Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are still trying to figure out what is going on with Bryco and think it may be Colitis.

The new vet gave him a steroid injection because she said oral steroids can just irritate the GI tract more, and that this way, over 3 weeks, it will give his colon some time to heal up if it is indeed the problem.

She also gave us some free Hills Prescription Diet I/D. She said she doesn't like to recommend it but that sometimes it really does seem to help.

She is still really thinking it's a food allergy or multiple allergies and if we see improvement from the colitis in a few days that it likely is an allergy.

The I/D is optional but she said she thinks it may help. I read the ingredients and they really bother MY bowels (ha ha), just wondering, do you think I should feed it to him or go pick up a different, basic dog food formula? I really hate the thought of feeding him a food w/ ethoxyquin in it :-/

She said some of the natural balance formulas without rice or poultry would be an option, such as the venison formula which primarily has potatoes as it's carb source.

Said for now, to keep him off puppy food. High protein and high fat can seriously contribute to continued colitis.

What do you guys think? The ingredients for Hills Prescription Diet (I/D) are...

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Soybean Oil, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Ethoxyquin (a preservative).

MAKES ME WANT TO HURL!:foxes15:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh man, I hate the ingredients in that Science Diet prescription food! Terrible! But if it helps?? I'd do about anything now to get that boy's diarrhea stopped. It's been far too long and I'm afraid that the continual loose stools are going to mess up his intestines beyond repair.

If he were mine, I'd be desperate. And I'd try anything.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I agree, I'd try it and just see if it helps. Poor Bryco, I hope somehow it helps him. :( Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, I hate the ingredients in that Science Diet prescription food! Terrible! But if it helps?? I'd do about anything now to get that boy's diarrhea stopped. It's been far too long and I'm afraid that the continual loose stools are going to mess up his intestines beyond repair.

If he were mine, I'd be desperate. And I'd try anything.
That's about where I'm at. I can't imagine how that food is going to help but whatever, we're gonna probably give it a go. She said that we don't *have* to try it, but sometimes she uses it to get a dog stable. Sigh. I hate thinking of putting those awful ingredients in him. Makes me feel like a bad mommy.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's about where I'm at. I can't imagine how that food is going to help but whatever, we're gonna probably give it a go. She said that we don't *have* to try it, but sometimes she uses it to get a dog stable. Sigh. I hate thinking of putting those awful ingredients in him. Makes me feel like a bad mommy.
You are NOT a bad mommy! You are wonderful for trying so hard to help your little guy. Some people would have given up by now. Especially the daily baths, etc. to get the poop off him. That would get old real quick.

You know how committed I am to the raw diet.... well, I have a confession. Our cat eats Science Diet prescription food because she won't stop throwing up. I've tried every kibble out there and it makes no difference. She was vomiting up her food at least once or twice a day. Finally, in desperation, I put her on the SD and she only throws up about once a week now. It's made a huge difference. The ingredients are HORRIBLE. Especially for an obligated carnivore like a cat! You can get away with some of the grains in a dog, but cats need meat even more than dogs do. She won't touch raw with a ten foot pole and cats cannot be fasted. So SD it is.

You do what you have to do.

I'd try the SD in the hopes it will stabilize your little man.

Crossing my fingers for you!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are NOT a bad mommy! You are wonderful for trying so hard to help your little guy. Some people would have given up by now. Especially the daily baths, etc. to get the poop off him. That would get old real quick.

You know how committed I am to the raw diet.... well, I have a confession. Our cat eats Science Diet prescription food because she won't stop throwing up. I've tried every kibble out there and it makes no difference. She was vomiting up her food at least once or twice a day. Finally, in desperation, I put her on the SD and she only throws up about once a week now. It's made a huge difference. The ingredients are HORRIBLE. Especially for an obligated carnivore like a cat! You can get away with some of the grains in a dog, but cats need meat even more than dogs do. She won't touch raw with a ten foot pole and cats cannot be fasted. So SD it is.

You do what you have to do.

I'd try the SD in the hopes it will stabilize your little man.

Crossing my fingers for you!
I hope it helps him. I think he will never be able to be on a puppy food based off what she said, and she said that I shouldn't let that worry me, that once we know what meat source he can have, I can supplement with cooked meat. We just need to figure this out for now. She explained that the S/D prescription food is basically like feeding a big puffy vitamin of sorts...that I shouldn't read the ingredients because they've killed them all anyway, pummeled and hammared them all until they are unrecognizable to the dog which is why it is hypoallergenic in a sense and non irritating. :-/ She knows I don't prefer to feed unhealthy foods...she said that possibly some of the Natural Balance formulas might work. She didn't charge me for the S/D just gave me a bag but said it was my choice to use it or not. She seems to know what she's talking about and actually seems to care and want this fixed, so...here's to hoping. :-/

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Bryco.
Have you tried giving him acidophilus? It's a probiotic. Get the human kind that is just acidophilus, no other ingredients. Open the capsule and pour it on some plain yogurt. Mix it up and give it to him 30 minutes before a meal. I'd use half a capsule since he is small. You can't overdose him. Its all natural and its already in his system.
I would give that a try. I use this on my own dog Lily daily, and it stopped my mom's chi from having diarrhea in only one day. Her dog had diarrhea for over a week and nothing she did helped. I gave her the acidophilus and yogurt and it stopped that day. My mom continued it for a week, and her chi is just fine now. :)
Its worth a try. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rico had colitis and was one the W/D dry diet. The very next day he had a normal stool! The W/D really helped and fast. I don't know about the I/D, but if it doesn't work, ask about the W/D.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would use it if your vet recommended it. All of mine were on that nasty stuff when they were sick. But it does help get things back to normal.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Go ahead and try the I/D. The vet I work for prescribes it often for diarrhea/stomach upset, usually in conjunction with Proviable (a probiotic.) But it's usually just for a couple days until we see results, then a gradual transition back to his normal diet.

No, I/D is certainly not a top rated dog food... BUT it shouldn't have anything that's going to *harm* him since it isn't a long-term diet; and it does have excellent results with firming up stool and getting an upset digestive tract back on.. well, track lol.

It's like when we get sick and we just eat broth and crackers... 'course it's not healthy if it's all we ever ate but it definitely can help ease everything in the meanwhile til things get back to normal. =D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would use it if your vet recommended it. All of mine were on that nasty stuff when they were sick. But it does help get things back to normal.
How long were your guys on it for, T? The part I don't get is it is full of "allergens" when you read the label but supposedly doesn't irritate them...just confuzzles me.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yeah, it made no sense to me either. I read the ingredients and was like, UGH! But it really did help. Lexie is allergic to so much, so after about a week she started itching like crazy! She had a major allergic reaction. I had to call the vet in the middle of the night. They said to give her a dose of Benedryl and bring her in as soon as they opened at 7 AM. We were up all night, needless to say. I even gave her a bath at 4 AM trying to calm things. She had hives all over her, panting, pacing, it was terrible. The Vet had to give her steroids in her vein. Then he sent more home to take 3 times a day. She also was on some kind of med like an Antacid to counteract any more stomach upset. God it was a mess! Anyway, all but Lexie was on it for about 1 month. But Lexie had the stomach bug the worst. Crazy, huh! These guys can really keep us on our toes, can’t they!! But so worth every single second. Let us know if it works for Bryco. That poor boy has had a time, hasn't he!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it made no sense to me either. I read the ingredients and was like, UGH! But it really did help. Lexie is allergic to so much, so after about a week she started itching like crazy! She had a major allergic reaction. I had to call the vet in the middle of the night. They said to give her a dose of Benedryl and bring her in as soon as they opened at 7 AM. We were up all night, needless to say. I even gave her a bath at 4 AM trying to calm things. She had hives all over her, panting, pacing, it was terrible. The Vet had to give her steroids in her vein. Then he sent more home to take 3 times a day. She also was on some kind of med like an Antacid to counteract any more stomach upset. God it was a mess! Anyway, all but Lexie was on it for about 1 month. But Lexie had the stomach bug the worst. Crazy, huh! These guys can really keep us on our toes, can’t they!! But so worth every single second. Let us know if it works for Bryco. That poor boy has had a time, hasn't he!
Oh no...that's terrible! What did you end up feeding Lexie, then?

Yes, lol. Little Bryco has had quite a time of it. I am hoping we figure this out soon...I'm so tired of poop everywhere! And the poor little guy can't exactly help it :(

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I would try it, never would hurt just to see. I'm NO fan of Hills AT ALL either, but Willow is on it for her weight loss right now to see how she does. Once she looses her weight she is off of it!

Lori

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I went to Natures Balance, is that what it's called? I've used so many foods I can't even remember now. :lol: The one that has all of the allergy formulas. But that didn't work either. Had something in it she didn't do well on. So I went to Wellness Simple, Lamb & Rice allergy formula. She does pretty good on that one. But now it's Summer and she is fighting air-borne allergies again. Poor girl. :(

I can imagine it gets tough for you and him both with this diarrhea so long. But you are right, lil guy can't help it. Get well soon lil tike!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to Natures Balance, is that what it's called? I've used so many foods I can't even remember now. :lol: The one that has all of the allergy formulas. But that didn't work either. Had something in it she didn't do well on. So I went to Wellness Simple, Lamb & Rice allergy formula. She does pretty good on that one. But now it's Summer and she is fighting air-borne allergies again. Poor girl. :(

I can imagine it gets tough for you and him both with this diarrhea so long. But you are right, lil guy can't help it. Get well soon lil tike!
Natural Balance, I think. That's what I am hoping I can get Bryco on once we've got this whole mess sorted out because they don't have rice or common grains and carbs come mostly from sweet potatoes or potatoes.

He is ready to feel 100% too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Medical and Hills S/D are mostly lower end crap brands.... I would never feed my animals that crap.

But (yes theres a but) lol In some instances Medical and hills CAN help cats and dogs with accutal, problems.

A lot of years ago before there was the special S/D food for unrine problems in male cats, most had to be put down, it is acctually unbelivable how many male cats can live normal lives and much much longer live due to the urinary track food.

My moms cat has Pancreatitis (so they think) and she has tried EVERY natural food out there, she has been doing research for a year on this, and he still gets sick, the only food he does not get sick from is Medical hypoalergenice. I find it strange, but it keeps him alive.

I DO NOT like the brand, and would never push it, unless if was for urine, or gastro or something that acctually needs it for. The weight control, dental, matenice etc... are just money grabs and crap food a normal pet doesnt need to be on.

If there is nothing wrong with your pet, DONT use this food.

My vet reccomened the dental S/D for CC, I said ya right hahaha, I looked at the ingriedients and thought, omg this food is going to make her teeth way worse!!!

I hope I never have to try it........

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
yes i would feed it...When Twig had Colitis the vet put her on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control prescription food and she got better...even though it wasnt the best food i left her on it for a while until i found a food she could properly tolerate without getting poorly..it was more important to get her better

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh kristi poor poor little piglet yes feed it I think I'd be desperate. Daisy was on the rc wet version for a week when I first got her it bloated her like mad but helped her bloody stools. Fingers and paws crossed this works poor little man

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I just mentioned thsi in a previous thread, Jake was given this to help his diarrhoea but in fact it didn't help at all, I saw no gain in using it so I stopped and put Jake back on his kibble.

The hills diet i/d is meant to help with diarrhoea within 3 days but after 4 days Jake's poo was still very runny, one day after putting him on kibble his poo's were firmer.

so nope I would not use it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts