Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not dumb about dogs in general, and I work in a kennels. But, I don't know too much about chihuahuas (I think it's because they're so small people tend to take them on holiday, rather than bring them into boarding).

I'm going to look at a litter of 2 week old pups tomorrow, (not getting him till 12 weeks though) and I'm just wondering, is a boy or girl better in chihuahuas?
What should I be looking for (for a healthy chihuahua as I don't really care about meeting the KC standards, this is just for a pet).

I've seen pictures and they have a very slight wrinkle below their eye/at the top of their nose, do you think this is due to breeding too much for the short nose? And therefore going to cause some health problems?

I really just want a small pet that I can give a great life, and to be as healthy as possible!

So, what should I be looking for tomorrow?
Also, if there's a checklist of things I need to read up on/buy over the next ten weeks, then that would be so helpful!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Welcome to CP :wave:

Make sure to ask about any genetic issues the parents may have. Getting a good look at them will give you a good idea of your pup be like. When you are there ask her feed the pups together with one bowl. While they are eating, you will notice that some of them will tuck their tail between their legs and some will have their tails up. I have alway chose one that has their tail up. They are more confident and not timid. It doesnt always mean that they will be timid but there is a good chance they will be. When we bred our Mastiffs, we did an experiment, we kept 4 puppies. Two with their tales up and two with them down. All four where trained the same and raised the same. The two with tucked tails took a little longer to train as they lacked confidence and didnt adapt to new places very easily. They where a little more shy and needed a little time to loosen up, where the other two took right to it. They would be running around playing while the other two where still warming up.
I'm not saying that this is the case with all pups, but from my experience we notice a better results from puppies with high tails :D

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello and welcome..
I think different people look at litters and decide what they like best about a pup. Looks, personality, are individual choices.. especially since you are not looking for a pup to show, but one for a companion only. The question of boy or girl will get you a split down the middle..:coolwink: Some chi owners will swear that boys make the best companions, others feel equally strong that girls are the better.. We have 5 boys and 3 girls.. so obviously I like both~ but I have found that my boys seem to bond with me more, and my ladies are more independent. Happy hunting! Deb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that, haha the litter I'm going to look at tomorrow are all boys! I'm going to pay in full when they're 8 weeks and take for the vaccs myself and get a vets opinion on the health!

Yeah, I don't mind the shape etc, although they do look like apple-headed boys to me. I actually prefer the deer shape of chihuahua but there really aren't many in the UK!

Do you not think that the slight wrinkles will be a problem? I've never seen these in chihuahuas and I'm just a bit concerned that it's due to an over-short snout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts