Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if the spelling is wrong on that, but my question is, what are the pros and cons of neutering.
Sonny is only 1.14 lbs and the vet says he has to be 2lbs to neuter.
I am convinced it will take forever for him to get that big, as he eats 3-4 times a day, but not much and is so active, i dont think it would matter if he ate a big mac twice a day...he would still be tiny.
so im worried about not getting him neutered soon, or soon enough, and what are the cons? Maybe I shouldn't get him neutered at all? Is it okay to wait a while?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Most vets don't recommend neutering a chi till they are between 6-9 months old, depending on their size. The benefits are it's much safer for a non-breeding male to be neutered as it nearly negates their risks of cancer. If you aren't going to neuter then you should allow the dog to breed. Also of course the other benefits are they won't start marking their territory. They may or may not lift their leg to pee if they are neutered.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How old is Sonny? My vet recommended waiting until 7mos. then if there are any baby teeth that haven't fallen out they can pull them at the same time. Un-neutered males can get aggressive, also they may show behavior like marking. There is also a decreased risk of cancer in neutered dogs. If your little guy isn't going to be over 2 lbs. it might be smart not to neuter him because they have to be put under for the surgery which could be dangerous for such a little fellow.
Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Age is more of a factor then weight, although you should always take weight into consideration.
If you are not breeding then you should definately neuter your dog. Problems such as cancer and bladder infections can come from an intact male.
Ginger, my female was only 2lbs at 5 months so I decided to weight until she was a year and 3lbs to spay her. She did fine but I was a nervous wreck the whole time.
How old is ur pup?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is 3 months old, well, 13 weeks this friday. We were thinking about breeding him, but im worried about the risks behind not having him neutered. I for sure dont want him marking everywhere...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
in his pack of 14 my grandfather had 4 of his own unneutered males, none of them had a problem and were neutered once theyd past their prime breeding age.
we had no problmes with agression (thats more a socilization issue than an intact issue) and all the males had a pecking order within their pack. and never shown any agression to ANYONE.
and though his dogs lifted their legs to pee none realy marked their territory inside (outside though lol)

i know of some people who have unneutered dogs who have developed testicular cancer however theres seems to be a strong trend in unneutered UNACTIVE males getting cancer and those used in carefull breeding programs being fine...for some reason unneutered males who arnt bred seem to have a higher risk of testicular cancer.
and humping seems to be higher occurance in none breeding males too.

it may just be that your vet doesnt feel comfortable putting such a tiny puppy under, the smaller they are the higher the risk.
If your planning on breeding see how he does in the show ring.

and a vet usually wont neuter untill 6+ months anyway so see how his weight does, it may just be a matter of giving him a while to grow a little lol.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
My ozzy was 2 pounds at 12 weeks and he got to about 5 pounds by the time he was 6 months so dont worry he will soon pack the weight on :lol:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Here is my 2 cents:

There are many health and behavioral reasons why you should neuter your dog. They have been mentioned here and disussed at great length, but for some reason a lot of people just kind of brush them off. I urge you to look at the issue as a responsible pet owner. Being a responsible pet owner not only means taking good care of your animal and making sure that their life is free from suffering and extended in any way possible, but it also means doing what is necessary to promote animal welfare, and to do your part in dealing with problems like pet overpopulation. If you have to think twice about breeding your dog, I'm guessing you didn't buy him for that expressed purpose (i.e. you aren't a breeder already). There are enough people out there breeding and selling dogs, and plenty of animals for you, your friends, and family to give homes to. As a responsible pet owner, if there is no real reason or necessity for your dog to impregnate a female, please neuter your dog.

I will respect whatever decision you choose, but I urge you to consider my thoughts.

-Nate

·
Registered
251 Posts
At the moment we also have a dilemma about neutering our Richie (as some of you already know), He is not yet neutered and it is still undecided if he will be at all. I'd just like to share with you what two vets told me about neutering, they pretty much said the same: you better neuter him if there are behavioral problems, such as aggression, tendency to run away after females, marking the territory at home, disobedience or "love blues". Otherwise, there is no reason to do so. As they said, the risks of unbuttered male in this case to develop cancer is as high as a man to develop a prostate cancer. Since we do not operate all men to prevent prostate cancer or women to prevent breast cancer, why should we operate dogs, said one of the doctors whom we trust deeply. Please, do not all get at me for posting this, i just wanted to present my opinion after I consulted two doctors and quite a few dog owners. i do believe however that everybody should decide for himself/herself.

P.S. I think also that this depends to some extent on the country, e.g. in Russia where I am from or in Austria where I live now large proportion of pets are not "fixed".

Richie's mom

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Richie said:
At the moment we also have a dilemma about neutering our Richie (as some of you already know), He is not yet neutered and it is still undecided if he will be at all. I'd just like to share with you what two vets told me about neutering, they pretty much said the same: you better neuter him if there are behavioral problems, such as aggression, tendency to run away after females, marking the territory at home, disobedience or "love blues". Otherwise, there is no reason to do so. As they said, the risks of unbuttered male in this case to develop cancer is as high as a man to develop a prostate cancer. Since we do not operate all men to prevent prostate cancer or women to prevent breast cancer, why should we operate dogs, said one of the doctors whom we trust deeply. Please, do not all get at me for posting this, i just wanted to present my opinion after I consulted two doctors and quite a few dog owners. i do believe however that everybody should decide for himself/herself. .
P.S. I think also that this depends to some extent on the country, e.g. in Russia where I am from or in Austria where I live now large proportion of pets are not "fixed".

Richie's mom
But that is part of the problem in America, it used to be considered no big thing if a pet owner didn't spay or neuter but now there is a serious problem with overpopulation and good animals, nice animals are being euthanized by the thousands daily because there are not enough homes. It's still an on going process to try and educate our populace on the need to spay/neuter. If my boy can't prove himself in the showring then he will be neutered. I am in no way disagreeing with your opinion, just trying to explain why it's viewed so strongly here.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i have only seen one case of prostate cancer in a male dog since i worked at the vet's, that is all i had to see to make my mind up about nuetering........ same thing with spaying just recently we had a 3 pound chihuahua come in with pyometra, and it wasn't pretty.
again i only had to see that one time before i made my decision to spay chiwi. there is no way i would let her suffer that. besides, my tasha bird wasn't fixed and i got her spayed at 8 years old.... it was too late, she had mammary cancer.......

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dyn...http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pyometra.html

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Richie said:
Since we do not operate all men to prevent prostate cancer or women to prevent breast cancer, why should we operate dogs, said one of the doctors whom we trust deeply.
Richie's Mom thanks for that very thoughtful post. I understand your thought process when thinking about the surgery. Your vet is right that almost 80% of human men have prostate cancer when they die, yet do not die from prostate cancer since it has low probability of metastasizing and usually isn't fatal.

However, I see the situation such as this: a human life expectancy is very long in comparison to a dogs, and cancerous cells in dogs grow much faster and as a result; a reduction to their lifespan is immense in comparison to a humans. Reducing 5 years of a humans life seems trivial in comparison to the 60 or 70 they might live happily without cancer. If your dog has a critical health condition that shaves off 5 years of it's life, for some dogs, that reduces their livelihood by 50%, HALF their life. Furthermore, when humans are diagnosed with certain types of non-fatal cancer there are chemotherapies and radiation treatment that can slow down the rate of malignant growth. Most of these treatments are too expensive to be brought to the mass veterinary market (although in some clinics they are offered, as in the US), and as a result, there is little we can do aside from surgery and basic chemotherapy.

My job as a "parent" and responsible pet owner is to prevent my dog from any current and future suffering, and to extend its life expectancy in any way I can. If neutering or spaying him/her will give him 5 years, or 1 month, or 3 days, I will gladly do it. As you said though, the choice IS up to you,

-Nate

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You really cannot compair a dog to a human...they get the same cancer but its totally different. I think Sadie's mom hit it right on the head.

This shouldnt be a discussion about humans and dogs...we cannot but humans down either but it is considered humane for us to put our pets down.

Unless your dog is the perfect example of the chihuahua breed then you shouldnt breed it. Only the best should be bred and the others can injoy a nice, loving life as someones companion. Humans also 'mate' pretty much when they want too...a dog has to wait for our intervention to do so....so if you are not breeding your dog why allow him to stay intact. You will get a dog who will want to run away if they sence a female in season, a male who marks, a male who is aggressive, and god forbit a male who has cancer or bladder problems. Same can be said for females.

We all know the responsible thing to do is spay/neuter our pets unless we are breeders, and even breeders will make spay/neuter manditory in order to buy a pup (another thread I belive talks about this). Its not like spaying or neutering your pet is cruel.

[/quote]i have only seen one case of prostate cancer in a male dog since i worked at the vet's, that is all i had to see to make my mind up about nuetering........ same thing with spaying just recently we had a 3 pound chihuahua come in with pyometra, and it wasn't pretty.
I too have seen a case of a male coming into our hospital with prostate cancer...a 5yr old Dobbie...he ended up being put to sleep. Oh, and without getting graphic it was one of the saddest things I had to see...when the vet found the cancer...that poor dog had to be suffering. We also have a intact yorkie come it with cronic badder infections. I was there when the vet called the mom and said "I have told you each time that you come in here that the only way to stop this is to neuter your dog, but you dont want to do that". She was very mad at this owner because she refuses to listen to reason and yet blames us for the fact her dog cant get over his bladder infections. *sigh*
I have also seen about 5-6 cases of females coming into the hospital with pyometra.I have also seen a case where two owners brougth their dogs in for exams just to find out their dog was pregnant! God only knows what the father is but both dogs were very small...i just shook my head as I left the exam room because why on earth would you have an unspayed dog if you werent going to breed her.

Sorry this post isnt suppose to be nasty or anything, its just that working where I do now I see waaaaay too many cases of health issues due to intact males and females. The first week I worked we had to put down a 2yr old male because he kept running away and was being agressive...they didnt want to spend the money on a neuter. :shock: Gosh it really got to me (thats kindof a different topic though) So please take this post as more of a venting for me (for work issues) instead of a lecture. :wink:
Take it for what its worth, but my opinion is to spay/neuter your pets, its the responsible thing to do and your pets will have a much happier/healthier life. 8)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just wanted to say that i am not comparing humans to animals, just posting my doctor's comment. we also do not plan to breed him and there is absolutely no chance that he will run away or get somebody's female dog pregnant. We live in the city center and there is just no possibility for him to run around without a leash, so we will definitely not contribute to overpopulation problem. Also no whatsoever behavior problems, like aggression or disobedience or destructive behavior at home on our side yet. I also wanted to say that working at the vet hospital or any other hospital of course makes you see a lot of terrible things, because obviously people don't come there healthy. I consider myself a responsible owner and it is obviously not a money problem in our case, just that we hold a different opinion on this topic and this is not because we are ignorant and we have consulted doctors about that. But thanks anyway for your responses and a friendly way they are formulated (I thought i would be stoned to death :lol: ), I am in no way trying to impose our opinion on other people and I really appreciate everybody's words here. Sorry for going on so long about that, but it is a hot topic in our family at the moment :lol:

Richie's mom

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
First, let me say I am no expert on spaying/neutering, but do agree if you don't plan to breed or show, then you should neuter if for no other reason than the future health of your pet.

However, the main reason for my post is to comment on the fact that sometimes we can "agree to disagree" about a topic, and no one gets angry or belittles someone else. I think that is fantastic!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the help. I feel frustrated because I feel like on an open forum, I can't even mention the "B" word. :oops: I am not an irresponsible pet owner. I am on this forum to gather the most information I can about my puppy whom I love very very much and possibly help other chi owners by sharing my experiences with chis. And most importantly, I would never "B" to make money. I totally respect anyone's decision to "B" or not to "B" as long as you are informed and prepared.
There are many human children in this world without homes that need adoption, yet if a family wants to have 1, 2, 3 or however many children and is financial and emotionally stable, who is going to tell them they shouldn't have any because there are plenty to adopt. Similar to "B". If I have good strong loving homes in waiting for all of the puppies, then what is the problem?
Sorry, thanks again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it...I just felt bad and accused a little about the "B" thing...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I didn't read page two before I posted...I guess Im just having a bad morning.
Thanks again to everyone for all the input. I don't ever want to do anything that would risk the health of Sonny. It is so great that I can post up a topic and gain so much gain information from so many points of view, and yes, some of those points of view are harder to stomach than others...
But, it makes you think about every aspect of your actions, which is so important!
sorry i blew up about the "b" thing, i just felt bad about it...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Your view is completely understood! Fortunately for children though, there are agencies that take care of and adopt out children, and these agencies are often government funded. Most rescue and adoption agencies are all run on donations and have limited space and resources. As a result, many animals are euthanized or neglected on a daily even hourly basis.

I bet that if orphanages started euthanizing sick or unadoptable children that were dropped off, there would be more people up in arms about that as well.

No one is condemning you for your choices, of course they are yours to make. There are just some people (myself included) that feel strongly about spaying/neutering and will push the cause at any cost =) I'm sure if you had stated that you were going to keep all the puppies as your own dogs (as people do with children) or have homes already guaranteed then I have nothing but support for you. The toughest part about the situation is that too many people believe that pets are transferrable or disposable, and it's these people (NOT YOU!) that we are skeptical of =)

We love you, your dogs, and hope you don't feel offended!

-Nate

1 - 19 of 19 Posts