Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Watch them like a hawk when they're inside. If they start sniffing around, take them outside. It's better not to give them the chance to even pee inside, because the more accidents they have, the harder it is to train them.
Bring the puppy outside a few times an hour, and when she pees, PRAISE her like crazy and give her treats.
If you catch her peeing in the house, clap loudly or say NO to get her to stop, and then bring her outside to encourage her to finish there.
If you find puddles on the floor inside, don't scold her. She won't know why you're scolding her, so just clean it up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I started immediately with mine as soon as I got him. The above advice is great. I only want to add that puppies especially need to be taken out any time after they:

1. Eat/Drink
2. Play or get excited
3. Wake up from a nap

(And of course any other time they are showing signs of needing to go, such as circling, sniffing, or whining).

Preventing any accidents inside will go a long way towards successful housetraining. When taking them out, you can use a certain word such as "Potty" or "Hurry Up" or whatever you want, and say it as they go so they learn to associate that word with their actions. And of course praise, praise, praise everytime they go correctly outside. Treats can be your best friend during the process as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
919 Posts
From the time I got her at 5 weeks. I was told to crate her or leash her to me when I couldn't watch her like a hawk. The advice was good. Maybe my follow through was lacking because at 9 months she still has accidents, tho' fairly rarely now.

The earlier posts have good advice, too.

She went out even in our recent cold spell down into the teens and twenties (Fahrenheit). If we lived where it was any colder, I'd consider potty pads.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have also found that taking them out at the same time everyday helps alot. Eventually they'll learn the schedule and know what to expect.
If I am busy or am not paying attention, my girls will come and stare at me when it's time to go out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts