Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is a safety question that I am pondering -
I see most Chi Pictures with their collars and "jewelry" on- and I like the thought of a tag or a bell in the house (we have 5 chi's ranging from 10 years down to 7 months) But I am concerned (and ever so trained) about the safety of them running and playing at will with collars on- swallow a bell?, catch a leg or something worse wrestling?, get caught on something?? We NEVER leave halters on any of the horses turned out...so I am a bit confused and need opinions on the pros and cons - just advice in general because I would love to hear the tinkle of bells on the younger pups especially as they travel the house!
Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays!
Terri
www.geocities.com/dazeworkfarm

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I don't have my dogs wear collars mainly because they like to wrestle with one another and I could see them accidently getting hurt that way...they were harnesses that look like vests when they are out of the house. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine always wear a collar, always... if a door got open, they would slip right outside and I can't bear the thought of having one of them missing with no collar or tag to identify them. Just last week I returned a stray dog to their owner. I never have any problems with them getting hung up on anything. They wear them in their crates too, there isn't anything in there they could get hung up on. I take them off occasionally, but for the most part, they always have them on.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine wear them, but I am like you, I worry about the pretty ones w/the rhinestones, some are really secure and others are not. I bought itty bitty collars that have rhinestones(very secure ones) from Cuddles on this board and I get lots of compliments on them. You can contact her.(just put her name in the search box) They are the perfect size for a chi, I even got one for my newest little boy who is only 1 pound and his fits perfectly. I would give ya a pic, but some ghost in my house took the cord off the computer :shock: !! I am a little bummed about that!! By the way, welcome, I don't think I have seen you here before, glad you found us!!! :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie doesn't wear a collar as I am always afraid it will catch on something. I can't imagine how he could every get out without us knowing. At least I pray not. He does wear a harness outdoors and always on his leash

·
Registered
238 Posts
My dogs have all always worn a collar with their identification on it. It only takes a second for one to get out of an open door or gate. A good fitting collar shouldn't be a danger. It also keeps me from forgetting to put a collar on before going somewhere.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
My boys always wear a collar in the house. I keep bells on them, because I like to hear where they are at all times. I've never had a problem with them catching on anything or them choking on them and some of the collars have rinestones and stuff. Just make sure you keep an eye on them or an ear open. :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I leave Raz's collar on him because it's easier to hook his leash on when it's time to take him out to use the potty.

I've never heard of any dog, big or small, having a problem with collars.

Raz likes to chew his tag but other than that he's fine with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I leave Sunnys collar on him as hes still a new rescue and tends to bolt out the door. He has his ID tag and rabies on there too so I can hear him underfoot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I only put a collar on Snickers if we are going out. I too worry about it getting caught on something or him trying to chew on the tags.

But then again I don't have to worry about him getting out or anything.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I never leave collars on my chis. I will put a collar on a puppy during the day, while I am at home, to train them to a collar, but even that has a risk. I recently found Kit with her collar in her mouth, how she got it there was and still is a mystery. But she had almost chewed it in half during the short time it was in her mouth. It was a good thing that I was home, and she could not have had it trapped in her mouth for more than 10 minutes. Poor baby....

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
This might sound vain, but I only put Poppy's pretty collars on when we go out. She has some cute rhinestone ones and even a little Tiffany necklace (!) but I only put it on her so that she will look cute when we go out. I never let her have anything round her neck when we are at home, and she cant escape from our appartment, so I dont have to worry about her getting lost :wave:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i keep a collar and bell on vixie at all times, the one i use however is just for keeping a bell and name tag on and NOT for walking, because of this i found a kitten collar with a safety feature, a snap releas buckle (it clips but if pulled hard enough opens) it also has a small secition of elastic in it which stretches just enough to slip over vixies head when properly adjusted.
the collar is more a saftey, (bell always on feet and tag incase she ever slips through a door as were bringing in shopping or other such stuff as we dont crate train)
if she ever got caught on something or her leg stuck all shed have to do is give herslef a tug and the elastic will strecth or the buckle will release, and she can easily eascape, while i still have the secure knowledge of where she is.

if your worried abotu safety you could always take the collar off at bedtime (thats what we do with the spaniel as his doesnt have the saftey feature)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
While my dogs are in the house I dont leave any collars on them. Ginger once got her bottom jaw caught in her collar trying to get it off and i swore she broke her jawbone (she didnt but still it was very painful for her and even harder to get the collar off)

I perfer harnesses. My dogs reverse sneeze a LOT and it seems to be worse when they are wearing collars w/ leashes. I do put collars on them when we go out, but I hook the leash to the harness.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Geez guess I am a wacko I leave the collars on at all times...Bindi gets hers off here and there as she just hates it so I give her a break. I live on a main highway if Kemo got away I would want him to be brought back to me--hehehhe that is if he let anyone near him. :shock:
I have never had any problems either. Even with my cats........

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tequila wears a collar all the time with her tag on it, but then she's never troubled it or had a problem with it.

I don't walk her with her lead on the collar though, I use her harness for that.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I had a collar for Lina but she always seems to wiggle out of them lol. I thought about getting the pretty ones with rhinestones and such but decided against it. She has a little hot pink harness and matching leash that she wears now (plus a cute little necklace type thing just for cuteness lol). When I first hooked a leash to her collar I just gotten the sudden fear that she would take off to chase something and in doing so would snap her neck or something (from the jolt of collar on her neck). So now it's just the harness :) It's a lot easier for me too :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts