Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 1/2 year old girl who weighs 2 1/2 lbs
I was advised by her breeder and vet not to spay her because of anesthesia issues with her size
The vet assured me that what I believed all these years( that you should spay to prevent uterine as well as other female cancers ) was not true and according to him it makes no difference whether they’re spayed or not their chances of getting cancer are the same.
Any good knowledgeable opinions on the anesthesia or the possible cancer ???
Thank You !!

·
Registered
883 Posts
With a dog that small, I wouldn't spay until medically necessary - IF you can trust yourself to be responsible enough that she has no chance of being bred (which isn't a good idea for a dog that small anyway).

As to the cancer, your vet is right. Not having a uterus doesn't guarantee she won't get uterine-type cancer elsewhere, and actually increases the risk of getting other types of cancers.

She's adorable, btw!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much !! The only reason I even considered spaying is because she goes into heat more often than any other females I’ve ever had
Even her breeder said it was a bit too often
She averages every 4 months
No chance of her conceiving !!!!! Just a bit concerned about the frequency of her cycle

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you're still concerned after talking to your vet about it, you can ask for further clarification from them, and/or get a 2nd opinion. Don't be afraid to make sure you really understand their reasoning and advocate for what you feel is right :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're still concerned after talking to your vet about it, you can ask for further clarification from them, and/or get a 2nd opinion. Don't be afraid to make sure you really understand their reasoning and advocate for what you feel is right :)
Yes thank you !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts