Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the other day i decided to really make somethin for Dexter as i need to start cooking nutritious homemade meals. i was searching around online and found this recipe that i vet approved :) so what they hay!...i try :]

mommy wutchu makin?

here it is in the oven!

all done and ready to cool down then eat

mmm~ smells good mommy

nom nom nom~

cheese! :D little pooper ate the carrots last lol~

i even had a little myself~ :eat: it's totally human consumable too! ignore the yams lol~ i was sooooooo HUNGRY!...but i wanted to leave the rest for Dexter's dinner tomaro~

i R food coma... :sleepy1:

it was a huge hit overall!...im glad the kitchen didn't burn down :grommit:

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks dogaliscious !

Now I have to ask, if it isn't too personal ~ what are the machines in the first picture.
hehehe! dex loved it :D bet he would've eaten more but he already had some chicken and eggs and carrots before i came home :foxes15: the machines LOL are 2 rice cookers that talk and a coffee machine...think it's Mr Coffee :lol:

·
Registered
801 Posts
You are so funny, I was laughing the whole time reading this post

:D

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Darn you woman, I'm soooooo hungry now!!! :sad5:

Can you maybe ship me some? I'll pay!!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
No way! It'll be fine, just freeze it and throw some ice cubes in the box. Honestly even if it
spoils a bit I'll still eat it! I'm starved and we got no food. :( Help! Even if I had a full fridge
right now it is way too late to eat, it's like 12:30, so shame on you missy for teasing me
with delicious looking images!!! GRR!(yes I'm growling!)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No way! It'll be fine, just freeze it and throw some ice cubes in the box. Honestly even if it
spoils a bit I'll still eat it! I'm starved and we got no food. :( Help! Even if I had a full fridge
right now it is way too late to eat, it's like 12:30, so shame on you missy for teasing me
with delicious looking images!!! GRR!(yes I'm growling!)
hahahahaha! u CRAZY! lmao. u would get a stomach flu from food poisonin then u would be mufflin curses at me and growlin too while shakin ur fist! LOL:lol:
gahhhh~ 12:30 is late to eat????...oh man u should see what i eat at 5 am sumtimes LOL :coolwink: hey i'll make u a section to see my late nite meals LOL

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awww I wanted to be excited about this post and the fact that you are home cooking for Dex, but dangit.... are you SURE you got your vets approval? Cheese is very fatty. It is a dairy (of course) and extremely hard on the liver and pancreas. Since Dex has some elevated liver enzymes, I would caution you HEAVILY on using fatty foods for him. It's only going to make his situation worse. :(

Here's a recipe instead that is FORMULATED for dogs with liver disease like Dexter. Maybe you could compromise and go on and home cook - but use a recipe that doesn't have so much fat in it.

http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/sacs/shunt/Liver_diet.pdf

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
^What she said. =P

It does look appetizing, but I'd be really worried feeding that kind of a diet to a dog who already has health issues. I know you aren't open to learning about raw diet; but there are better options out there if you want to make food for your dog that at least won't make his condition worse. Yes there's a lot of bias information out there and you shouldn't believe everything you read; but it's important to acknowledge the facts about nutrition that we do know better about now. And sadly vets for one DON'T know much about nutrition other than to recommend Science Diet.
It's great you want to learn it on your own and I commend that, but I assure you you'll end up coming to the same conclusion lol. A LOT of people who now feed raw didn't know better either when feeding kibble or cooked foods and everyone's gotta start somewhere! =) And no, not every dog will like it initially. If you put the same effort into feeding raw that you do for cooking (even searing the edges as sometimes dogs don't realize it's food since it has no odor) I truly feel you'll have a much healthier dog on your hands. I know a lot of people have tried offering advice before to you and I won't push it further; you just also have to realize that a lot of us here are uber passionate about dogs (obviously why else would we be here LOL) and we just want the best for them; which is why it does upset folks to see a dog being fed something that we know may be doing more harm than good. And it's OBVIOUS you love and care about Dex; there's no doubt about that! I just hope you'll be open minded to some of the better alternatives to raw if you are dead-set against it. Lots of folks here feed EXCELLENT quality dehydrated raw or 6-star grain free kibbles and their dogs reap the same benefits! I just strongly encourage you to check out dogfoodchat.com if you want NEW opinions on the situation. Tracy gave a great link above. I'll get off my soapbox now, and I hope you understand that none of this is targeted against you but just people concerned about the health of your baby. Remember, we care too LOL!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brody i only gave him a small servin and its even in a dog cookbook that this recipe was ok. he loves cheese! so this meal was just a small treat he had after his dinner. thank u for another link! ill be checkin it out soon :) it only looks fatty because of the i guess glistening look of the tomato soup o.o i even used organic. the cheese were all low sodium too. the rest of the ingrediens were no sodium

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey kahlua buddy! hehe thanks for the long long reply but i just dont think dex is up for raw....to me i really do believe home cookin can be just as good if u put the rite ingredients inside. this recipe even called for a bit of wheat germ so i was happy about that ;) its known to prevent heart disease and cancer if used in the rite dosage. i dont know how u guys think i cooked this but i have a feelin u guys think i threw in all fatty stuff. the beef was sauteed in no oil or anythin just a bit of beef powder which was also no sodium. if u can imagine the taste...it almost tasted like the beefyness of a taco but like...half the flavor lol!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Hi P! I like that new name! hahah No one is picking on you. We all LOVE Dexter, just cheese should be a no no if he has liver and stomach issues. Did you ever try Ziwipeak? It is air dried raw. It is expensive but they don't eat a large quantity of it. I personally don't like the idea of "raw" meat either even tho I know it has many benefits. I can handle the air dried and Frankie and Ben love it!
Sometime I cook them some ground chicken or turkey too, I add some brown rice and veggies. They pick the veggies out! Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey pam ;) yes ive tried ziwipeak before...he hated it...i hated it...the smell was horrendous. lol! im so glad it works for u but i just couldnt deal with the raw stench boilin and dex not even tryin it. the healthiest thing he did eat before for a bit was the honest kitchen...then he just stopped one day. agh so aggrevatin... aghhhhhhh :( thankie for suggestions. hes always eatin his veggies tho. sumtikes just for snafks hehe. stringbeans, shredded carrots, yellow and orange sweet peppers

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
hey pam ;) yes ive tried ziwipeak before...he hated it...i hated it...the smell was horrendous. lol! im so glad it works for u but i just couldnt deal with the raw stench boilin and dex not even tryin it. the healthiest thing he did eat before for a bit was the honest kitchen...then he just stopped one day. agh so aggrevatin... aghhhhhhh :( thankie for suggestions. hes always eatin his veggies tho. sumtikes just for snafks hehe. stringbeans, shredded carrots, yellow and orange sweet peppers
Ewww we tried Honest Kitchen, the kind you mix with water. Looked like baby food? They would not eat it, I was bummed. I tried Wysong and they loved it. The archetype kind but it is really expensive. Hope Dex feels better

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Unless the carrots are made into a ground pulp/puree (I'd just use baby carrots..easier imo) he's not getting anything out of them anyway...dogs can't process veggies that way. So lol can't blame him for ignoring them until last!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I didn't know you fed home cooked Pigeonsheep, I just assumed this was a treat
on the side kind of thing. I never thought to ask, but am curious now, what do
you feed Dex? My three are raw fed, but I'm interested because I find it so
tough to make a balanced home cooked meal for a dog. We were petsitting a
Dobie who was fed home cooked his entire life recently, so before leaving him
here his owners stuffed my freezer with chicken and meat, lol. I went along with
their diet, but made tiny alternations so it isn't so fatty. I tried talking them into
raw once they came to get him, and they later on told me they even tried it,
but did not stick with it. I definitely think there is a way to do home cooked
that'll be good for your pup, but when I had to try and figure out each meal for
the Dobie I definitely found it much harder than feeding raw,lol. At the end of the
day we are all just trying to feed our dogs the best we can, and I'm sure you
wouldn't purposely do anything to harm Dex.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's OK if you don't want to listen to what I have to say. I'm fine with that. But if you could just be open minded to learning, Dex would be better off. I know you want to do the right thing by him.

Maybe you would be open to listening to others who have a dog with liver disease? They've been through it personally and many of them home cook and could share recipes. Also lots of information on therapies such as milk thistle which help to repair the liver and it's a great place to exchange info and get support. Here's a couple of groups to get you started, I'm sure there are others ....

canineliver-d : This list is for owners of dogs who curr

Canine_liver_support : Canine Liver Support - Cirrhosis

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I also home cooked for our boy, ****. I did it for 8 months after he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He was not eating and I needed to be certain he was limited on sodium and his protein was a bit lower.

I did puree all the veg (sweet potato, spinach, broccoli) and I added turkey or chicken, egg, natural applesauce, brown rice and oats.

Now that I have researched more I know that I should have added vitamins and supplements to the food to make certain that he did not miss nutrients not present in the food.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts