Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been off ill this week with a viral infection that has developed into an ear infection, so I've had lots of tissues in use this week and I've been having to get them back off Mylo very 5 minutes because he will steal any tissue he can get his paws on and try to eat it! he managed to get one while I was out of the room before and my other half hadn't notice. As soon as I walked into the room Mylo grabbed it and ran.

We're learning the 'leave it' command at the moment and I think I'm going to have to practice it with tissues instead of food!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
so sorry you are sick.Molly and Missy does the same thing with kleenex ,bathroom tissue or paper towels.We have to be really careful and keep everything out of reach I dont know why they do this

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby loves to shred paper products. As long as we catch him before he drags them under the bed (aka his secret lair where everything that has ever gone missing is), he will leave it when told. Once he gets it under the bed, he thinks he can do as he pleases with it.

I have a garbage can with a lid in my room for tissues, paper etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie has been known to love ripping up a good kleenex from time to time. Does he actually eat it? I saw a Dog Whisperer episode that was about a paper obsession. If he is actually obsessed, it might be good episode to watch!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've no idea, it seems to be his favourite thing! I keep trying to keep them away from him but he manages to find them some how! He'll even try to steal them from the bin!

I did wonder if it was contagious to dogs, I'll keep an eye on him but he seems to be fine. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toby loves to shred paper products. As long as we catch him before he drags them under the bed (aka his secret lair where everything that has ever gone missing is), he will leave it when told. Once he gets it under the bed, he thinks he can do as he pleases with it.

I have a garbage can with a lid in my room for tissues, paper etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
That's a good idea, we'll have to get one with a lid. Yep...Mylo does the same with our bed. It's high enough for him to get under if he gets onto his belly and crawls but not high enough that we can get him out again. He definitely will not drop the tissue. If I get hold of him and the end of the tissue and say 'drop' he usually will eventually but if I don't have hold of him he will just run. I've tried luring him with treats, calling him, telling him to sit...nope, he just runs and tries to eat the tissue before I can get to him. I only just started training him on 'leave it' so he'll take a good bit more training. He's just 13 weeks today so I think he's doing pretty good for his age (I hope!)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odie has been known to love ripping up a good kleenex from time to time. Does he actually eat it? I saw a Dog Whisperer episode that was about a paper obsession. If he is actually obsessed, it might be good episode to watch!
Yep...he only rips it up so that he can eat it. Strange little man. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube or somewhere, thanks for the tip! I wouldn't be so bothered if he was just making a mess but I'm concerned about him eating it. Usually I get there before he does but he has managed to eat some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts