Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola is now 15 weeks and still refuses to go toilet outside...or in fact anywhere apart from her puppy pad inside the house! We go on walks and she sniffs around and I've tried putting the pad down outside and going to a quiet area but no luck! Sometimes we are out for 5 hours and she'll hold it til she can get home! She's so well house trained she's only house trained! :D My trainer said to take her outside first thing in the morning when she's desperate to go and from then on remove any puupy pads in the house! But I'm so scared this will confuse her. She's building on her confidence at the moment and I don't want to overload her. But my trainer said that the longer I leave it the harder it will be and that I don't want my home to be a toilet! My other problem is I live in an apartment so have no private outside space. Every hour I was told to put on her harness and go outside with her but she won't go potty....so its a waste of time! I stand there encouraging her for ages! We come back in to the apartment and 10 mins later she'll use her pad!! :roll: I'm at a loss so any advice?? The only other thing is to do what the trainer says and remove her pads indoors..... but I'm scared to do that!! :? :?

Thanks Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I say bring her out in the morning when she usually goes...and bring a piddle pad with you. Place the piddle pad on the ground where you would like her to go and see if she will do that! If that works, I would continue to bing the pad a few more times and then try it without the pad. Make sure to give her lots of encouragement!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
With Cooper, I would say things like "good boy" or "going peepee!" when he'd use the puppy pads. When we made the conversion to outside, he knew what the words meant and it was almost a Pavlovian response when he'd do his thing outdoors.

You might also try taking one of the pads outdoors prior to taking your puppy. Turn it upside down and rub it on the grass so the grass smells like the pads. Maybe that would help if the pup had the smell on the grass to associate with going potty.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried that too! She know the words...."do a wee" which is pretty embarassing outside our apartment block :oops: but she refuses to oblige! I even have my treats all ready! I have also tried rubbing the pee from an old pad on the ground, spraying it with the potty spray, and putting a new pad down!! She's still not interested!! :roll: :roll: :roll: What is one to do.....? :? :?

Love Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd say what someone else said as soon she gets up in morn put her out. If need be put her in crate no pad. when you get up in morn take her immediatley outside giver he 20 minutes outside. Thats how I trained Lady, Lady now will go outside but if no access or severe weather she will go on pad. hope this helps

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You might, if you have the time, figure out how long it takes her to relieve herself after she eats or drinks then time it to where she's outdoors when the big moment comes.
It's possible she's testing you to see how dedicated you are to the outdoor peeing project as well. She'll figure it out eventually though, especially if you're not scared to make a fool of yourself in public! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is with Lola is that I pretty much know when she needs to go and how often really but she's does her pee and then sometimes 2 mins later she goes back and does a couple of drops and then again in another few mins! Then she's done!! Like yesterday afternoon I took her outside after she woke up and she did a little pee so I thought brilliant! Then we went back inside and she went to her pad and did the rest of what was obviously a big pee!! :roll: I'm thinking the only option I can try is to take away her inside pad so she can't!! But I feel so cruel! And she might be very confused and distressed? And then she'll also start peeing on my carpets instead!? What do you think? Maybe as long as she knows her pad is down inside then she doesn't have to make the effort to go outside?? :? And its very convenient for her because she'll sometimes walk past it and then remember she needs to go! And if she just decides to pee on the carpet then I can say NO but it will take too long to get her outside coz I live in an apartment and I'd have to get her lead on and go down there which is my opnion would be too late by then!? So....I'm in a bit of a predicament!!

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
how long are you leaving her out when she goes? I have a rule of thumb with newbies 20 minutes or unless they go before that. I would remove the pad in the am keep Lola out till she does what she has to do and not before. when she goes back in if she is sniffing looking for the pad put her back out tell her go do pee pees. I personally wouldnt put the pad down till after she did her bz outside and came back in. I guess I have more time than others to stay on top like a fly on manure ITs not easy lerking after a dog all day but if it isnt consistant it isnt going to happen. JMHO

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I also just remembered something from Cooper's manners class... the instructor told us a good rule of thumb is to take your puppy out according to their age. For instance, if your puppy is 3 months old, he or she can hold their bladder for about 3 hours. Five months, five hours. She said up until 9 months/hours, it is pretty much the "rule". Of course, Chis have a smaller bladder but Cooper can hold his for 9-10 hours if he must.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts