Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to teach your dog not to bark constently? I'm not worried about it right now, Lex hasn't even found his bark yet..lol! But were moving into an apartment and I want to be able to get him controlled on his bark if he by chance is a barker. I just want to know what the correct way or best way to teach your dog. :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey good idea Tiff I was about to post the same thing.

Great minds think alike. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
BArking... hmmm.. lets see... I listen to Gadget's mom and dada bark all the time... when ever they see people they bark and they are the first trailer in the park so they see everything and everybody. hehhhe but seriously... When Gadget barks I just tell him no bark... it works most of the time... If I am home alone it works all the time.. but if Mark and Amanda are home he wil start barking and it is not so easy to get him to stop... but we are working on that....

The funny thing is he will be barking and then his mom and dad will bark and he will hear them and he will stop barking.. works evey time... hehehehe not sure why he does that...

He usually doen't bark that much tho.... he usually only barks when he here's Daddy's truck pulling in to the drive way in the evenings and when he is wanting to play he has this little play with me bark...

At first Whe he started to bark I would walk over to him and put my fingers around his snout gently of course and say "NO BARK" in a firm voice... after a couple months of doing that now I just have ot say "NO BARK" most of the time...

good luck and god bless....

The best is to stop it as early as it starts....

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo is our big male in the house and a bit of a barker :? :D
paris and vienna only bark (if you can call it that :wink: ) when they are playing. for the rest they never bark .......
it depends on the caracter of the dog i think .....

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo is mute....lol....literally...

He does a half bark/growl/squeel type of thing and then he's kind of like Woaaah!! who did that!!

He doesn't bark at people, dogs, nothing....hmmmm

I know it's there somewhere!! I heard here somewhere about the water gun thing...I use it when he nips at my pant legs... :lol:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yikes! This is so hard, and we still can't get Ritz to stop it. It's kind of like training your child not to speak, so on one hand it's convenient for you, but on the other sometimes I feel like a tyrant =(

Anyways, we tried the normal methods like the spray bottle, saying no, and it works temporarily but nothing has worked so far long term.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cooper never barked until he hit about 6 months. Now he is a barkin machine. We've tried EVERYTHING! He's finally getting to a point now where I tell him to be quiet or that's enough and he'll let out a little bark under his breath and then he'll walk around growling (reminds me of a kid grumbling after they get in trouble). I recently bought a citronella collar off ebay. The ebay site said one size fits all dogs. When I got it, it worked, but not on Cooper. I called the mfg and they said it won't work on dogs under approx 5lbs. Cooper is 8, but is there that much of a difference between 5 and 8 barkwise? So I am fighting the company I bought it from now. grrrr!

I don't know what else to try to get him to stop. I think you have to just keep on it. I am hoping he will get better.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
ilovesadie, when you come up with a way to stop child speaking Please let me know... There are times Amanda talks non stop for hours... I wthink I am going to start sending her outside with the phone and telling her to call her dad and talk to him for hours... hhehehehhehe

I am not saying I want her to stop talking all the time just want he to stop talking about nothing all night long... She talks more than anybody I know......

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
ilovesadie, when you come up with a way to stop child speaking Please let me know... There are times Amanda talks non stop for hours... I wthink I am going to start sending her outside with the phone and telling her to call her dad and talk to him for hours... hhehehehhehe

I am not saying I want her to stop talking all the time just want he to stop talking about nothing all night long... She talks more than anybody I know......
lmao my god daughter who is 11 is just like that!!!!!! after having her for a night my head spins!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, :D Well we have cats so Spray bottles are definitly everywhere around the house. lol. I'll try to be consistant with it.......thats so hard haha, but I think Lori and I can manage. I want them to have fun and everything but at the same time I don't wanna tick off neighbors. Rigth next door a guy has a Saint Benard....lol....so if that dog barks, i don't think we'll have to worry bout it much! :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If anyone comes up with a sure-fire way to stop excessive barking, please let us all know. :lol:

Fortunately, Jasmine doesn't bark an awful lot - main thing she barks at are the cats who run loose in the neighborhood. There is one particular tabby cat who will lay on my patio and Jasmine barks non-stop at her/him. Not sure if it is male or female. It will just lay there and look through the sliding glass doors at Jasmine, like "Knock yourself out puppy - you can't get to me!" :lol: If it goes on for too long, I'll open the door and it'll run off. No bark doesn't seem to sink in with Jasmine. Sigh ............

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ahh..Let me know too!
Chloe is an incessant yapper/barker/screamer/cryer/howler! I can't leave her alone for 2 seconds. I'm going to be moving to an apartment in less than a year so I really need to get this figured out and stopped! :?
We NEVER go to her when she's crying, so she never gets rewarded for crying, but she still does it endlessly =(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts