Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so 2 nights ago KC has learned how to jump 19 inches up onto my bed in 1 leap...i even have a vid. it was the night i had to wakeup at 5:30 am to hike that morning...and i only had 4 hours of sleep LOL~ -.-

i didnt teach her to jump up there...and now she even jumps on the couch. is there anyway of correcting this? i dont mind her being with me but when its time to sleep shes always coming up at me and giving me loving kisses but i cant sleep! and neither can Dex..lmao~ she keeps bitin at him for fun and playin while he just wants to sleep :daisy:

p.s: my bed was all stripped naked for an annual cleaning :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Teach her to ONLY use stairs to get on the bed. Then, at night, remove the stairs. That way she won't get on the bed. You have to stop her from jumping up on the bed now so she doesn't make it a habit.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Every time she gets up, put her down and give her a command like 'down' or 'off'. Some people say you should point to the ground and use the command so that they get off themselves but that didn't work wit Mylo, he just wouldn't get off. Be persistent and she will get it. We had to put Mylo down on the floor literally about 40 times the first time before he stayed down and we're still working on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha when it comes to training Haru, I'm as mean as can be. She is not allowed to even paw at me when I'm eating anything. I let her know that there is no way in hell she is going to get ANY table scraps. When she puts her paws on the bed or look like she's going to jump without invitation, I say "no" in a mean and firm voice. Then I would say "up" and say good girl if she comes up.For down, I usually just put something over the ledge of the bed and lure her down and say down. Then again...KC is a naughty one.....she is too smart :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have a sure solution, but I doubt your gonna like it! SHUT THE DOOR!! My chi's don't sleep with me. Two are in puppy pens and love them. One has the run of the house, except for my room.

·
Registered
191 Posts
BE FIRM. Be consistent. No means no. If the rule is "no dogs on the bed" or "only if I pick you up and put you on the bed" or even "only if I pat the bed to INVITE YOU" dogs can learn any of those specifications but it is YOU that has to be firm with a UH-UH or NO! when the behavior is attempted. You can do this, just catch her when she is first looking at the bed or sofa and considering it and correct her even before she leaps. She will get it, you just have to enforce it. I have a bloodhound that was allowed on the bed for two years but I finally realized I just could not sleep well with her. She learned in just two months of NO physical correction that the bed was no longer hers. I never pushed her off, it was all verbal, consistent commands to let her know it was no longer her bed. She is a sweet doll that sleeps on the floor on a doggy bed instead. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts