Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Mo only has one testicle that has dropped, the other is up high. Does this complicate neutering? He is 7 mons old. He often wears a belly band, could this be the cause, will it drop, is it genetics? Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you working on house training him or are you planning on just using the belly bands on him?

From what I've heard - from other people who have had dogs with testicles that haven't dropped - is that they will take the dropped one like normal, but then have to do more surgery to go after the one that hasn't dropped. So, it's a little more involved. Maybe wait a little longer to see if it drops? What does the vet say?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If the other one is visible that is a good thing. Neutering is more complicated when the vet has to search for the retained testicle. It wasn't caused by the belly band, it is a common issue in small dogs, so yes it is genetic. It is unlikely to descend by itself now. There is a slightly increased risk of the retained testicle becoming cancerous, but neutering will resolve this.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Yes - it is genetic. No - at this point it probably will not drop. The neuter is slightly more complicated for a retained testicle, but if you can feel it, that makes it much easier for them to find and remove. I would give it maybe another month to drop and then take him in to get him neutered regardless.

A belly band would definitely not cause it...so no worries there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We are going through the same thing with Arnie. We took him for a health check when we bought him and they mentioned that neither one ball hadn't dropped and one ball was half out and half in! We have been advised to take them out sooner rather than later as they may over heat and get cancerous! She also said that the operation is more complex as they have to make two incisions instead of one and they sometimes have to dig around a bit in order to find them! He's going back on the 3rd and they are going to assess him then. He will b 7mnths on nov 15th

·
Banned
645 Posts
I've fostered a few male chi's with this problem and all the neuterings went fine. They just have to make a small incision like they do on the females and find it. The worst one male I rehomed, his was found up beside his kidney.

I also know a lady who bred chi's off a male with this same problem for years. None of his puppies ended up with the problem.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Apparantly if a dog with one testicle retained is bred from, the condition is passed on via his daughters. So while his sons may have developed normally, any male pups his daughters produce would be likely to inherit the condition. This is another reason neutering is recommended for monorchids, to prevent it being passed on.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel just had one testicle descend. He was neutered at nine or ten months old. Surgery went fine. They had to do two incisions. I felt so bad for him, but boy did he surprise me! He bounced back the very next day, like nothing happened! Poor thing - his male part is so teeny! Hehehe

He should be just fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's good that you can see and feel the second one now :)

I had a terrier mix a few years back whose second testicle didn't drop, and my vet told me to have him neutered asap as it posed a cancer risk if it wasn't removed. So I did, and the vet had absolutely no trouble neutering him, didn't even have to make a second incision. Poor pup milked the surgery for all it was worth, skipping training and taking treats ;) lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Carlos only had one drop too......neutering went fine but our vet did say the hidden one didn't look too great when he took it out, but Carlos was fine..........he too milked his surgery for what it was worth!! Lol......his mamma is a sucker! Lol x

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts