Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gretel has been doing this insane coughing, and almost reverse sneezing since night before last and it's not like 1-2 episodes and done, it's chronic coughing and carrying on so I figure i'll call the Dr. and see about it.

Dr. is out Wednesday afternoons so the nurse instructs me to get some childrens benedryl and give it to her twice a day and call back if I see improvement to cancel my appointment for tomorrow.

I didn't even think about allergies....I myself called into work today because I have a migraine - from allergies; who would have thought my dog would be plagued by the same nonsense.

Is this going to make her drowsy? The box says give 1-2tsp every 4 hours so I gave 1.5ish, she lapped what she could out of the cup so i'm sure it's a little under the dosage.

By the way, pickin's are SLIM on benedryl, I went to CVS by my house because it was closer than work - I got the LAST box of childrens benedryl of any sort, including the tablets, rapid melts, and liquid. Unfortunately, it's cherry flavored and i'm sure chok full of things she doesn't need. Thank goodness i've been on prescription allergy medicine since I was 4, i'd hate to think my mum had to hunt it down like I did today!

**edit, I gave it to her ~10 minutes ago and her coughing has slightly slowed down.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh i hope it makes her feel better,poor little thing.There's so many allergies in pets and humans these days,never heard about dogs with allergies when we were young,makes you wonder where it comes from ,probably all the rubish they put in our food these days

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
There has been a big recall on childrens benadryl tablets, so it seems like everywhere has been out of stock for months. We managed to find the walgreens brand in the tablets so thats what Reese gets now, he HATED the liquid (we could only find cherry or bubblegum in the liquid so he had been getting that). My understanding is as long as you stay away from the ones with extras like decongestants added in which can be dangerous, the flavoring is not ideal but not the end of the world. Id look for the kids tablets somewhere though, walmart, target and whatever pharmacies you have close by should all have their own brands and they seem to be easier to get your hands on than the brand name, and theyre the same stuff. Rather than dosing out 1.5 ml in a little syringe for Reese twice a day, he gets half a childrens tablet in some PB am and pm and thinks hes getting treats, not torture.
I had originally disregarded our vets advice to try benadryl for him-he gets really really itchy flaky skin, we tried a lot of diet changes, special shampoos and supplements before I decided to give this a shot. One of the big reasons was I worried it would make him sleepy b/c it definitely knocks me right out, but it doesnt at all, and he seems more comfortable. It may take more than 24 hrs for her to show all the benefits though, it took us a few days to see an improvement in Reese.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh you touched right on the topic I wanted to ask about:

Do you give him the benedryl everyday like a treatment? I vaugely remember the recall on benedryl, I work in a Walgreens, but tbh they recall everything anymore that's why I've been hesitant to try *anything* on her. I knew she had seasonal allergies but they're BAD this year, mine are also worse than I can recall them ever being.

I ended up just getting the cvs brand and I think i'm going to cancel my Dr. appointment for the morning because she is showing improvement but i'd like to give her24hours like you said before I go in for him to tell me the same thing.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yep, I give it to him when he wakes up and before he goes to bed, although you can do it every 8 hrs. Reese was pretty sick last week and we didnt give it to him for a few days and his itchies came back in full force. I have been driving myself crazy trying to find something that will help him, and honestly the benadryl is the only thing thats made much difference. I think environmental allergies are actually more common than food allergies for dogs. Reese has them year round, but they get noticeably worse for few weeks every now and then, just like me really. I put off trying it for so long because I wanted to be able to help him some other way without giving him medicine every day, but this is the only thing that makes him feel better.
Our vet suggested we write down dates when Reeses itchies get worse so that we can compare them to the pollen, mold etc counts and try to see what he is allergic to. Maybe you should try the same for Gretel? Hers would probably be easier to sort out if she seems to get them more in the spring and not year round. I think Reese is probably allergic to dust mites and stuff that never goes away :( Poor guy.
My allergies were UNBEARABLE last year, I hope we arent in for another spring like last years. I was in a benadryl coma for like 3 weeks.
Oh, the recall is supposedly more of a "quality" issue than a safety one, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're always recalled for quality concerns, I just don't trust it.

I'm allergic to benedryl, pollen is flying and spring is in full bloom here by the end of february/early march so I have to start taking my zyrtec in January to make sure it's in my system before it goes full swing :( UGH! Allergies! You said every 8 hours is fine? I wonder if I should give Gretel 1tsp at 4?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Weve been in the 70s and 80s for weeks here too, I HATE allergies, Im on a script one but still need benadryl as well when theyre really bad.
Its hard to imagine how "quality" couldnt impact safety!? Any recall is pretty troubling.
Id give her another dose if she still seems bothered, if she has no symptoms then I think shes fine just getting it twice a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts