Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious how others with large packs of dogs work around here. Do you find it easy, do you delegate responsibilities, etc. Are there any folks here with kids that help out? As many of you know my life will be changing in July; we're moving and it's basically the first domino of my life. A lot of things are going to come from it... including my 501(c)3 which is my first goal to start gathering and recording what I need to apply and save up $ for the fee. Anyway, my dogs are my passion; but my personal life will have a lot of changes as well.
I just am curious how others who have large packs of dogs handle the responsibility. We have our 6 and 2 fosters and even when they are small, it's a lot of little feet running about lol. Rob and I fell into a routine, He does the meals and potty breaks for our dogs; while I dish out meals to the fosters and handle their potty breaks (they are let out immediately after eating, at 12:30 and 8:30.). We live in the city for now so don't want dogs barking, so we let them out in 2 groups just based on their energy level and how they feed off each other's behaviors. Then 3 times a day apart from meals, I take them outside on longer breaks, for exercise or play with toys. I'm in charge of any supplements (glucosamine, probiotics) that a few get 2x daily; and Julian gets a supplement treat at every outing. I do nails on the 11th and 24th of each month. Frontline on the 1st, and heartworm meds on the 5th. Cresteds get groomed (faces at least) weekly. "Dog laundry" i.e. beds, blankets, or washable pads I take care of twice a week. We have a couple who may be living with us, (we're like the cast of Friends LOL) and they spend a lot of time here and with our dogs. Everyone has their 'favorite' dog so they get good attention, lol. I wake up early when Rob leaves for work, so thats why I'm often on in the mornings. =) I take care of any house chores first, cleaning, dishes etc. and on days there isn't anything to do (Happy after mothers day all!) since nobody was here yesterday, I finish early and the dogs are all still snoozing haha. So thats why I get CP time! I've rambled all that because I want to hear how others do it; their family/household dynamic etc. Are there any, say, "insider secrets" that I wouldn't already know? It honesty gets easier over time, I think; feels like less effort... I've met a few people before who struggle to take care of 2, and often wonder how they'd handle it at my house; or if the standard of care just varies that much? I have OCD and love cleaning, so it fits me well. I have anxiety issues as well, and my dogs help that immensely. I never feel alone, I talk to them a lot (don't worry I never expect to or hear anything back lmao) and since I spend so much time with them I get to know their personalities down to each detail! It helps me when they're not feeling well. I notice everything right away if there's a change.
So, this is getting WAY too long; and I'd like to hear how others handle things! What your routine is, how you make it work, etc. =) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hmmm well it's just Bijoux and I but we have a routine as well.

In the morning I wake up a bit to find a dog in my face (she sleeps on my pillow beside me) I push her over so I can breathe she comes back, this goes on for about 15 min before she finally decides time for mommy to get up. At which point she licks my face.

I get up give her to my grandma while I go brush my teeth etc then it's right outside for a potty break. Then we come in she launches herself at my grandmother again and 'reads' the paper with her while I get her supplements ready for herself and I. Then she gets her peanut butter vita pack and I sit and chat with gma.

Then at this point she starts dozing so it's back in my room so I can check emails etc while she snuggles and settles for her early morning nap.

At some point I get hungry so I o make breakfast she follows I ignore (usually unsuccessfully) then after I eat it's play and the rest of the day is unscripted.

Revolution happens on the first of every month, nails approx every 2-3 weeks (I do small clips to keep the quick down) brushings everyday with a furminator too keep her coat light with the afternoon heat we are having. I ordered a tooth brush so soon it will be daily teeth brushings, most likely at night when she is calmest :)

And thats what Bijoux and I do. We go for longer walks at least 3x a week for her leg to keep the muscles strong. ;) were a fly by the seat of your pants kinda family haha

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have 3 dogs and we have a routine. Every morning by 8:30 they go out to potty outside, I prepare their raw food, feed them, they eat, then go outside again for exercise and potty again. In the afternoon we go for a walk or to the park or dog park. They also go out with me as much as possible. If I'm going to the bank drive thru, or to pick up dinner as take out, they go along. And at night my 2 chis sleep with me and my sharpei sleeps in her room in her bed with the door open.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I do not have a large pack, but in addition to the 3 dogs I have a full time out of the home job, a husband, 2 children, their spouses, grandchildren and 80 year old parents in poor health so it feels to me like I have a HUGE pack when I add it all up!

Routine is all I can suggest as the others and you have already said. Kind of like a new mom makes up bottles the night before and does laundry when the kids are sleeping, etc. I do not know if you have it all documented but I find that helps me feel like I have the chaos better under control when I have it all down somewhere-spreadsheet, planner, calendar, etc.

Sounds to me like you have a handle on it all!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I guess I qualify for having a large pack. :) I have a designated dog room, most of them are only allowed to be there. Gonzo and Abby are the most house broken, they get to go in the living room with my mom. I have a dog door with no flap that leads to a screened in patio and another dog door with just some screening over the opening that is easy to get in and out of because I have a mostly three legged 2 pound 14 oz dog that couldn't get out a dog door with a flap. They have access all the time to the patio and fenced off sun bathing strip. The dog door only gets closed when they are being too noisy as I do not want to disturb the neighbors. I do everything for the dogs except when my one daughter, Ashley, is awake if she sees the food bowl empty, she fill it. I free feed, so that takes a lot of bother away for me. I wash beds and blankets twice a week unless they are peed on more often, then as needed. If fact, I have a load going right now. I sweep the floor when needed, I have a Swifter for little oops, and I completely wash the tile once or twice a week depending on how dirty they get it. I pick up poo twice a day and wash the cement daily, bleach it once or twice a week, again based on how soiled it is. I have two pee pads down next to each other in the dog room as the puppies seemed to want to pee on one and were pooing next to the pee pad holder. So I put down a pad right next to the holder and they poo, mostly, on that. I still do find an occasional oops somewhere else, but we are working on it. I have a huge back yard for them to run around in, I try to let them out there two to three times a day. Every morning Tiko comes over and asks for his eye medication and to cuddle for a while. I usually have Pepper and Pepe on my lap constantly unless I have to type, then they have to get down. Smoke will come over and sleep on my lap once a day, too. At least once a day, I get on my bed, which for right now is in the dog room since with my mom staying with me, I kinda lost my bedroom, lol, and all the dogs come up and get played with and loved on and snuggled. If any of them come up during the day where I am sitting, they get some undivided attention, too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well,
My pack is not huge by any stretch. But with Pedro's health issues, and raw feeding 5 animals, we need a schedule. So we wake up at 7, straight outside for potty, breakfast at 7:30, then I take kira on a run. Chis get let out again at 9, then it's meds for Pedro, then naptime. 12 is lunch for Stella, plus meds and snack for Pedro. Then outside for Pedro, walk for Stella. Then playtime until around 4. Then naptime until 6. Then outside for potty, dinner for everyone, meds for Pedro, then another run with Kira. Then a walk for Stella. I also bring these guys to work with me, so the schedule stays 7 days a week. I might be a tad OCD with it, but it works for us.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We have 7-10 chis depending on how many I have at any given time that I am showing for someone else. They all sleep in crates at night...first thing in the morning everyone is hurried out into the yard, they get about 30 minutes of potty time and exercise time. They come inside then and I make their food. I have some on raw, some on pre-made raws, and some on kibble. So, they get whatever food they are getting in their bowls and then about half go in crates to eat and the rest eat in the kitchen. Then they go back outside in the yard for another 20-30 minutes. After that they just play around the house most of the day, they go out again at noon for 30 min. Then they sleep ALL afternoon. When my hubby gets home he takes everyone back out in the yard while he does some yard work...they come in, eat, and then have chewies in the evening and play or whatever. They go out one last time before bed. Before bed, each dog gets their mouth sprayed with Petzlife, their teeth brushed, and their coats brushed if they are long coats. Everyone gets their face wiped off and any tearing is dried up. They go to bed then lol.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
At one point I had 8 dogs and four other critters for a total of 12. I live alone in a remote area in a big house with acreage and have a very stressful full time job+ with a long commute. I have to have a routine with my dogs or it would be chaos. After a year at that level of critters (12), I just have had to admit I can't do it anymore. I re-homed my two fosters to Moms with more time. I am holding steady with theother dogs but will not be adding more/replacing more. I have been helping care for an elderly woman with major emotional issues, was given more responsibilities at the company i work for, and I have to admit I am coming to the end of my emotional tether! Thank goodness I exercise daily and am in excellent health for now. So, bottom line is, routine routine routine.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey Kat, to give you an idea of how I get things done, this is our Monday-Friday schedule, it varies slightly, but not by much.
I have three dogs and on average 2 rescues at a time, all of them are walked, trained and fed at the same time.(at times there are exceptions, but that is very rare)
My husband works full time outside the house(7am-4pm), and due to my chronic illness I work from home training dogs, grooming pets and translating documents from English to Russian.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

4:15am-6:15am - On-leash dog walking and outdoor training(before hubby's work)

6:30am-7:30am - House clean up

7:30am-8:00am - Feeding the dogs and eating an ultra quick breakfast

8:00am-12:00pm - Me working from home(training and/or grooming customers' dogs and cats)

12:00pm-2:00pm - On-leash dog walking and outdoor training

2:00pm-2:30pm - Shower

2:30pm-5:30pm - Me working on the computer from home(translating)(with small breaks for Chihuahua People Forum), between 4:30-5:30pm hubby is on-leash dog walking(after he finished work)

5:30pm-6:30pm - Cooking, eating and feeding the dogs

6:30pm-7:30pm - Relaxing time, yoga and/or meditation

7:30pm-8:00pm - My pups' daily grooming(doesn't take very long because I maintain it daily)

8:00pm-8:30pm - Quick house clean up

8:30pm-10:30pm - On-leash dog walking

10:30pm-12:30am - Me working on the computer from home(translating)(with small breaks for Chihuahua People Forum)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And of course in between both hubby and I play A LOT with our dogs and rescues, and we like to incorporate training into playing as well.
My husband and I are both very simple, easy going people, we don't spend much time or money on beauty, shopping or outings, we simply
prefer to care for all our dogs and enjoy the outdoors with them as much as possible, which is around 7 hours each day during the week
and about a total of 9 hours per day on weekends. And even if I'm in too much pain to walk(from my illness) then we pull out the
weelchair and off we go that way. It is extremely important to walk our dogs this much, my own active dogs NEED these walks to thrive,
and our rescues truly benefit as well, we correct a lot of unwanted behaviors that way so walking and training goes hand in hand. In my
opinion it does not take much to make your dog happy, you provide mental and physical stimulation, balanced nutrition and some love and
they will surely thrive.

On weekends hubby & I both volunteer, walk our dogs more than during the week, have fun, but also work our jobs(just for shorter hours than during the week)
Both hubby and I work for about 60 hours per week each. So I definitely think it is possible to have several dogs, rescue, and work as well, you just need to
have an open mind, be willing to work hard and be good at executing large tasks in short time, know how to plan and how to eat a balanced diet and
exercise in order to stay mentally focused and physically capable. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
We'll I have a fairly large pack I have 2 very large Macaws and a Conure, 3 dogs,2 cats, and a sixteen year old daughter that only eats one meal a day it starts when she wakes up in the morning and stops when she goes to bed at night I don't know why she's so tiny for the amount she eats she should be 200 lbs but shes not she's a petite 110 lbs. I get up in the morning and let the dogs out for a pee. While their outside I do my morning things like wash my face bush my teeth and put the kettle on for tea and now that Charlie's here I get his food ready and feed him before the other 2 dogs come in so they don't try to steal Charlie's canned puppy food. After Charlie has finished his breakfast the other dogs are allowed in. Then it usually play time for Charlie and Penelope so they play and I play fetch with TC while I cutting up veggies and fruit for the birds. Once all the veggies are done and in their bowls I fill their. Other bowls with a quality seed mix and add walnuts almonds pecans and pistachios and also a variaty of dried fruits. Once a week I make the birds scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese and they get that along with the rest of there breakfast by that time TC is tired of playing fetch and its time for a rest for him and Charlie Penelope usually goes back outside at this point she likes to play with the cats and chase the wild rabbits that come into our yard I have just under an acre and she's loves to run around out there. Then its time to wake the birds up I uncover their cages and open the doors my birds are only in their cages at bedtime the rest of the time they are on their play gym or on top of their cages they goin and out of their cages to eat. After thàts all done I have my tea and check to see what happening on the internet. Around noon Charlie wants to eat again so I feed him and then I start getting ready to go out. Sometime I just go a cross the street and sit with the neighbours we all gather at Shelly's which is the house a cross from mine. Charlie and Penelope come too and they run around with the kids and other dogs while yak and catch up on any neighbourhood news. If I don't go to Shelly's I'll either go to my best friends house or go into town and do some shopping. I live in the middle of nowhere so its very friendly everybody knows each other. The closest town is 25 km away and the closest store is 5 km away. I usually come home around 3:30 because I like to be home when my daughter gets home from school . The bus drops her off around 3:35. She usually wants a snack or something to eat so I make her a sandwich and then I feed Charlie again. At around 5 I get TC his dinner he can't eat just dry so he gets a little bit of chicken and gravy or beef and gravy poured on top to soften the kibble a bit. Penelope eats when ever she wants her bowl is always full it self filling some with the càts their bowl is self filling. The all drink thè same water except Charlie he's not tall enough to reach the water in the communal bowl yet. Then its time to start dinner my birds eat again at dinner time but they have what where having usually. So after we eat I give the birds there dinner and its finely time to relax until bedtime.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I suppose I qualify for a large pack. Haha I currently have 7 & am training a friends Chi so we have 8 in the house right now & 4 puppies who are thankfully still being cared for 99% by mama!

I work 2-3 week days a week so with that in mind....

Everyone but Matilda sleeps in crates or in a pen. Matilda is in bed w/us & Mari does as well when she doesn't have pups. Whoever gets up first in the morning (myself, hubby or Ivy) shoes everyone out the doggy door for a pee. I do 98% of the dog care. Figure they're my dogs, I wanted them, so I care for them. LOL Ivy does help out a lot & hubby & Gabby will help out if I ask or during my weekend to work (I work 3p-10p Sat & 3p-3a Sun every other weekend). Anyway...whoever gets up first on my days off (usually around 6am) shoes them out to pee & they play around for a bit in the house. If I'm sleeping in (hubby gets the girls off to school those days) they go back into their crates before hubby leaves for work around 8. When I get up which is no later than 9a I let them out, get coffee & bfast & have some laptop/cuddle time with them...some cuddle, some just play, chew, whatver. Between the time I get up & noon time I'll feed them bfast. Always switch up the time on my days off so they don't get too whiny. LOL

Afternoon is the time I do walks (which are not every day unfortunately & when we go for walks I do 2-3 at a time or double that if Ivy goes with me), show training for the 2 girls, nails/teeth/baths. That is also the time I do laundry, floors & other housework....always stop for facebook/forum breaks in between. haha All afternoon the Chi's have full run of the dog room, living & dining room. I scoot the little girls out to potty every so often as well.

Kids come home around 3p...always stop & gives the Chi's some loving when they get home. Ivy will sometimes take individuals & hang with them or take them outside or in her room. Hubby home & most everyone settles in for snoozing....except the crazy girl pups. haha They run around pretty much alllll dayyyy longggg. Evie anyway. ;)

Between 5:30 & 9:30 they get dinner. Usually around 10p they're scooted out the doggy door one last time & then put to bed.

Days I work they are let out at 5:30a, I shower, feed them (or not--sometimes those days I feed the bigger Chi's 1 meal after I get out of work--smaller girls get fed twice a day regardless) & stay out until hubby goes to work at 8a, then they are seperated into different parts of the house (mainly the dog room gate is closed with a few of them in there & a few in the living/dining area--the ones who are most reliably potty trained are in that area as they can't get to the doggy door) & the older puppies are put in pens. Matilda is crated as she's been out all night & will climb ANY/ALL gates. Girls off the bus at 3p & I'm home shortly after that. Then I come home & do any damage control, floors if needed, laundry, etc. Once that's done I sit & hang with the pups, do training or walks until dinner time & the rest of the evening goes as stated above.

Yeah that's it I guess. We have no "organized" way of doing things..just fly by the seat of our pants basically. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts