Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you get a titers blood test and the dog shows he has enough immunity to rabies, do you need to get the blood test every year to satisfy the state requirments or does the one titers work for the life of the dog?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A titer does not satisfy *any* requirement.

A titer demonstrates to you, and your vet, if there is adequate immunity present.

You must then appeal to your vet, in writing, requesting a waiver from the rabies vaccination for your dog once you have had the titer done. The titer should accompany the letter.

A rabies vaccination is required every 3 years.

If you plan to use a titer and a waiver request for an exemption, titers must be done every 3 years.

Some vets won't honor a titer no matter what, so, I'd make sure your vet is willing to work with you before you spend close to $200 for a titer. Also make sure exemptions are legal in your state; some states do not give them out.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Good advice from Kristi.

I told my vet that Brody had a reaction after we left the office that I managed with benadryl following his rabies vaccination. Then with an appropriate titer drawn, the vet wrote him an exemption which he will renew for the life of the dog.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did some research and it looks like CA only accepts the waiver for sick and senior dogs under the care of a vet, so i'm not sure if I will be able to qualify Paco darn.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
As of June 2010, 13 states nationwide grant rabies medical exemptions at the request of a licensed veterinarian. They are Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If your dog has a reaction, even a mild one, your vet may provide a medical exemption. Especially if you have a titer in hand proving immunity status.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yay Canada?! No idea about it here but rabies isn't a huge issue here hasn't actually been a case in my local since 1996

1 - 9 of 9 Posts