his joints. Chis are already prone to knee issues without any extra weight. At this point his skeleton will be growing, once that is finished that's when he'll start to fill out. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them. If you can see ribs I hear adding a bit of coconut oil to his food is good for weight gain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts