Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Warning: Poop pics MAY follow***

I have a question for all of you out there that feed ZP. I saw Missy's thread about how much bigger the pups' poops got and it got me thinking...

I've always thought that Toby's poops were small. I don't know whether it's because he is small or what, but they've never bothered me. I was all set on switching Toby to Acana, but now I am considering ZP again.

I have two questions for you guys:

1. How long does a small bag of ZP last you and for how many dogs?

2. This is going to sound like a crazy question but is there anyway that someone could post a picture of their dogs poop so I can compare it to Toby's? I know this is insane but if it is going to make that big of a difference it's something to explore.

Thanks! I know this is a weird, somewhat gross request. If you'd rather PM the pic, that'd work too.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think a small bag of ZP would last Toby almost 2 months. Ax and Chloe each get about 2 desert spoons for breakfast and 1 desert spoon and about a meatball sized bit of raw meat for dinner. I make mine last longer by feeding a raw meal as well which I can do really cheaply because I have an asian market near me - I know for some people adding raw makes things more expensive but I'm lucky with where I live (basically my neighbourhood is 'little Vietnam').

My guys poops are not usually any thicker or longer than my little finger (and I have quite thin fingers) - not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's about half the size of Toby's poops! Two months for one bag isn't bad at all. Which variety would be best- lamb or venison?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
They say Vension is milder (the lamb feels greasier) and is less likely to cause loose stools so I would start on that. Mine also love the venison and fish but they are fish eaters and have raw salmon all the time, some dogs hate fish so I would try to get a sample of that before commiting to a whole bag.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Make sure you get straight venison as not all dogs like the venison and fish. My two hate fish

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. I know many people get the trial size pouches. Do you know where I can get that size? Or do I need to go through the company? I want to make sure he likes it before I buy a whole bag.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Look for a holistic ir all natural food store in your area and they should have samples. If not I can try to get a few from Kim at my store and mail them to you

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked, they don't sell any Ziwipeak at any stores within 75 miles of my house. But there are some places close to my new apartment, so maybe I should wait until I move...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think usually a small bag lasts closer to 5-6 weeks for a 5ish pound Chi. We buy the 11lb bag & that lasts 7 Chi's (ranging from 4.5-8lbs) about 3 weeks. But many of them seem to require a bit more than most Chi's.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. So if I budget for purchasing every 6 weeks, I should be okay?

I'll supplement with a few raw meals a week, maybe even every night for dinner, but I cannot commit to 100% raw right now, so I feel like this is a compromise. That way, he is eating raw nutrition without me having to worry about balancing meat/bones/organs and whatnot. So that should help it last longer too.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I cannot commit to 100% raw right now, so I feel like this is a compromise. That way, he is eating raw nutrition without me having to worry about balancing meat/bones/organs and whatnot.
100% raw didn't work for me either because Chloe just will not eat organs no matter what I tried. I feel like the ZP and raw gives me the best of both worlds and if I ever forget to defrost my little baggies of raw I can always just do a ZP meal for dinner as well. Plus they love it!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And it's not like kibble in the sense that you don't have to worry about spacing the meals far apart and the possible digestive upset that can occur when mixing kibble and raw! Plus, for someone like me that travels a fair amount, its convenient.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I was going to say more like 5-6 weeks. I would also go with venison over lamb. I had Gidget on Lamb and Lulu on venison. I loved it, and poo was small and usually 1x a day. I switched to Acana because Lulu started putting on weight, and I felt that if I cut her portion any smaller she just would not be hardly getting any food--I was feeding between 1/8 to 1/4 cup 2x a day. It is very rich--1/8 cup seems like a small amount to give a 4 yr old that is used to more food, but your pup is still young. I feel bad enough that I am only giving her literally 25 kibbles (yes I count them out at every meal) of her Acana, but I am trying to get her down to about 5lbs 10 oz. I took Gidget off of it because it made her urine very gold and strong-smelling and gave her bad breath, but she was on lamb. That may also be a good reason to go with venison.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
You can buy ZP at Petflow.com, and I am pretty sure they have the trial size. I also would be happy to send you a few servings of ZP in the mail just for the price of shipping if you want a sample.. PM me if you are interested :)

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Okay. I know many people get the trial size pouches. Do you know where I can get that size? Or do I need to go through the company? I want to make sure he likes it before I buy a whole bag.
Ashley I too live in Florida and I get mine at Woof Gang Bakery. I have to drive into Orlando to get it. I will mail you some in a ziplock bag if you would like. I don't mind. I have Lamb and Venison/Fish. PM me your address.
The bag lasts us about 3 weeks for the 2 pups. Nothing better. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am surprised at how long a 1kg bag is currently lasting Max. I have about a quarter of a bag left and have been feeding this one for about 5 weeks. I am feeding him half a scoop per day.

Not sure if you saw my thread about ZP and loose stools? I was overfeeding Max to start with - it's so easy to do with this stuff as it doesn't look much! I would also recommend starting out on the venison. I started with the lamb and think this may have also caused his stools to be looser than they should be.

I know you're not in the UK but the cheapest place I have found to buy it from is Amazon as they offer free delivery.

Oh and as for the size of his poop, I wouldn't really say that his are any smaller than before I started him on ZP (although the breeder did feed him a raw diet so this could be why?) The difference I have found though is that most days he will only poop once rather than twice so that is a bonus! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts