Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm mum to 5 1/2 month old Rolo, a smooth coat chihuahua.
Ive bought him a few little t-shirts and a little fleece hoody for when it turns colder but I'm wrestling with my conceidnce as to whether or not I put them on him! He has tried them on and modeled them for photos and doesn't seem bothered by them at all but for some reason I feel slightly uncomfortable with the idea. I have it in the back of my mind that he is a dog and not a baby but I want to dress him! I suppose doing it for special occasions and cold weather is the answer. Any of you guys out there feel the same?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I dress mine just for fun but there are many people who feel the same as you and only dress their dog for warmth. Some chis really feel the cold and are more comfy with at least a tshirt even in the house during the summer because of the AC. My smallest dog wears something most of the time because she is cold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What a great thread! I have this exact same problem with my chi! I bought him a rain coat a couple of jumpers and a cute little sailor outfit but I have this battle with myself about if he should wear them in public. My family think I'm insane and my mother in law who has a big chi who shivers refuses to even put a jacket on him. I think I heard somewhere that when the temp is below 10c Chis need a jumper or jacket and I will be putting one on him as in that instance it's nessecary and not just fashion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
We only really dress Brewster for warmth reasons, because he has a thin coat. Also, he hates walking in the rain. Right now he has a rain jacket, a sweater, and a tshirt. We plan on getting him some hoodies, a warm winter jacket, and possibly socks or snow boots. He gets cold easily so I feel like it's necessary for his comfort. That being said, I like him to have things that are both functional AND attractive/adorable :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
LOL! I just put up a thread about this also lol!
I love dressing mine...each outfit is functional however I personally do enjoy finding cute stuff and stuff thats like 'human wear' so they're like little mini-me's of hubby and I...see nothing wrong with it!! Enjoy it:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Clothing for Chis

I have TONS of sweaters and tshirts for my chis! For the first three years I couldnt walk by a rack without picking something up! They are all so cute and everyone tells you you MUST dress due to cold weather, AC etc... My Chis however, are not natural born clothing fans like so many other Chis! When its cold they would rather crawl under a fluffy blanket. When I dress them, they will not move, they sit like statues and "sulk" hahaha! For the last two years I only sweater them in the coldest of weather, all those pretty clothes sitting abandoned in a bag! Mine will be six in October :)

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
If Elvis didn't like being dressed in clothes, I wouldn't, no matter how much I love buying things and dressing him up. But, thankfully, he LOVES his clothes, and feels more comfortable in them than he is naked. They also keep him warm - it seems like he is constantly cold. :) I think it all depends on the Chi and the mom :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I dress Toby for warmth. He just hates the cold- lately it has been in the high 50s or low 60s when I take him to day care in the morning. He can't wear clothes to day care for safety reasons and you should see the look of death that he gives me when his little paws touch the ground. I make sure that the stuff I buy him is fashionable too, though.

I have to admit that if I had a little girl I would probably dress her more for looks and temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I don't dress mine, except when it is cold. Even then Bambi will often remove her jumper in the car before we get to the walk location. They run around constantly when outside, so obviously don't get that cold! Indoors they have lots of snuggly beds and blankets and of course each other to keep them warm.
If you want to dress your dog and he doesn't mind then go ahead. Just think of his comfort first when choosing, some dog clothes are style over substance.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I recently bought my first clothing items for my pup. She seems to be adjusting to the idea but I think prefers to be naked! I would not dress her in the heat of the summer but now that it is cooler, I kind of like the idea. It would be totally easy to get carried away. The clothes are so cute but how many clothes does a dog really need?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I dress Chloe. She's been wearing clothes since I got her and she doesn't mind them at all. I think she actually really likes wearing clothing since she's almost always cold with the AC running. She's already shivering here if we go out in the morning since it can be in the high 60s. She's going to HATE winter. Haha I also only get clothes that are both cute and functional. I don't think there is anything wrong with putting clothes on them. And many of them really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I also said "I will never dress up my dog!" but then I saw my 3lb chi puppy shivering in the not even that cold of Vegas in December and I bought a bunch of sweaters. It is not so much dressing up for her, it is keeping her warm, just like collars keep her safe- so I really don't feel ashamed about that. Now that I know she does like wearing clothes I probably put her in T-shirts a little more than I need to because they are either cute or we go to a lot of political events and such and I will dress her up to show our support at stuff like that. And Halloween. But that is just my dog- and she really does not mind wearing sweaters at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dressing up your dog is cute but Im not a fan of doing it to my own dog. I would only go as far as charms on her collar or a bandanna or bow. The only time I dress up my dog is when its cold and even when its cold she tries to get out of her sweater. I guess she'd rather freeze than wear clothes?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dress my chi because it gets chilly here real fast. Of course, when I bought her a jacket I looked for a nicer one (thick, nice material, etc). That is fine, and when she's at home, or during christmas, put a little outfit on or two. But I think shoes, glasses, and all that unnecessary stuff is over doing it. There are shoes to keep their paws dry from rain or snow, but then there are shoes that look like they belong to a human baby...and that's just...my opinion I guess. Dog models look flashy and all, but I really hope their humans don't actually walk them like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sideout urs sound like mine!

LOL, mine would rather be cold too! They really dont like clothes! I did some research and whereas some chis do get chilled in a colder climate, a lot of the shivering is a reaction to excitement, energy level etc, They are not cold everytime they shiver! The shirt /clothing etc is a calming thing similar to swaddling a baby, it comforts them!:coolwink:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Kerri gets cold- it is not nervous shivering for her. She is a agility dog, training to be a therapy dog, and has an amazingly even temperment- believe me she is cold! Having near zero body fat and weighing 6lbs will do it. Nervous shivering is a different thing than standing miserable in the cold or her other cold behavior- desperately trying to get into my lap! We have chis on here who live in very cold places too- I bet they are also cold! I agree chis are nervous shiverers but it is not always the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi doginthedesert

Yup, there are chis everywhere and some absolutely need clothing to protect them from the cold! I only wanted point out it wasn't always the case! Thanks for clarifying in case someone misunderstood me! :p We are in Florida, so luckily for my chis, since they dislike clothing, it is very seldom needed here!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It hasnt become chilly yet here but I do have a little sweater ready for when it does. That is it though. I don't want her to be cold.

I am not a fan of cutesy dresses for girl chis, even though they do indeed look cute when I see them on other dogs. I can't picture mine in a cute little dress etc when she has a natural coat already.

My mother used to make me wear dresses when I was a kid, I didn't like it but I had no choice.. Hmm...maybe that has something to do with it..:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts