Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 month old Chi called Murphy! He is very excitable and extremely loving. The problem is when it comes to doing his business its not consistent.

We are currently using puppy pads in our apartment...We have a couple in our bathroom and a couple in the hallway near the front door. He is doing it on the pads some of the time and when we see him doing it we praise him.

...unfortunately thou there are times he just does it in the front room and where ever other than the pads. One minute we think hes doing great then he goes and does one!! We take him for a walk of an evening rather than the morning.

Has anyone any suggestions?! We dont want to shout out him or be mad but obviously would like him to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi,

My advice is to take him out in the morning and evening as well as to have only 1 place where his puppy pads are. He might believe he can pee everywhere in the house as you give him several places where he can pee. So stick with one and take him out more often. Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Maybe use a playpen with pee pads in it, until he gets reliable. Monitor him, and don't let him have the run of the house until he gets the idea. Treats, praise alot when he is right. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
He won't be consistent for a while yet, meaning that you are going to have to monitor him CONSTANTLY. If he has an accident off the pad, that's your error not his because he's just not old enough yet to be able to be 100% reliable. He's not old enough to know that he's supposed to ONLY go on the pad.

So watch him every minute....EVERY MINUTE....he's not crated so he doesn't ever have an accident. Take him to the pad frequently. Make a BIG deal out of him going on the pad. Tether him to you if necessary so he can't EVER sneak away and go somewhere he's not supposed to. It's a lot of work. He's not going to just get it overnight, or even in a couple of months. But the more consistent you are, the faster he'll ultimately be reliable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is there no way you can take him outside? I was having really big problems getting Fenrir toilet trained until I started taking him out. He's now getting to be on a fairly good schedule. Interestingly enough, we still have the UGODOG (dog toilet system) down inside, and he's reliably going on that to poo if we don't notice him circling to take him outside. But yeah, for the most part he's getting good at going out. There have only been about three wee accidents on the floor in the last three weeks. I've coupled it with crate training and it seems to be doing the job.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hi my cocco is only 9 weeks old at the most i have a pad near the back door and i have that spray you spray down where you want them to go and he goes on it so maybe you could try that and see if it works but i also take him outside quite alot to to see if he needs to go good luck with your trainning

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since moving the other set of puppy pads....Murphy is getting it every time! Im very happy he's picked it up relatively quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts