Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked thru' threads but I just wanted to know I'm doing the right thing!

I spoke to the vet yesterday about getting Milo 'done'.
They won't do it until he's 9months old (hes almost 6months old now)
Im just mega nervous about it all I need reassurance having his tackle 'done' (as my vet refers to it) is the right thing!
And I would like to find him a brother one day(sooner rather than later) and would him be better to bond if hes been neutered?

OK I think I covered my worries :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Def the best thing to do. Reduces risks of cancer, straying, marking and usually creates a calmer dog. Plus the surgical risks for boy doggies is fairly small!:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's absolutely the best thing to do. He'll be a happier, healthier dog for it. As for getting him a brother, yes, there will be a better relationship between the two if they are both neutered.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's absolutely the best thing to do. He'll be a happier, healthier dog for it. As for getting him a brother, yes, there will be a better relationship between the two if they are both neutered.
Def the best thing to do. Reduces risks of cancer, straying, marking and usually creates a calmer dog. Plus the surgical risks for boy doggies is fairly small!:D
Thankyou that makes me feel far more relaxed about it all and that Im doing the best thing of Him!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I got Chico 'done' at 5 months. The VET told me that testosrone(sp) starts about 6-7 months and that is when the 'boy stuff' starts (marking, ...) I had alot of problems with my last Chi with marking everything in site, he wasn't neutered and I didn't want this with Chico. Chico is so calm and stays right by my side. I also had his dew claws removeed at the same time.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Yep unless you want to show or breed then neutering is the best thing to do, my vet wouldn't neuter either until Jake was 9 months old.. he reckoned having them done a little later was better for them as they were stronger to cope and it made no difference to their behaviours.

Mind since being neutered Jake doen't hump half as much but he still does mark quite a bit when outside or when he goes to other peoples houses ( I have to watch him fi I take him to friends houses now)

So if he is gonna be a pet and nothing more than yes I would have him neutered.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i would desex earlier another vet should do it .
i got my boy cisco desexed before he started to lift his leg ,he is now 3yrs old and has never lifted his leg to go to the loo lol he squats like a girl :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do what ever you feel most comfortable with. My pup is nine months & I haven't neutered him..... i'm still thinking about it. Right now I'm leaning towards not having it done. I'm a nurse & I wanna hear statistics not broad statements. I read an article that dogs only have a 1% chance of getting testicular cancer..... also that altering your pup puts them at greater risk for obesity....... I will continue to research because once you cut them off you can get them back

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh, it is the right thing to do for sure. I have had my boys done (dogs in the past) and it makes them much better companions. When you eliminate the hormones and the need to mate, they are just calmer. I had one done before he started lifting his leg and he never did lift or mark anywhere. One I waited until a little later to neuter and he did some marking but over time it was less and less. Besides the health benefits, it just makes them much happier boys. The need to mate is so strong and once that is gone....sweet, loving guys. My vet said it was like a drug addict...their need to find a mate is soo strong. Once you have them neutered it is like taking away the drive to get high. A huge relief to all involved. :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Neuter totally.. unless your going to show or breed Neuter.. far to many risks in him finding a bitch in heat and adding to the rescues out there!!

If i had a boy (which i dont) i'd want him done before he started cocking his leg and marking.. but thats just my opinion.. My friends dog isn't neutered and trying to keep on top of his marking (when he comes to visit) does my head in.. we've had Daisy's crate and my sofa marked.. i obviously wasn't very happy and now unless she's got him attached to her hip i won't let him in my house! Some mark more than others.. this one doesn't stop!!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
It's 100% best to neuter. I'll tell you what happened briefly with Benny my Chersya Chi.

I didn't get him done and when he was 9 he started bleeding heavily from his penis. I was worried sick. Took him to the vets, urine tests and stuff. Sent home with antibiotics. It stopped then one week later was back.

Back to the vets again he had to be put under and have tests to expand his insides up with air and stuff to see what was going on. Ex rays and allsorts. Told his prostate was enlarged. Could be cancer OR could be related to increased hormones because he wasn't neutered. They neutered him in the hope it would just be hormones and it would work. It did work thank god.

I went through a lot of worry and spent a lot of money and poor ben went through all that and it could easily have been avoided.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's 100% best to neuter. I'll tell you what happened briefly with Benny my Chersya Chi.

I didn't get him done and when he was 9 he started bleeding heavily from his penis. I was worried sick. Took him to the vets, urine tests and stuff. Sent home with antibiotics. It stopped then one week later was back.

Back to the vets again he had to be put under and have tests to expand his insides up with air and stuff to see what was going on. Ex rays and allsorts. Told his prostate was enlarged. Could be cancer OR could be related to increased hormones because he wasn't neutered. They neutered him in the hope it would just be hormones and it would work. It did work thank god.

I went through a lot of worry and spent a lot of money and poor ben went through all that and it could easily have been avoided.
OMG you poor thing that must have been so awful to go through

·
Registered
588 Posts
You're absolutely doing the best thing!

To kind of parrot the others sentiments here, it will greatly reduce his risk of cancers and other diseases. It will also curb a lot of aggression later on, especially if you do get him a brother.

Another thing I see a lot is that unaltered animals have the tendency to try and wander, and often times get hit by cars or chucked in to shelters when they get picked up.

I've observed and assisted in both spays and neuters and the process is really fast. The hardest part for the dog is probably the anesthesia, but as long as you have a good vet that's no problem. They are out for about 20 mins total (if that sometimes) as the procedure usually takes 10mins tops. With males there is hardly ever even a need for stitches!

You're doing the best thing for your little Chi, and I'm glad you've decided to do it. :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
My two dogs were neutered at 6 months, before they started lifting their leg, humping etc. They both get on great, have no weight issues, don't try to wander, no marking. What they would be like if I hadn't got them neutered I'm not sure LOL - but I am happy with how they are!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My two dogs were neutered at 6 months, before they started lifting their leg, humping etc. They both get on great, have no weight issues, don't try to wander, no marking. What they would be like if I hadn't got them neutered I'm not sure LOL - but I am happy with how they are!!
I didn't know wandering was a entire male thing.. my friends dog (same obsessive marker) 'wandered' today got out a gap she didn't even know existed walked down the alley way and ended up 5 gardens down :rolleyes: She still refuses to neuter him but each to their own!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had Joey done at over 8 months, Paco at 7 and Bartholomew at 5. I wish I had had Joey and Paco done earlier. Bartholomew was totally fine and since nothing had really started growing yet, it was like nothing happened. (Joey and Paco had minimal scarring and time for their swelling to go down). I think the age they will perform it may depend on size of the dogs though? Mine all ended up being 11 pounds, so a little on the larger size for chihuahuas.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I would also agree to get it done. But I wanted to add that I have an intact boxer who is 5 years old and he has never marked or anything in the house. He doesn't try to hump anything either.
So it isn't necessarily going to lead to those things, but I also think my winston is a rare dog for behaving so well. lol

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Do what ever you feel most comfortable with. My pup is nine months & I haven't neutered him..... i'm still thinking about it. Right now I'm leaning towards not having it done. I'm a nurse & I wanna hear statistics not broad statements. I read an article that dogs only have a 1% chance of getting testicular cancer..... also that altering your pup puts them at greater risk for obesity....... I will continue to research because once you cut them off you can get them back

Continue to research and you will find that these are not broad statements ;-) There are way more benefits to spay/neuter when you weigh the options. Ofcourse it is personal choice and that is why she is asking, to learn so she can make that choice;-) All of the things being stated here are true and from people that do the research and have had dogs for most of their lives.

I agree with the majority here, the reason not to spay/neuter is if you were to breed or show. If not then your dog will be much healthier and happier and it can definately can help with his attitude towards other male dogs :)

I would also like to add that I have 4 breeds all male, 5 dogs in all. Only one is intact and he is my Great Dane that I show in AKC conformation. None of mine gained weight after being neutered, all were neutered at 6 months old, except for Chibi. He was neutered when he was a little over a year and we had a fit with him marking the house :-(

As said above all dogs do not mark that goes especially for larger breeds. My Dane has never marked in the house. I find that it is more common for toy and other smaller breeds to mark the home if not neutered.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts